In the Trees, Honey Bees!

by Lori Mortensen

"This introduction to a wild colony of honeybees offers close-up views of the queen, the cells, even bee eggs, and an understanding of their lives"--Provided by the publisher.

Today I finished a book called “In the Trees, Honey Bee” by Lori Mortensen. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the writing was very engaging. The author did a wonderful job of using rhyming words to transition to the factual information she wanted to share with the audience. For example, on page 4 it says “sisters fly through the sky” which then helps the audience prepare for the factual information the author wants to share next. On page 5 the author states “soon thousands of honey bees leave the hive to find the blossoms. These honey bees are called ‘worker’ bees. They are all sister.” The rhyming words are used by the author to connect the information with a fun way of telling a story about honey bees. Second, I liked the illustrations depicted throughout the story. All of the vibrant colors and the amount of detail put into the pictures really helps the reader to apply a visual to the information being shared. On pages 12 and 13, the author shares with the reader that nurse bees take care of eggs that the queen bee lays. The illustrations show the reader what the eggs look like and how the nurse bees feed the eggs. For a young child, these pictures can help to clarify the text. Lastly, I believe the big idea of this story is to share the important role the honey bee plays in our environment. ( )
  KatherineBoersen | Mar 4, 2018 |
a detailed description and explanation about the different aspects of honey bees: where they live, what they eat, how they survive.
7 book
  TUCC | Jan 10, 2017 |
This is a cute story that will engage students to be excited about learning about what bees and bugs actually do for the environment instead of just annoy. I wish I would have had a book like this when I was a child to know what all the insects are out there. I will definitely read this to my class in the future. Maybe like second grade and we can have this lead into a discussion about bugs and maybe a science unit on the topic.
  RebeccaRunning | Oct 18, 2013 |
Winner of the iParenting Media Award. Use with Pre-K through 1st grade. Children will enjoy hearing the rhyming and seeing the vivid illustrations. This book talks all about honey bees through short rhymes and informational blips. Addresses bees, rhyming, pollinaiton, science, etc. In the classroom, use for read alouds and learning phonological awareness. For the science aspect, have students observe honey bees, construct their own honey bee homes, have a beekeeper visit the class, and taste local honey.
  klordy66 | Nov 11, 2011 |
My Thoughts:Here’s the truth: I’m prejudiced against small presses. Why? I’ve been given a lot of freebies from small publishers. For the most part, there is a reason why a book is only published by a small press; big presses aren’t impressed and the book is passed on. So I anticipated that this book would be a bust. Not so. This one is a keeper. Brilliant illustrations. Terse yet action filled text. Additional information provided for those who want to know more. A nice bibliography.And the children loved it. Ten, they shouted, when I asked for ratings, and I had to remind them that five was a top score. I can’t wait to share this with teachers and other kids. It will be checked out. A lot.A Sample:“Lots of food.Hungry brood.(bottom of page) Three days after the queen lays an egg, it hatches into a hungry larva. Nurse bees feed it a rich supply of food from glands in their heads. During its egg and larva stages, nurse bees will feed it more than 100,000 times.”Children’s Comments:Aryn, 6, said, "I liked the rhyme. I liked the pictures. I liked how the story went with the pictures."Kaylin, 6, said, "I liked the color of the pictures."Joaquin, 6, said, "I liked the part where the bees were in the hive."Stevie, 6, said, "I liked how everything was so close."Children’s Ratings: 5, 5, 5, 5 ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,286,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible