The Last Apprentice (Revenge of the Witch)…

The Last Apprentice (Revenge of the Witch) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Joseph Delaney (Author), Patrick Arrasmith (Illustrator)

For years, Old Gregory has been the Spook for the county, ridding the local villages of evil. Now his time is coming to an end. But who will take over for him? Twenty-nine apprentices have tried--some floundered, some fled, some failed to stay alive. Only Thomas Ward is left. He's the last hope; the last apprentice. Can Thomas succeed? Will he learn the difference between a benign witch and a malevolent one? Does the Spook's warning against girls with pointy shoes include Alice? And what will happen if Thomas accidentally frees Mother Malkin, the most evil witch in the county?… (more)
Member:brunosooty
Title:The Last Apprentice (Revenge of the Witch)
Authors:Joseph Delaney (Author)
Other authors:Patrick Arrasmith (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2006), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Disk 2, Your library
Tags:to-read, audiobook1

Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney (2004)

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both of these books have a similar atmosphere and style. The Dark is Rising is about Will Stanton, who is also a seventh son of a seventh son, as well as a boy with special gifts that only a few others have that enable them to fight the Dark.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Joles)
    Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (wordcauldron)
    The Swampling King by Ben S. Dobson (wordcauldron)
    The House of Dead Maids by Clare B. Dunkle (foggidawn)
    The Revenge of the Shadow King by Derek Benz (Joles)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (LongDogMom)

English (95)  French (2)  All languages (97)
This book was really, really spooky... creepy enough to influence any potential recommendations. I'm not usually one for this much scary stuff, but it was really well done. Do heed the warning: not to be read after dark. Eep. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
Wow, so guess I'm reading an epic 13 book series now. I finished this in less than 24 hours. Fascinating lore and interesting spins on old concepts. Just creepy and gross enough without going overboard. It leaves some unanswered questions for you to look forward to in the sequels, but it does wrap up the plot nicely if you didn't happen to like it enough to continue. ( )
  LynnK. | Aug 4, 2020 |
Really solid first entry in the Last Apprentice series. I enjoyed the characters, the plot moved quickly and nothing was overly predictable. I got this for free on kindle, but I would have paid for it. Quite enjoyable bit of fantasy. ( )
  AliceAnna | Feb 14, 2020 |
DNF at 25%.

Wasn't feeling it and after putting it aside for several days I never felt the desire to pick it back up again. So on to better things.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
This is one of those books that I always knew from the description and everything I'd enjoy, but at the same time never quite made it to the top of my reading pile. I always seemed to be occupied with other titles instead. Nonetheless, it is right up my alley. A nice short read, it tells the story of Thomas Ward's start as apprentice to the Spook, and his adventure in those early days. I suppose this is actually more of a middle grade read than a YA one, or at least so it struck me to be the case, but it's a nice slightly creepy read that was, for me, long overdue. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Jul 2, 2018 |

Joseph Delaneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glover, JamieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Marie
When the Spook arrived, the light was already beginning to fail.
"The first time I'd learned about witches the Spook told me never to trust a girl with pointy shoes. I would have believed that if I never met Alice Deane. Despite the Spooks convictions, I can honestly say I would trust at least one girl with pointy shoes."
“I married your dad because he was a seventh son. And I bore him six sons so that I could have you,”

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible