God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt…

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater (original 1965; edition 1978)

by Kurt Vonnegut

Member:willinglungs
Title:God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Authors:Kurt Vonnegut
Info:Dell (1978), Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Rating:***

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut (1965)

The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: Both are funny satires of America - Waugh is more vicious.

I haven't read Vonnegut for 40 years. He was something of the "voice" of my generation, and while I enjoyed "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater," I wonder whether his brand of snarky cynicism better appeals to a reader in his teens/twenties than where I am in life right now. In "Rosewater" the rich are corrupt, the poor are stupid, and we're left with the lesson that we should be nice to one another. Overall, at my age I found the book more of a diversion than a real read. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
I am a really big Vonnegut fan. Cat's Cradle is one of my most favorite books of all time and I love his sense of dark humor. Regardless of my love for his other works, this was not on my list of the best works I've read.

While there were some brilliant parts scattered about throughout the book, there were also parts that really just sounded like a bunch of babble that seemed rather useless and annoying to get through. These sections were made more off putting by the mere size of the book. The book isn't long (about 190 pages or so) so when these sections happened it felt like such a waste of the small amount of space he gave himself; space that could have gone toward an even more in depth examination of the issues he was addressing in the book.

Despite this, I still enjoyed the sections that didn't ramble enough to enjoy the book well enough. It just wasn't genius like his other works. I found myself giggling at his examination of the hypocrisy and greed that is so prevalent in the upper classes as well as the guilt that some claim to feel for their wealth. Rosewater, representing the person giving away his wealth to worthless causes while at the same time preaching the evils of money and his father claims that all those poor and destitute are there because they are put themselves with their lazy ways and stupidity.

Overall, the book was alright but not great. It had some pretty great parts that made me laugh in a "that's totally true" way, but nothing more than that. I wouldn't necessarily say that I don't recommend it, but there are better books out there than this. Especially better Vonnegut books. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
This was one of those books that sat around on my shelves waiting for the right moment to be read. It is very timely right now, dealing with wealth inequality and the inability of the rich to empathize with the rest of society.
Overall I loved this one, but the ending left just a bit to be desired for me. It had one of those abrupt Vonnegut endings that you only see coming because you know you're running out of pages.
This is vague, but that's how I roll. ( )
  Booktacular | Aug 16, 2014 |
them happy feels ( )
  Stacie_Strouse | Jul 15, 2014 |
Kurt Vonnegut satirizes the 1% before it was popular. I'll bet he had everyone in mind. But, I did not get the full effect of the satire...it wasn't that funny. I guess you had to be there ( )
  buffalogr | Feb 20, 2014 |

Kurt Vonnegutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kapari, MarjattaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The Second World War was over - and there I was at high noon, crossing Times Square with a Purple Heart on." -- Eliot Rosewater, President, The Rosewater Foundation
Omistettu Alvin Davisille,
telepaatikolle,
roistojen ystävälle
A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees.
He coined a new word for Sylvia's disease, "Samaritrophia," which he said meant, "hysterical indifference to the troubles of those less fortunate than oneself."
"It seems to me," said Trout, "that the main lesson Eliot learned is that people can use all the uncritical love they can get."

Eliot Rosewater—drunk, volunteer fireman, and President of the fabulously rich Rosewater Foundation—is about to attempt a noble experiment with human nature . . . with a little help from writer Kilgore Trout. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater is Kurt Vonnegut’s funniest satire, an etched-in-acid portrayal of the greed, hypocrisy, and follies of the flesh we are all heir to.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:06 -0400)

A lawyer schemes to gain control of a large fortune by having the present claimant declared insane.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,922,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible