Monk's Hood by Ellis Peters

Monk's Hood (1980)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (3)

Recently added byacog, Arenda17, private library, aelfscine, Siubhan, cjmagenta, libham88, BethThompson, SuziSteffen

English (25)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (31)
Another smart Cadfael mystery wherein he is slightly more bothered by others and slightly less of a genius than in the first two. Super focus late in the book on Welsh law vs. English law, something I think the author knew well. Brother Mark seems like a good addition to Cadfael's orbit as well. ( )
  SuziSteffen | Feb 20, 2018 |
Monk's Hood is a cozy murder mystery starring Brother Cadfael, a Middle Ages monk -- when a landowner man turns up poisoned and the abbey is embroiled in whether they may or may not own his land, Brother Cadfael is on the side of right to find the murderer and nice guy that he is, he also frees him!.

I love the wholesome feel of this book. Given a lot of what I read, I kept half-expecting Brother Cadfael to have hidden longings for the woman of his youth, or to question his faith, or to have some kind of queer twist -- just to be edgy. But this book is not at all like that, and a break from all that active edginess in recent publications is extremely calming (even though I'm so trained into that worldview that the perfection does require some suspension of disbelief ;)). I wish I hadn't found the language itself to require such serious, read-aloud-in-my-head-style attention -- if it had been a faster read, I'm sure I'd devour all of the series. ( )
  pammab | Dec 14, 2017 |
I blew through this short, but fun mystery in one day of travel. Cadfael is a classic and managed to fool me on at least one misdirection. The mystery wasn't the central part of the story for me. I enjoyed the interplay of the brothers in the convent and the politics of the Welsh vs. the English more. I'll definitely look for more in this series. ( )
  MarysGirl | Nov 7, 2017 |
I believe I've seen this one at some stage so much of the plot was known to me before reading. Cadfael finds that a murder and an old flame are interlinked and he has to deal with abbey politics to find the truth. Much issues about mistaken identity and many intriguing moments where poison is used from Cadfael's own herbarium. When the sheriff is certain he knows how the murder was committed it doesn't work for Cadfael. He also needs to work through his feelings for Richildis, an ex-flame whose light has been quenched by distance and time.

Interesting read, I must read more of these.
  wyvernfriend | Sep 11, 2017 |
A mystery set in the year 1138. Brother Cadfael, a monk in charge of herbal remedies in the Abbey makes inquiries when one of those remedies was used for murder. His investigation is humane and charitable, following the tenet of his order. A satisfying whodunnit, with the added interest of a background setting in the Middle Ages. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 5, 2017 |

Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valla, RiccardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Volkovskiĭ, V. E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, JohannaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On this particular morning at the beginning of December, in the year 1138, Brother Cadfael came to chapter in tranquillity of mind, prepared to be tolerant even towards the dull, pedestrian reading of Brother Francis, and long-winded legal haverings of Brother Benedict the sacristan.
Dit boek werd eerst uitgegeven met als oorspr. titel: Venijn in monnikskap. - Zutphen : Thieme, 1986. Pas in 1988 is Het gemene gewas, als zijnde het 3e deel van de serie Broeder Cadfaël.

Im Herbst des Jahres 1138 fällt in der Abtei zu Shrewsburg der Edelmann Gervase Bonel einem heimtückischen Giftanschlag zum opfer. Der Kreis der Verdächtigen ist klein: sein Sohn Edwin hatte Grund genug, den Tod des verhaßten Stiefvaters zu wünschen, ebenso Aelfric, Bonels Knecht. Doch auch ein scheinbar Außenstehender weiß um die Herkunft des Giftes. Auf der Suche nach der Lösung dieses komplizierten Mordfalles verschlägt es Bruder Cadfael sogar in die rauhe Welt der Waliser Berge.

Gervase Bonel, with his wife and servants, is a guest of Shrewsbury Abbey of Saint Peter and Saint Paul when he is suddenly taken ill. Brother Cadfael hurries to the man's bedside, to discover that Bonel has been fatally poisoned.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,036,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible