Shiver (2009)

by Maggie Stiefvater

Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls (1)

7,444554978 (3.76)2 / 321
In all the years she has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house, Grace has been particularly drawn to an unusual yellow-eyed wolf who, in his turn, has been watching her with increasing intensity.
    13 to Life by Shannon Delany (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: teenage werewolves, suspense, romance
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: yummy teenage werewolves and the charismatic girls who love them
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (jennyellen22)
    Impossible by Nancy Werlin (laurelin08)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (RenataPhoenix, Jen7waters)
    RenataPhoenix: Beautiful love story (with werewolves).
    Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith (tayler.rue)
    tayler.rue: I haven't gotten around to reading Shiver yet, but I really enjoyed Tantalize, and both books seem as though they would appeal to the same sort of audience :)
    The Dark Divine by Bree Despain (stephxsu)
    New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (missnickynack)
    Evermore by Alyson Noël (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: More teen paranormal romance
    Nightshade by Andrea Cremer (Kiwiria)

English (550)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Piratical (1)  All languages (556)
As I write this, my review for ​ The Raven Boys* is out (which I would hyper link but GR is being glitchy)
In that, I praised the author's writing style which is truly unique but sometimes comes off as too chunky, this book felt cheesy. The book is a wannabe twilight with an obnoxious female character in love with a werewolf. The werewolf part wasn't mysterious or anything, the portrayal of the creatures in Twilight had this ancientness to them, this intrigue.
Also the book was boring.
I just felt like nothing was happening and I found this same issue for The Raven Boys.
I can well and truly say that this Author is not for me.
The main character is creepy, her obsession with wolves and dogs is weird, for years she actually is in love with a dog, while I don't have any pets, I know people like their pets but Grace's level is creepy and disturbing.

I found Sam somewhat annoying as well.

My review of The Raven Boys: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17675462-the-raven-boys?ac=1&from_search... ( )
  crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Vivid characters, a moving love story, and a unique take on werewolves, all in a beautifully written package. Wonderful. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |
I have been on a TOTAL Maggie Stiefvater kick this year, and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. "Shiver" starts off with slow character development and background setting like most of her books, immersing us in the cold, COLD feeling of northern Minnesota, and the lives of Grace and Sam.

Grace is likeable, and pitiable as we see her struggle to keep Sam. Sam, I found complex and fascinating. His backstory is interesting, and I like the complex relationships between him and other members of the wolf-pack. My very favorite thing about this book is the world-building. Once again, Maggie Stiefvater has created an interesting addition to werewolf lore with its own set of rules and complications for her two main characters to solve, and I'll definitely be checking out the sequel.

Please excuse typos. entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
READ 2011 ( )
  RMPS | Feb 13, 2022 |
DNF. I got to Chapter 32 of this book before calling it. The story was just progressing too slow for me to stay interested. I like to read a lot of YA fantasy books, but another issue I found with this particular book was that the main character, Grace, was written in a way that was almost too young and I could not really relate to her at all. ( )
  IlonaA | Feb 3, 2022 |

Maggie Stiefvaterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ledoux, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kate, because she cried
I remember lying in the snow, a small red spot of warm going cold, surrounded by wolves.

A touching teenage romance, filled with magic, peril, and true love. Beautifully written and a great read for anyone, young or old.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,934,820 books! | Top bar: Always visible