Second Sight by Amanda Quick

Second Sight (2006)

by Amanda Quick

Series: The Arcane Society (1)

975None8,901 (3.61)19
    Copper Beach by Jayne Ann Krentz (tmommy4)
    tmommy4: Well actually start with second sight and read all of the arcane novels. Paranormal, crystal energy.
    Warrior by Zoë Archer (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Harmony (After Dark / Bridal Jitters) by Jayne Castle (jholcomb)

I just loved this book!

The characters are engaging, dynamic, and quite entertaining! Amanda Quick is known not just for her exciting adventures and steamy romances, but also for the comedic prose that has readers laughing out loud at the dialogue between characters.

Venetia Milton is thoroughly likable. A young charismatic photographer with a sense of adventure, she cares for her younger siblings and elderly aunt after her parents past away. She is clever with a strong sense of responsibility, loyalty, and kindness. She is a heroine the reader can't help but admire! Little does she know that her life is about to change after she embarks on a project to photograph old relics for the Jones family...

Gabriel Jones, the Jones family heir, is intelligent, dashingly handsome, and good at keeping secrets hidden. On a mission to discover who stole the recipe for the founder's formula, he embarks on a mission that can cost him his life and the lives of those he cares for. His protective nature, sense of humor, and compassion are a perfect match for Venetia and make him an excellent and thrilling hero.

The characters in the plot from young Edward to Gabriel's parents are wonderfully scripted! With a robust cast of characters, a clever and twisting plot, and a hot and sultry romance, this book was one I enjoyed immensely. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
This book starts a series by Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz about The Arcane Society. Venetia Milton is a fashionable photographer living in London posing as a recent widow. Her business is thriving and enables her to support her family. Her supposedly deceased husband, Gabriel Jones, suddenly appears in London telling her she is in danger because by using his name she has attracted the attention of someone who is trying to find a secret formula that has been missing for centuries. Both Gabriel and Venetia have some "Psychical abilities" that prove useful as they try to identify who the person is that has started killing people around them.

There is just enough romance, mystery and paranormal to make the book interesting. It took me a little while to get into the book but once I did I read it quickly.

I believe there are 12 books in this series. I found on the internet an "order of reading" by readers that is different than the order the author listed. I think I will try the order by readers just to see how that works. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Oct 18, 2013 |
Really, I'd have to say this is more of a 3 1/2 star book, not quite four stars...about a page and a half into the first chapter, I experienced major deja-vu. I'm positive I started reading this book before, but don't remember finishing it. I have no idea why...it's pretty good, if a little overdone in parts. Gabriel and Venetia are interesting characters, with witty and fun dialogue. The supernatural elements are subtle but interesting. It was a page turner, or would have been if I'd been reading a version with pages. I listened to it on audio, and though it was well done overall, the transition between chapters tended to be disconcertingly abrupt. It didn't seriously detract from my enjoyment of it, however. I am interested in checking out others in the series, though I've got (many!) other books on my list to read before then. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 20, 2013 |
Second Sight by Amanda Quick
Book #1 in The Arcane Society
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Venetia Milton is a Victorian-era photographer with the uncanny ability to see people's auras. Gabriel Jones is a member of the Arcane Society, which has hired Venetia to photographic their mysterious collection of relics. When these two meet, sparks fly in more ways than one and they must ultimately join forces to catch a killer intent on discovering the secret formula to enhance psychic abilities.

Review:
This is a quick and entertaining read (no pun intended). The prose flows and the characters are well developed. The romantic leads have a sweet relationship and there are some interesting details on early photographic techniques.
Nevertheless, I had some minor issues. First, the mystery outweighs the romance, and second, the discovery of the killer's identity and his demise are quite sudden and anti-climactic. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
This is, to my mind, one of Ms Quick's lesser works. Seems like most of the characters in here have some kind of psychic or paranormal power and I find that just plain silly. Take that element out and make it a tale of a secret society and a secret formula, and it might just work. Not to say that Gabriel isn't devastatingly attractive, but the flannel that surrounds the story makes it not worth reading more than once. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |

Amanda Quickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palmer Molera, Magdalena TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cathie Linz: Great Write, Great Photographer, Great Friend
Prologue ----- Late in the reign of Queen Victoria...... The skeleton lay on an elaborately carved and gilded bed in the center of the ancient laboratory that had become the chemist's tomb.
Amanda Quick also writes Arcane Society novels under her real name of Jayne Ann Krentz and pen name Jayne Castle.

Venetia Milton's memories of a romantic night with Gabriel Jones--an alchemist's descendant--are shattered soon thereafter by news of his death. Adopting the guise of his respectable widow, she embarks on a new career as a fashionable photographer in London, where her unique ability to "see" beyond her subjects makes her photographs highly prized.

But Venetia's romantic whim causes unexpected trouble. For one thing, Mr. Jones is about to stride, living and breathing, back into her life. And someone he is tracking will go to any length, even murder, to possess an ancient, extraordinary secret that has been lost for centuries--someone who believes that, as the "wife" of Mr. Jones, Venetia is the key ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515142808, Mass Market Paperback)

In financial straits and on a sure path to spinsterhood, Venetia Milton thought her stay at the remote, ramshackle Arcane House, far from society’s prying eyes, would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to engineer her own ravishment. She was there to photograph the relics and artifacts collected by a highly secretive organization, founded two centuries earlier by an eccentric alchemist. And the alchemist’s descendant - her employer, Mr. Gabriel Jones - had the eyes of a sorcerer . . . After a night to remember, Venetia is prepared to cherish the memories of her romantic encounter and move on, but she is shattered when, shortly after their night together, she reads of Jones’s death in the papers. As a private tribute to her one-time lover, she adopts the name “Mrs. Jones” and the guise of a respectable widow, and embarks on a new career as a fashionable photographer in London, where her unique ability to “see” beyond her subjects and capture that quality in her photography makes her photographs highly prized. But her romantic whim causes unexpected trouble. For one thing, Mr. Jones is about to stride, living and breathing, back into her life. And the bonds that tie them together include more than just the memory of passion; Venetia’s special “double vision” has caught the attention of someone Mr. Jones is tracking - someone who will go to any lengths, even murder, to possess an ancient, extraordinary secret that has been lost for centuries. Someone who believes that as the “wife” of Mr. Jones, Venetia is the key. Now, as she introduces Gabriel about town as her miraculously back-from-the-dead “husband,” Venetia must join him in a perilous quest to track down a dangerous opponent who manages to stay one step ahead. As they explore the darker, wilder underbelly of the modern, scientific Victorian world, they must see through society’s illusions - or this time, Gabriel Jones may not be coming from the dead, and neither may Mrs. Jones.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:24 -0400)

Venetia Milton earns big bucks photographing the artifacts owned by the brooding Gabriel Jones, whom she also manages to seduce, but after hearing that he is dead, she is stunned when he winds up on her doorstep very much alive and afraid for his life.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible