How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad…

How to Teach Physics to Your Dog (edition 2010)

by Chad Orzel

Member:duanewilliams
Title:How to Teach Physics to Your Dog
Authors:Chad Orzel
Info:Scribner (2010), Paperback, 256 pages

How to Teach Physics to Your Dog by Chad Orzel

Quantum physics may still remain an unsolved mystery to me, for the most part, but I feel I understand some of its quirky aspects better now. I've read a few books for laymen on this subject, and the sad fact is that it may be simply so counter-intuitive that it my brain won't accept it. My 'that don't make sense' filter seems to kick in. When I read such books, I keep stopping to question the findings and ask, "How could that be?" (Unfortunately, my math skills are inadequate to help me overcome this.) Still, somehow I feel there must be some underlying order in the universe, but, then again, perhaps not.
In any event, this book is a (supposedly) imagined conversation between a physics professor and his dog. I found it quite entertaining. Things I especially liked were the one Terry Pratchett reference (and footnotes)and the last chapter, which is about the charlatans and other profiteers who misuse the language of quantum physics to promote bogus things like free energy and magic healing. If you're fascinated by quantum and what it means, pick up this book. I can't say you'll understand quantum electrodynamics when you're done reading it, but you will be entertained and perhaps more knowledgeably confused, and, most importantly, less likely to be taken in by hucksters misusing the terms to sell quantum snake oil. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
The best explanation I've found of quantum physics' basic principles for a lay lay lay person. You can infer from the title that this book does not belong on a doctoral candidate's Works Cited page. If, however, you've found yourself unable to recall the major foundations of quantum physics no matter how many cute animated YouTube videos you've watched, you'll have no trouble after reading this. A humorous midpoint between a tome and a For Dummies, and a quick read. ( )
  Sarah_Beaudette | Apr 13, 2015 |
So two weeks ago (and by two weeks, I mean that’s what the calendar says. It really feels like months ago), finished Chad Orzel’s How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog. I enjoyed it a lot, and it sparked an interest in physics. I ordered all of the books from the library, and I’ve been working my way through them along with all the less fun stuff for my Capstone. So, I thought I’d give Orzel’s first physics book a spin since the second was so accessible, so I read How to Teach Physics to Your Dog over the last week.

My brain hurts. Again.

Instead of relativity, this book takes on quantum mechanics, or the world where things are very very small. Like on the single photon, piece of an atom level. And how classical physics, like the world of cars, planes, and soup, breaks down into weirdness when things get very small. He covers the particle/wave duality of light, the Schrodinger paradox, superpositions, quantum tunneling and entanglement, and a host of other topics. And, just as before, they are presented in accessible ways.

Full review at: http://johnmackfreeman.com/blog/?p=324 ( )
  johnmackfreeman | Sep 4, 2013 |
It is extremely well-written, combining a scientist's rigor and accuracy with a natural raconteur's storytelling skill.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Dec 22, 2009)

To Kate, whose laugh started the whole thing
The Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society has set up a little path through the woods near their facility outside Troy, so you can take a walk with a dog you're thinking of adopting.
How to Teach Physics to Your Dog has been issued as How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog in the UK by Oneworld Publications.

Who better to teach the magic of quantum physics than a talking dog? Sit down with Orzel and his dog Emmy as the author explains the laws of physics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,703,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible