SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Dune Messiah (original 1969; edition 1975)

by Frank Herbert (Author)

The sisterhood of the Bene Gesserit plots to seize control of the galaxy-wide empire of their supernatural leader, while on Arrakis, the Maud'dib, the heir to an unimaginable power, confronts new challenges.
Member:JaynesHat
Title:Dune Messiah
Authors:Frank Herbert (Author)
Info:Berkeley Medallion Books (1975), Edition: paperback / softback

Work Information

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

More Dune ( )
  dualmon | Nov 17, 2021 |
The thing that's hard for me is reconciling the awful politics (imperialism, borderline eugenics, messiah figures vs masses) with the amount of empathy I feel for the individuals losing their loved ones etc, I was literally sobbing at the end of the book. I know ignoring bad politics is kind of a prerequisite to enjoying a lot of scifi/fantasy, but the politics in this one seem so much a part of it that they're hard to shrug off like that? I don't know. I have more thinking to do on this. The thing that makes it even harder is I don't think Herbert LIKES the politics he proposes in these books, but rather sees them as inevitable and bad and better than any alternative, but he's still wrong. ( )
  MoonLibrary | Nov 11, 2021 |
A new science fiction novel by the winner of the Hugo and Nebula awards for DUNE
This is the second novel in Frank Herbert's great trilogy that begins in the most honored of all novels of imagination, DUNE...
  PBlaylock | Nov 7, 2021 |
  MoonLibrary | Oct 14, 2021 |
I really like the original Dune, and at first this did not really grab my interest - it took me a while to really get going. However, the last part of the book really brings everything together. Looking back, I have to say I loved this book. ( )
  MarcHutchison | Jul 11, 2021 |

Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Webber, Phil H.Author photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969

Dune Messiah continues the story of Paul Atreides, better known--and feared--as the man christened Muad'Dib. As Emperor of the Known Universe, he possesses more power than a single man was ever meant to wield. Worshipped as a religious icon by the fanatical Fremens, Paul faces the enmity of the political houses he displaced when he assumed the throne--and a conspiracy conducted within his own sphere of influence.

And even as House Atreides begins to crumble around him from the machinations of his enemies, the true threat to Paul comes to his lover, Chani, and the unborn heir to his family's dynasty...
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,362,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible