Claudine Married (1902)

by Colette

Series: Claudine (3)

THE STORIES THAT INSPIRED THE FILM COLETTE, out Jan 2019. The third book in Colette's enchanting Claudineseries. Following the excitement of a shared life in Paris, Claudine's marriage to Renaud has settled into a stale pattern of bickering conversations and mutual inattention. Just as Claudine begins to fear herself confined to a stifled existence, a chance meeting with a friend's wife, the beautiful Rezi, draws her into an impassioned and heartbreaking affair. In Claudine MarriedClaudine pits her uniquely sensuous spirit against the challenges of married life and the conflicts of forbidden love in one of Colette's most moving and powerful novels.… (more)

English (2)  French (1)  All languages (3)
It’s a slim book with a simple plot, picking up the series with Claudine on her wedding night with Renaud and living in Paris, but I liked it because of its unabashed expression of the lesbian attraction which follows (impressive for 1902!), and for its balance between titillation and expressing sexual exploration without going over the top. There is a French coolness to it all, and honesty as well. Claudine is on the one hand independent, and on the other, wants to be ‘dominated’ by a strong husband. If we feel a contradiction there, or in Colette herself not wanting to be referred to as a feminist for that matter, it’s our problem, not hers.

Quotes:
On memories:
“My memories of the past fifteen months mill about in my head like specks of dust in a dark room barred by one shaft of sunshine. One after the other they pass into the beam, glitter there for a second while I smile or pout at them, then go back into the shadow.”

On seduction:
“I could see, close enough to touch, the perfectly curved shoulder, Rezi’s anxious profile, and, lower down, two bared young breasts, round and far apart, like the ones gallants toy with in naughty eighteenth-century engravings. I saw all this, stupefied, and did not say a word. I was unaware, at first, of the intense gaze she had fixed on me. The gaze attracted mine at last, but I averted it to dwell on the peerless whiteness of that flawless, even-tinted skin where the breasts broke abruptly into pink at the tips, the same pink as her nail varnish…
Triumphant, Rezi followed my wandering eyes. But because they had become fixed and urgent, she weakened herself and her eyelashes fluttered like wasp-wings…Her eyes turned bluer and rolled upwards and it was she who whispered, ‘No, no…please…’ as palpably shaken as I was myself.
Please…’ That word, breathed on a sigh, with a mixture of sensuality and childishness, had done more to precipitate my defeat than the most searching caress.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Dec 22, 2016 |
I wish I'd read this when I was a wee chick. How I would have loved it! Women having an affair! In collusion with one of their husbands! Sadly, now, Claudine annoys me, I could not grasp Rezi's attractiveness; she seemed shallow, petulant, manipulative and boring. Claudine's life was pointless, inactive luxury. What a spoilt, self-centred, boring, immature human. ( )
  veracite | Apr 5, 2013 |

Coletteprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"La collaboration de Willy et Colette Willy ayant pris fin, il devenait indispensable de rendre à chacun la part qui lui est due et de remplacer la signature unique de ce volume par celle de Willy et Colette Willy.
Des raisons purement typographiques ont voulu que mon nom fût placé avant celui ce Colette Willy, alors que toutes les raisons, littéraires et autres, eussent éxigé que som nom prît la première place." WILLY
Sûrement, il y a dans notre mariage quelque chose qui ne a pas.
Definitely, there is something wrong with our married life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,413,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible