Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Dune Messiah (original 1969; edition 1972)

by Frank Herbert

Member:souloftherose
Title:Dune Messiah
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:New English Library (1972), Edition: 2, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Use for recommendations
Tags:Science fiction, 20th century fiction, American author, Series: Dune, Published: 1969, Location: spare room - contemporary fiction

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (1969)

English (81)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (83)
Herbert's sequels to _DUNE_ are not as consistently all-consuming, but they do move the story along. If you only want to read _DUNE_ and _Dune Messiah_, you will have read the two most important books of the series. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I don't normally look at reviews of a book prior to writing my own take on it, but sometime I just draw a blank after finishing a book. Some books are harder to review than others, sometime because I feel ambivalent about them, sometime I don’t fully understand them, and sometime I don’t know the reason, they just are. After finishing Dune Messiah I feel like I need some kind of launching pad to start off the review, some inspiration or perhaps I will resort to simply ripping off somebody’s review wholesale (unfortunately Cecily has not reviewed this one yet so I'll pass on the last option ;)

[b:Dune|234225|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639], as you are undoubtedly aware, is probably the most famous sci-fi novel of all time. Dune Messiah is like Frank Herbert’s equivalent of Michael Jackson’s “Bad” album in that it has to follow up a once in a lifetime mega hit and is doomed to come up short. Having read the book I do not get the feeling that Frank Herbert was feeling under pressure to match Dune’s success. Perhaps authors are not subject to the same level of pressure as pop stars.

At around 340 pages Dune Messiah is about half the length of Dune, it is also very different in tone and pacing. It starts off twelve years after the events of Dune. Our literally know it all hero Paul "Muad'Dib" Atreides is now Emperor of the known universe and is having a suitably heroic melancholic time of it on account of the jihad which caused billions of death in his name. In the meantime powerful enemies are ganging up to snuff him out because he is too powerful, he is literally a know-it-all thanks to his oracular powers, and nobody likes a smartass. His wife concubine can not have a baby because his legal wife slipped her some contraceptive (and oracular powers apparently do not cover food additives). To make matters worse (or perhaps better) his dead teacher Duncan Idaho is returned to him as a sort of clone (ghola) with a suspicious mission and a new highly ominous name of Hayt. With all the odds stacked against him how can he survive? With panache of course!

The first third of the book is very interesting with all the aforementioned odds being piled up against Paul, then the pacing of the book begin to sag with a lot of ruminations and philosophizing by the major characters and my mind drifted off to parts unknown. After a rather dry 100 or so pages the plot revives quite a bit and the climax is quite thrilling (if not exactly unpredictable).

This book clearly has a lot of depth, themes and subtexts, unfortunately its profundity mostly escaped me as profundities tend to do. One of the Amazon reviewers mentioned that the book is so profound wh8ile reading it he frequently had to stop to think about what Herbert was really saying. The stoppages I made are mostly to do with thinking about my options for lunch and other mundane things.

The two central characters are less compelling than they were in the previous book, Paul is all broody and miserable, his sister Alia goes through mood swings between being supernaturally sage, overly shrill and a teenager with a crush. Hayt/Idaho is pretty cool though, is he or isn’t he? Of course he is!

For me Dune Messiah acts as a slightly dull (but not too shabby) bridge to go on to the original trilogy’s grand finale [b:Children of Dune|112|Children of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #3)|Frank Herbert|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348092992s/112.jpg|3634573] which is brilliant by all accounts and I am looking forward to reading soonish. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
A huge let down compared to the first book. The book is downright boring, with lots of semi philosophical exposition and little action. The characters are all melodramatic and the evil plot is hilariously nonsensical. Toss in a cheesy and underwhelming ending, and you get a book that isn't worth reading. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
I wonder if Herbert actually wrote the book he wanted to write, because I have to say that he didn't write the one I wanted him to write. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |

Schoenherr, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Such a rich store pf myths enfolds Paul Muad'dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia. Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their oracular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events which left traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad'dib or his sister, but to thier heirs - to all of us.

---Dediction in the Muad'dib's Concordance as copied from The Tabia Memorium of the Mahdi Spirit Cult
There exists no seperation between gods and men; one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'dib
Prologue: Dune is the planet Arrakis, an arid world of great deserts where life survives against terrifying odds.
Analysis of History: Muad'dib by Brons of Ix: Muad'dib's Imperial reign generated more historians than any other era in human history.
Despite the murderous nature of the plot he hoped to devise, the thoughts of Scytale, the Tleilaxu Face Dancer, returned again and again to rueful compassion.
Excerpts from the Death Cell
Interview with Bronso of IX ---

Q: What led you to take your particular approach to a history of Muad'dib?
A: Why should I answer your questions?
A shorter version of this book appeared in Galaxy Magazine for July-September, 1969
Talk, think, talk, think, talk;
conspiracies in deep space
while billions die.
(ed.pendragon)
Jihad, billions dead
Paul is blind but can see all
Submit to the sand

(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441172695, Mass Market Paperback)

Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a super-being.

"Brilliant...It is all that Dune was, and maybe a little bit more." --Galaxy Magazine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

"Set on the desert planet Arrakis, a world fully as real and as rich as our own, Dune Messiah continues the story of the man Muad'dib, heir to a power unimaginable, bringing to completion the centuries-old scheme to create a superbeing."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,177,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible