Children of Dune (Gollancz) by Frank Herbert

Children of Dune (Gollancz) (original 1976; edition 2012)

by Frank Herbert (Author)

For use in schools and libraries only. On the planet of Aurakis, men, nature, and time attend the messianic and evolutionary growth of Leto and his twin sister Ghanima, children and successors of the mighty Muad'Dib.
Member:ThomasBrand
Title:Children of Dune (Gollancz)
Authors:Frank Herbert (Author)
Info:Orion Publishing Group (2012), 426 pages

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert (1976)

English (70)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
It's well-written, and dense. Exactly the kind of thinky scifi I used to happily devour in my 20s. I'm still vaguely uncomfy with all the blatant imperialism but I'm also increasingly inclined to give it the same pass I give the monarchism that pervades basically all of Fantasy. Like, why should that be okay but not this? I guess I could argue for a preference for deeply immoral forms of government being background noise rather than the central thrust of the narrative, but idk. Feels like splitting hairs. ( )
  MoonLibrary | Oct 18, 2021 |
Although Dune Messiah (Dune #2) wasn't one of my favorites, this one was much more interesting. The way the Atreides family evolves and works its way into the Dune planet went in some unexpected and interesting ways. The interesting parts for this one though, took a while to come out. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
The heirs to a galactic empire use mind powers to seize power.

2/4 (Indifferent).

It's a lot better than "Dune Messiah." But it's not anywhere near good enough to justify 600 pages of pretentious joylessness.

(May 2021) ( )
  comfypants | May 10, 2021 |
In this third installment of the chronicles, we jump 9 years after Dune Messiah. Paul and Chani Atreides twins, Leto and Ghanima, are infused with knowledge of the past and future because of the actions of their parents. There Aunt Alia is temporary on the throne until the twins come of age, but Alia’s mental stability is declining. She leading towards darkness. The twins follow their fate and Leto becomes something unthinkable and wondrous.

I am a fan of family sagas, and so far the Dune Chronicles are fast becoming one of my favorites. Usually, the fact the book being science fiction would get 1 thumb down, but this series has been different. With the sci-fi twists, I never would have guessed what would happen. It helps that I keep picturing the actors that will be in the new movie. Hard not to like Duncan Idaho's character when he’s being played by Jason Momoa in your head. Compared to the first and second books I found this one moved quicker. I felt there is more action

The political side of the stories I do not completely follow. Sometimes it is a little over my head. Herbert does not get into too much detail when he describes things. He is not Stephen King, meaning he does not over-describe situations. Sometimes I wish he would add a little more when it comes to people talking and a little more straightforward with their thoughts.

I am very curious as to what is to come in the next couple of books. I plan to read them all...even the newer ones I think. ( )
  lavenderagate | Feb 16, 2021 |
Utterly bizarre book. The first Dune was excellent, one of the best books I have read, the second was not as good, more verbose, but still ok. This book makes very little sense. The characters are strange. The plot is needlessly convoluted and littered with deus ex machina...the narrative is uninteresting, one particular plot point was rather sad and pathetic...it should be 2.5 stars.

This gives me a very bad feeling about the remaining three books ( )
1 vote Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Di Fate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hahn, Ronald M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bev: Out of the wonderful commitment of our love and to share her beauty and her wisdom for she truly inspired this book.
A spot of light appeared on the deep red rug which covered the raw rock of the cave floor.

The Children of Dune are twin siblings Leto and Ghanima Atreides, whose father, the Emperor Paul Muad'Dib, disappeared in the desert wastelands of Arrakis nine years ago. Like their father, the twins possess supernormal abilities--making them valuable to their manipulative aunt Alia, who rules the Empire in the name of House Atreides.

Facing treason and rebellion on two fronts, Alia's rule is not absolute. The displaced House Corrino is plotting to regain the throne while the fanatical Fremen are being provoked into open revolt by the enigmatic figure known only as The Preacher. Alia believes that by obtaining the secrets of the twins' prophetic visions, she can maintain control over her dynasty.

But Leto and Ghanima have their own plans for their visions--and their destinies....
Trapped by prescience
Old ways erode and transform
A new Golden Path
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,469,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible