dismiss

Google Speaks: Secrets of the World's Greatest Billionaire Entrepreneurs,…

by Janet Lowe

"An up-close look at the people and philosophies behind one of the most important new companies of our time, Google Speaks is an engaging and informative look at one of the most important companies of the twenty-first century. It reveals the amazing story behind Google, a company that in less than 15 years has become a global household name and, in the process, created a new model for corporate responsibility and employee relations. Lowe explores the values that drive Google's founders and discusses how they have created a culture that fosters creativity and fun, while at the same time, keeping Google at the forefront of technology through large, relentless R&D investments and imaginative partnerships with organizations such as NASA. This book also addresses controversies surrounding Google, such as copyright infringement, antitrust concerns, and personal privacy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

I learned a lot more about Google than I thought I would ever know! :) However this book did inspire me to try out some new things using Google. I am pretty sure I NEED to work at the Googleplex (Preferably the Dublin, Ireland location! *Ahem* Google I can send you my CV!!!).

Otherwise I tabbed a lot of the pages to come back to later and bookmarked webpages that I can use later on (like www.bananaslug.com). But there were a few things that made the book kind of blah. For instance there are pages that almost seem verbatim of previous pages or chapters (almost like they weren't sure how to fill out a particular section so they copy/pasted) so that was a bit annoying, but that was really the only bad thing I have to say about.

It is definitely worth a read if you are in the information business. :) ( )
  Amanda.Richards | Feb 14, 2013 |
I believe the history of Google itself is probably fascinating. Janet Lowe's write up of the company did not, however, produce a level of intense interest or excitement about all things Google. It did, however, give a high-level background on the history of the company and it's founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and a sense of the massiveness of the Google mission (which seems to be to rule the world, to be honest). ( )
  phoenixcomet | Apr 5, 2010 |
A light, entertaining and occasionally informative book. ( )
  PLReader | Jan 21, 2010 |
"The whole endeavour feels a little like a school essay written on the night before deadline. But the bottom line is that the book doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, or ironically, we couldn't Google for ourselves. ... 3/10"
added by legallypuzzled | editLinux Format, Graham Morrison (Dec 25, 2009)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,036,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible