Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement…

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Roger Fisher (Author)

"Since it was first published in 1981 Getting to Yes has become a central book in the Business Canon: the key text on the psychology of negotiation. Its message of "principled negotiations"--finding acceptable compromise by determining which needs are fixed and which are flexible for negotiating parties--has influenced generations of businesspeople, lawyers, educators and anyone who has sought to achieve a win-win situation in arriving at an agreement. It has sold over 8 million copies worldwide in 30 languages, and since it was first published by Penguin in 1991 (a reissue of the original addition with Bruce Patton as additional coauthor) has sold over 2.5 million copies--which places it as the #10 bestselling title overall in Penguin Books, and #3 bestselling nonfiction title overall. We have recently relicensed the rights to Getting to Yes, and will be doing a new revised edition--a 30th anniversary of the original publication and 20th of the Penguin edition. The authors will be bringing the book up to date with new material and a assessment of the legacy and achievement of Getting to Yes after three decades"--… (more)
Member:JoyRosenthal
Title:Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
Authors:Roger Fisher (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1991), Edition: Revised, 224 pages

Work Information

Getting to Yes : Negotiating Agreement without Giving In by Roger Fisher (Author) (1991)

You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen (Bill-once)
    Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended on It by Chris Voss (supersidvicious)
    supersidvicious: Whilst the work of Fisher, Ury and Patton is the reference for collaborative decision making, Voss goes beyond win-win goal to explain how to sketch out negotiations to win all making at the same time your counterpart satisfied using emotional intelligence.… (more)
    Dealing with Difficult People : 24 lessons for Bringing Out the Best in Everyone by Rick Brinkman (Cecilturtle)

English (45)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (50)
I've never put much effort into negotiating. Some of the questions asked in this one are excellent ways to help a conversation move forward. For instance, after someone states what they want, asking "how did you determine that?". Diving into the how and why of someone else helps better understand where they're coming from. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I feel like I wasted my time reading it. It dragged on for such a long time despite being very short. A lot of boring repetition and filler in place of interesting ideas. Also, if I have to read the word BANTA one more time, I might scream. ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Lesson I learned:

1. Getting to Yes in negotiations takes time and effort. Think about both sides of the equation and both sides of the argument before making my case. Always understand the outcome of the situation from both sides before finishing the talks and come to a wise agreement that not only benefits you but benefits the other person most exceedingly. It takes two to create a relationship and one person to destroy it. Choose wisely. Negotiate wisely and with tact and grace. ( )
  Kaianna | Mar 2, 2021 |
What a great book. In just 6 hours, Fisher and Ury introduced multiple unique concepts that really changed the way I see negotiations -- the ones that stuck out were BATNA, interests over positions, and focusing on objective truths/criteria. The authors also provide realistic examples of how using their advice might unlock better results. In these examples, following the Getting to Yes approach resulted in far more potential solutions being explored, often times by integrating options that didn't initially seem like they could be part of the negotiation.

As the authors note, people negotiate on a daily basis: situations that need more than one person to accomplish a goal usually require some kind of negotiation. I highly recommend reading this book to improve the results of those negotiations. ( )
  rsanek | Dec 26, 2020 |
This one was pretty technical. The authors really break down the thought process of having a principled negotiation instead of trying to negotiate either "soft" or "hard." They provide a variety of examples/case studies that emphasize the point. Not going to lie, this was a bit dry, but very good book if you want to read more about different leadership styles.

"Getting to Yes" breaks down key concepts from the authors such as "Don't Bargain Over Positions," "Separate the People from the Problem" and "Focus on Interests, Not Positions." Through each breakdown they go through and provide an example to emphasis their point. I thought this book at times was dry, but I like the constant reinforcement that they are trying to get to in which that every negotiation that you have with either a boss, a direct report, or peer, you can work to make sure that you are principled in your negotiations and don't need to start from a soft or hard position. I have a boss right now that all he does is try to argue his point with our whole team and never listens to a thing we say. That leads to resentment among the rest of us and also anger. It's frustrating to know that you are being ignored since the boss wants to do things his or her own way without taking into consideration other people. It didn't help in our case that he was totally wrong in his approach and we (the team) are paying for it now.

One of my favorite chapters though was "What if They Are More Powerful?" or Develop your BATNA-Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement. And believe me I paid attention to this just because a deputy I work for likes to win. You can see him just thinking about his retort when other people are speaking. Drives me up the wall. This chapter though takes you through steps such as protecting yourself, the costs of knowing your bottom line, and knowing your BATNA.

Definitely recommend for a leadership course. And will say once again this is pretty dry. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |

Hof, WilfriedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trummal, MartTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vaik, EviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vasco Montoya, EloisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our fathers, Walter T. Fisher and Melvin C. Ury, who by examples taught us the power of principle.
During the last ten years negotiation as a field for academic and professional concern has grown dramatically.
This is the revised / second edition, first published in 1991 with additional material and adding Bruce Patton as an author (instead of an editor). Please do not combine it with the original 1981 edition.

Rédigé par des spécialistes américains de la négociation et de la méditation , ce livre expose concrètement des strategies éprouvées pour apprendre à négocier et parvenir à un accord satisfaisant pour les 2 parties .

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,536,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible