Queenmaker: A Novel of King David's Queen by…

Queenmaker: A Novel of King David's Queen (original 2002; edition 2002)

by India Edghill

Member:ShirHadash
Title:Queenmaker: A Novel of King David's Queen
Authors:India Edghill
Info:St. Martin's Press (2002), Edition: First Printing - January 2002, Hardcover, 384 pages

Queenmaker by India Edghill (2002)

English (9)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (10)
I really enjoyed this historical fiction about King David's first wife, Michal, daughter of King Saul. In this story, told in first person by Michal, she is a good friend to friend to David's mistress Bathsheba, the mother of the next king, Solomon. Having no children of her own, Michal takes a liking to Solomon and helps maneuver him into the kingship. I'm no biblical scholar, so I could enjoy this story entirely on its own merits - and I did. I'd like to read other novels by India Edghill based on Old Testament women. ( )
  riofriotex | Jun 13, 2019 |
All works of Biblical fiction, both good and bad, seem to get compared to The Red Tent. Queenmaker is no exception. However, rather than focusing on the lives of the little-mentioned women of the Bible, Queenmaker focuses on King David. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Reminiscent of [The Red Tent]. This novel tells the story of the first kings of Israel - Saul, David and Solomon - told through the eyes of Queen Michael, daughter of Saul, first wife of David, and loving friend to David's mistress Bathsheba (who is the mother of Solomon). The story is one of intrigue, lust, war, hate, passion, treachery, and love. It's a fascinating look at this well-known biblical tale. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
When I first started this book, I partially expected this novel to take a Harlequin romance detour. I was, however, pleasantly surprised when I was engulfed by this fascinating biblical era when Kings began to rule in Israel. Told through the words of King David's first wife and Queen, it is a fascinating tale of Kings (David, Saul and Solomon), prophets and the women behind them. Once I picked it up, I find it hard to put down and I finished it within a 2 days!

There style of this book is similar to THE RED TENT (I believe Anita Diamante was Ms. Edghill's first agent.) Even though I liked THE RED TENT better, I still enjoyed this one and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Anita Diamante's novel. ( )
  KindleKapers | Jan 19, 2011 |
Not a great novel, but wonderful storytelling, an easy, enjoyable read ( )
  sdunford | Jul 12, 2010 |
My father Saul was not born to be a King.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312289197, Paperback)

Turning inside out the traditional view of David as a beloved king and gentle author of the Psalms, India Edghill's well-written debut novel Queenmaker paints a dark picture of the lauded biblical hero as seen through the eyes of his first wife, Michal. David's silver-tongued way with words captures Michal's heart, but her marriage to him is soon annulled by her half-mad father, King Saul. She's packed off to marry the widowed farmer Phaltiel, whom Michal soon learns to love. When David gains the throne of Israel and sends for Michal, she discovers that David has become a king who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. Through courage and wit, Michal must carve out a new life as the queen and wife of a man she now despises. Edghill isn't afraid to change biblical narrative to suit her story, and paints David as a selfish, grasping leader whose feet of clay are all too evident in this tale. Those who like their biblical narrative served straight up and their heroes untarnished may be disturbed by this reassessment; those who like a good story and a new spin on biblical champions, however, will enjoy this unvarnished look at one of Judaism's and Christianity's most lauded personalities. --Cindy Crosby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0400)

A retelling of the biblical story of King David and Queen Michal follows Michal, who lived and reigned in David's court for more than forty years, as she speaks about her hopes and fears while war, betrayal, death, and prophecy rage through the Promised Land.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible