How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad…

How to Teach Physics to Your Dog (edition 2010)

by Chad Orzel

221None52,544 (3.77)8
Member:duanewilliams
Title:How to Teach Physics to Your Dog
Authors:Chad Orzel
Info:Scribner (2010), Paperback, 256 pages

How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel

So two weeks ago (and by two weeks, I mean that’s what the calendar says. It really feels like months ago), finished Chad Orzel’s How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog. I enjoyed it a lot, and it sparked an interest in physics. I ordered all of the books from the library, and I’ve been working my way through them along with all the less fun stuff for my Capstone. So, I thought I’d give Orzel’s first physics book a spin since the second was so accessible, so I read How to Teach Physics to Your Dog over the last week.

My brain hurts. Again.

Instead of relativity, this book takes on quantum mechanics, or the world where things are very very small. Like on the single photon, piece of an atom level. And how classical physics, like the world of cars, planes, and soup, breaks down into weirdness when things get very small. He covers the particle/wave duality of light, the Schrodinger paradox, superpositions, quantum tunneling and entanglement, and a host of other topics. And, just as before, they are presented in accessible ways.

Full review at: http://johnmackfreeman.com/blog/?p=324 ( )
  johnmackfreeman | Sep 4, 2013 |
A very readable introduction to the current knowledge about quantum physics. The interludes with the dog both gave examples of the concepts at a simplified level and provided good in-book breaks from the more dense discussion (and let's face it; QM is complicated enough that even a popularized version takes some brainpower to read). ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |
very good intro to quantum physics; surprisingly complex and thorough, not afraid to challenge the reader; especially nice detail regarding experiments
  FKarr | Apr 3, 2013 |
This had more physics and less dog that I could have asked for, but it was totally readable and fascinating. I don't have the background to comment on how accurate it is, but I would totally recommend it as a quick overview of the basic concepts in quantum physics. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
Generally good clear descriptions of quantum physics in an accessible fashion. However in some respects the attempt to do this by teaching it to a dog was less than perfect. At times the links to the dog were effectively abandoned, at others the links and analogies were perhaps rather forced. ( )
  Pyobon | Jan 6, 2013 |
It is extremely well-written, combining a scientist's rigor and accuracy with a natural raconteur's storytelling skill.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Dec 22, 2009)

To Kate, whose laugh started the whole thing
The Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society has set up a little path through the woods near their facility outside Troy, so you can take a walk with a dog you're thinking of adopting.
How to Teach Physics to Your Dog has been issued as How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog in the UK by Oneworld Publications.

Who better to teach the magic of quantum physics than a talking dog? Sit down with Orzel and his dog Emmy as the author explains the laws of physics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible