An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

by Ambrose Bierce

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge opens with the story's hero, Peyton Farquhar, hanging bound from a bridge, awaiting hanging. Farquhar is a Confederate sympathizer in the American Civil War and has been brought to this end by a Union spy. The novel was unique in its time for its jumbled chronology and is also famous for its surprising conclusion.… (more)

Just when you think he did it!! Oh my god, I was so not ready for this twist!!!! Loved it! ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
I liked this story. I'm an Ambrose Bierce fan. After reading it I discovered an old black and white movie version of this. Not bad. This story recounts the thoughts of a condemned man before he is hung. Or is he actually hung? ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
I'm rapidly becoming a huge fan of Mr. Bierce. I didn't think I'd like his Civil War fiction half as much as the fantastical kind, but he definitely has a knack for the surreal in any setting. After reading a couple dozen of his short stories and getting through the period aspects of the wordplay, I find a sophisticated interest in the nature of perception and solid hammer-blows for endings. ( )
1 vote bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
What did I just read?! Hrm. I've never read Bierce. Most of my Lit degree was focused on mid- to late-20th century writers or British writers. I think I have been too long away from studying literature. I am pretty sure I missed 99.99999% of the imagery and allusions. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 5, 2016 |
An extremely effective study of the state of mind of a man about to be hanged, during the Civil War. The vivid realism is undoubtedly enhanced by the fact that Bierce himself was a member of the Union Army. Perhaps he even was involved in a similar execution? ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

This is the short story only. Please do not combine with anthologies. If you know that an edition contains additional stories, please separate and combine with the correct collection.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,563,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible