God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt…

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (original 1965; edition 1978)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:willinglungs
Title:God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Dell (1978), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (1965)

The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Both are funny satires of America - Waugh is more vicious.

English (36)  Hungarian (1)  English (37)
My second Vonnegut. Read this as my first book of my birthday challenge (chronologically read a book published each year that I've been alive). God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater was published in 1965.

Vonnegut satirizes the super rich and their views towards those that they consider beneath them. Their views are not too much different from today, it seems.

The Mr. Rosewater in the title is Eliot Rosewater, an alcoholic from a rich family, who gets "God Bless You" when he hands money out to the type of people that his family members find undeserving. He says, "Goddamn it, you've got to be kind".

Incidentally, this is the first Vonnegut in which Kilgore Trout appears in. Kilgore Trout is a sci-fi writer who makes appearances in many other Vonneguts, apparently. The synopses and extracts from this guy were amusing.

Vonnegut has such a following that my local used bookstore has told me they have a hard time keeping his books in stock. Being on a book budget currently, it may be a while before I get to read another one by him; so until then I'll just tackle books from my TBR rather than borrowing Vonneguts from the library. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Nov 14, 2016 |
Doing my yearly re-read of one of Vonnegut's novels. As always this is another one of his terrific satiric novels pointing out the 'flaws' in treating people like people. Humans like humans. Instead of treating people like servants, or users, or below us. ( )
  BenKline | Aug 7, 2016 |
Vonnegut at his absolute best. Entertaining, with a great set of characters (Kilgore Trout!) and brilliant narration, and satirically perfectly on point.

Mr. Rosewater is considered insane because he helps the useless, rejected and stupid without any personal gain. He needs no reason other than humanity, and even though his father and lawyers try to help him, to prove him sane, for the sake of their fortune and their greed, Eliot never understands why he can't do what he does, sees no reason not to, and happily, carelessly keeps doing so.
  bartt95 | Jun 22, 2016 |
1965 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
I just love Kurt Vonnegut! This was probably the best one of his I've read (you were right, Amy Roach!), though I'm not sure that I would have appreciated it as much without having read Slaughterhouse 5. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Second World War was over - and there I was at high noon, crossing Times Square with a Purple Heart on." -- Eliot Rosewater, President, The Rosewater Foundation
Omistettu Alvin Davisille,
telepaatikolle,
roistojen ystävälle
A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees.
He coined a new word for Sylvia's disease, "Samaritrophia," which he said meant, "hysterical indifference to the troubles of those less fortunate than oneself."
"It seems to me," said Trout, "that the main lesson Eliot learned is that people can use all the uncritical love they can get."

Eliot Rosewater—drunk, volunteer fireman, and President of the fabulously rich Rosewater Foundation—is about to attempt a noble experiment with human nature . . . with a little help from writer Kilgore Trout. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is Kurt Vonnegut’s funniest satire, an etched-in-acid portrayal of the greed, hypocrisy, and follies of the flesh we are all heir to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

A lawyer schemes to gain control of a large fortune by having the present claimant declared insane.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,691,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible