I Am Legend (Sf Masterworks 02) by Richard…

I Am Legend (Sf Masterworks 02) (original 1954; edition 1999)

by Richard Matheson

Member:dennymeta
Title:I Am Legend (Sf Masterworks 02)
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:Millennium Paperbacks (1999), Paperback, 160 pages

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson (1954)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Rynooo, PDcastello)
    PDcastello: Same type of small and silent epic
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Patangel)
    The Martian by Andy Weir (johnny_merc)
    johnny_merc: Totally different genre; but another interesting take on the man alone genre. Also interesting that the main protagonist resorts to science to resolve issues.
    The Strain by Guillermo del Toro (Joles)
    Joles: The authors treat vampires in a similar light. The Strain could very well be what leads up to Matheson's I Am Legend.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Excellent post-apocalyptic story set in Colorado. Well developed story and characters.
    La nuit a dévoré le monde by Pit Agarmen (yokai)
    H5N1 Code Name: GREED by Jacqueline Druga (cmwilson101, cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these books are about sole survivors who make it their aim in life to kill the monsters that have taken over the world; in I am Legend, the monsters are vampires, and in H5N1, the monsters are somewhat-rational zombies.
    An Awkward Age by Anna Starobinets (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Similar style of short story, often with a gruesome twist.
    Le Dernier Monde by Céline Minard (Cypress)
    That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley (Joles)

English (119)  French (7)  Italian (5)  Spanish (3)  All (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (137)
Robert Neville has witnessed the end of the world. The entire population has been obliterated by a vampire virus. Somehow, Neville survived. He must now struggle to make sense of everything that has happened and learn to protect himself against the vampires who hunt him constantly. He must, because perhaps there is nothing else human left.

I Am Legend was a major influence in horror and brought a whole new thematic concept to apocalyptic literature. Several humanistic and emotional themes in this book blend the horror genre with traditional fiction: we see Neville as an emotional person, and observe as he suffers bouts of depression, dips into alcoholism and picks up his strength again to fight the vampiric bacteria that has infected (and killed off) most of humankind. Neville soon meets a woman, Ruth, (after three years alone), who seems to be uninfected and a lone survivor. The two become close and he learns from Ruth that the infected have learned to fight the disease and can spend short amounts of time in the daylight, slowly rebuilding strength and society as it was.
  thebblack | Jun 23, 2017 |
A phenomenal and stunning work that serves as a marked departure in the sci-fi genre. A must read for anyone with a passing interest in the evolution of zombie fiction and a remarkable work of literature that deserves to be placed up there with the greatest works of our time. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
Robert Neville is the last man left alive in a world that has been taken over by vampires.

There were some heart-stoppingly exciting scenes and the search for an explanation for the vampirism was interesting, but I did find the psychological explanation for some of the characteristics of vampires unconvincing.

After I finished the book, I watched the film, which was very atmospheric, but I think the book had a much better ending. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 6, 2017 |
A thrilling post-apocalyptic page-turner with one of the most profound endings in fiction. Matheson has more to say about the nature of mankind and society, and the relativity of morality, than most books twice this length. He's particularly good at evoking the psychological pressures that come with being the Last Man on Earth.

That said, I don't think the fantastical elements of the vampires (the garlic, crosses, etc.) were entirely in sync with the scientific explanations (bacteria, genetic mutations, etc.), although the dissonance did not really detract from my enjoyment of the story. But I thought the film adaptation of I Am Legend from 2007 was better than the book. That may seem like heresy to some book-lovers, but I strongly feel that the narrative and thematic changes made in the film were an improvement over Matheson's novel. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Mar 18, 2017 |
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson *****

I have only read one book by this author ‘The Shrinking Man’ and really disliked it, but I knew a little of ‘I am Legend’ from snapshots of the film so I thought I would give it a try. Have to say I am really glad that I did, and it goes to prove that you can’t judge an author by just one experience.

I Am Legend has to be one of the best books in the genre. We follow Robert Neville, supposedly the last man left alive on the planet, every other person has been turned into a type of ‘undead’ vampire. Neville has barricaded himself into his home where he is safe during the night, but whilst in daylight he turns into a ‘killer’, stalking the dead where they sleep and slaughtering them. These are very much like the typical vampires we have heard tales about over the centuries, unable to stand daylight, scared of garlic and a stake through the heart will finish them off (although these things are explained scientifically, rather than just accepted). However, when he sees a woman stumbling through a field during the daytime he begins to hope that there is a chance for humanity and invites her to his home. What follows is classic example of that when the majority suddenly becomes the minority, you find that you no longer are the hunter but become the hunted.

I loved this book, and although some people may decide to write it off as a vampire novel, it really has so much more to it. The whole book revolves around Neville and we get to experience his own thoughts and feeling to the changing world around him, his loneliness, his exasperations and his fears are all laid bare for the reader to pick over. There is also the question of ethics, just because others are different to you, does that mean murder is ever justified?

I can see why so many other authors such as Stephen King cite this book as an influence. Give it a try. ( )
  Bridgey | Jan 11, 2017 |
Matheson maakt op een briljant-ingenieuze wijze gebruik van de Vampiermythe voor Essef doeleinden
added by karnoefel | editNBD / Biblion

Glavni junak romana, Robert Nevil, poslednji je čovek u svetu zaraženom vampirizmom. Zabarikadiran u svom domu, on svake noći vodi bitku da preživi do svitanja, pri čemu mu neprijatelji nisu samo krvožedni stvorovi napolju, nego i sopstveni nagoni, ludilo koje vreba i uspomene na lepšu prošlost. Sudbinu Roberta Nevila na kraju zapečatiće jedna žena čija će ga izdaja suočiti sa istinom da se shvatanje normalnosti preokrenulo i da je sada sam na njenoj drugoj strani. Na onoj strani na kojoj se stupa u legendu.

Prvenstvena tema Metisonovog dela je „opasna različitost”. Njegovi vampiri su sivi i istovetni, simbol vladavine populizma, dok je Nevil večiti pojedinac u borbi protiv neprijateljskih sila prirode i društva.
added by Sensei-CRS | editknjigainfo.com

Matheson, Richardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sleight, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thiesen, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Henry Kuttner with my grateful thanks for his help and encouragement on this book.
On those cloudy days, Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.
This work just contains the short novel "I Am Legend". Please do not combine other works entitled "I Am Legend" which contain the short novel and short stories with it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0575081988, Paperback)

film edition paperback, fine

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:59 -0400)

"Robert Neville may well be the only survivor of an incurable plague that has mutated every other man, woman and child into bloodthirsty, nocturnal creatures who are determined to destroy him" -- Cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible