The Darkest Hours

by Jim Butcher

Series: Spider-Man Novel (9)

19411107,575 (3.69)2
A stunningly packaged trade paperback reissue of Pocket Books' original Spider-Man novel--from New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher. Peter Parker's life has hit a peaceful stretch. No evildoers have tried to flatten him in weeks, his marriage to Mary Jane is stronger than ever, and he's enjoying his job as a high school science teacher. Life is good. But, naturally, that doesn't last. When Peter learns that his old enemy the Rhino is on a rampage in Times Square, he suits up as Spider-Man to stop the destructive villain in his tracks. But he's unexpectedly foiled by the Black Cat, a former ally and old flame. The Cat informs Peter that the Rhino is just a distraction--the real threat comes from a group of Ancients, members of the same race as the being called Morlun, who Spidey defeated in battle years earlier. The Ancients are now looking to exact revenge--and hope to steal Spider-Man's life force in the process.… (more)

I was pleasantly surprised. ( )
  daeverett | May 27, 2020 |
Audiobook. I'd read anything Jim Butcher wrote even Spiderman. I'm not a Spiddy fan BTW. Now for the real shocker, I liked it, really liked it. The story had all the right levels of action, emotional moments and fun. The narrator did an excellent job, the author, well he can do no wrong. ( )
  TheYodamom | Nov 30, 2019 |
I picked this up not because it was Spider-Man but because it was written by Jim Butcher, one of my favourite authors.

First the disclaimer - I’ve never read any Spider-Man books, graphic novels or comics, so my only knowledge of him is a couple of the early films. What I failed to appreciate is the presence of so many other “supers” in his stories. This I found distracting. I could happily suspend disbelief in the main character as everything was related from his point of view. The other “supers” though, not so much. I was thinking of giving up on the book, but I am glad I persisted.

The writing is classic Butcher - bags of tension leavened with humour and snark; amazing escapes; a bit of philosophising; a strong moral code in the lead character, and a couple of subplots running alongside the main one.

The narrator was good, giving distinctive voices to all the characters.

I did enjoy it, in the end, though I could have done with a crib-sheet with some background to all the “supers” mentioned so that I could appreciated their significance. But that’s just me. I will probably listen to it again, though not as often as I listen to the Dresden Files. ( )
  Kindleifier | Nov 17, 2019 |
This is my Jim Butcher! Angsty but funny.
  2wonderY | Nov 15, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of Butcher and a big fan of Spidey - no contest. Not a bad little story and definitely a different look at the Rhino as well as some great interplay between Mary-Jane and the Black Cat. ( )
  ViciousJ | Aug 25, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

Thank you, Stan. Excelsior.
My name is Peter Parker and I'm the sort of person who occasionally gets in a little over his head.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,090,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible