Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut

Timequake (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Kurt Vonnegut (Author)

There's been a timequake. And everyone-even you-must live the decade between February 17, 1991 and February 17, 2001 over again. The trick is that we all have to do exactly the same things as we did the first time-minute by minute, hour by hour, year by year, betting on the wrong horse again, marrying the wrong person again. Why? You'll have to ask the old science fiction writer, Kilgore Trout. This was all his idea.… (more)
Member:coolkidstuck
Title:Timequake
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut (Author)
Info:Berkley (1998), 250 pages

Work Information

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut (1997)

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (danconsiglio)
    danconsiglio: For people who like their books to hurt like f**king hell.

English (47)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
Timequake is the seventh Vonnegut book I've read, and by far the most hit or miss. His digressions, at points, are elegantly fluid and insightful; at others, they're rambling and repetitive, rough drafts of terrain he would cover in Man Without A Country, and attempts to use historical tragedies as justification for cynicism, which to me always sounds an awful lot like laziness. He also goes on and on about how books and theater are somehow more worthwhile than movies and TV, bloviates about the need for a family unit, and claims young people don't care about Abraham Lincoln thanks to television - real old man stuff. While there's some good moments here, it's too cranky without being much fun. I would direct readers interested in later Vonnegut to Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian and Man Without A Country, which are livelier and more enthusiastic than this book, which is pretty much only for completists. ( )
  greggmaxwellparker | May 17, 2021 |
As it says on the back cover:

"a wise, winning and utterly charming concoction of fiction, commentary and autobiography."

I fucking love Vonnegut.
Ting-a-ling. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Didn't really do it for me, though there are funny bits and good bits. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
Probably my least favorite of Vonnegut's books. It's still okay, but too self-referential and solipsistic. I'm surprised a reference to this book hasn't shown up in Lost yet.... Oh right, Abrams only likes to mention the popular books. ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |
A fascinating and fun blend of fiction and autogiography. I suppose this is not too surprizing, given that Vonnegut's real life is too unbelievable for fiction. ( )
  dandailey | Nov 8, 2020 |
Anyway, we should salute Vonnegut for giving us this, even if, as he suggests, he just tossed it off. It's not just his will that's free, but his mind. Timequake, both all over the place and perfectly fixed at the same time, is a sure-footed exemplar of the dictum that appears on page 191: 'Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different!'
added by andyl | editThe Guardian, Nicholas Lezard (Jul 25, 1998)

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bacon,PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Seymour Lawrence,

a romantic and great publisher

of curious tales told with ink

on bleached and flattened wood pulp
Ernest Hemingway in 1952 published in Life magazine a long short story called The Old Man and the Sea.
"You were sick, but now you're well again and there's work to do."

"Get a grip on your self, you brainless nervous breakdown."

"Every effort shall be made to make every person feel that he or she will be sorely missed when he or she is gone."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,524,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible