A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to…

A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Dave Pelzer (Author)

Series: Dave Pelzer (1)

[This book] is [an] account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is the story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother: a mother who played torturous, unpredictable games - games that left him nearly dead. He had to learn how to play his mother's games in order to survive because she no longer considered him a son, but a slave; and no longer a boy, but an "it." -Back cover.… (more)
Member:Kyla_Ke
Title:A Child Called It: One Child's Courage to Survive
Authors:Dave Pelzer (Author)
Info:Health Communications Inc (1995), Edition: Reissue, 184 pages

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer (Author) (1995)

One Child: The True Story of a Tormented Six-Year-Old and the Brilliant Teacher Who Reached Out by Torey L. Hayden (Moniica)
    Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Disturbing memoirs - I disliked them both for the same reasons (so someone else may LIKE them for those same reasons).
    The Perfect Child by Lucinda Berry (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Berry's book is fictional while Pelzer's is his true story, but many aspects of the abuse the child suffers is similar. Thanfully, Pelzer's story turns out better than the fictional one does.
    The Little Prisoner by Jane Elliott (mariah2, Kerian)

English (282)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (289)
I feel strange rating a memoir, especially one about abuse. I've seen a lot of speculation online about whether this case is true or not, but with things like this I tend to lean toward believing the author unless there's solid proof otherwise.

The story was horrific, believable. If you've worked anywhere close to childcare, you know that this kind of shit does happen and it happens more often than you would think. God know's I've seen my fair share.

In terms of writing, it wasn't technically great, the story telling didn't offer much insight into the author now or how things came to be the way they were. It was like reading a child's story through the eyes of an adult, which I suppose is exactly what we were doing.

I don't quite know how I feel about this one, so I'm going to leave it at 3 stars for now and just say I am incredibly conflicted. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I read this book many many years ago. I remember that horrible things happened to the child and I remember feeling very sad. The title really captures the experiences that the child went through, and the book was telling the experiences of the child. It was a heartbreaking book. ( )
  MiraLadybug | Jun 7, 2021 |
touching story ( )
  elaine2021 | May 17, 2021 |
Unforgettable account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. The story of Dave Pelzer, who was brutally beaten and starved by his emotionally unstable, alcoholic mother.

Questionnaire: Selected Reading Questionnaire
  AileenMcInnis | Apr 22, 2021 |
5/5 ( )
  TashaMorwell | Feb 24, 2021 |

Pelzer, DaveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyllenhak, UlfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my son Stephen, who, by the grace of God, has taught me the gift of love and joy through the eyes of a child. This book is also dedicated to the teachers and staff members of Thomas Edison Elementary School to include: Stephen E. Ziegler, Athena Konstan, Peter Hansen, Joyce Woodworth, Janice Woods, Betty Howell, and the School Nurse. To all of you, for your courage and for putting your careers on the line that fateful day, March 5, 1973. You saved my life.
March 5, 1973, Daly City, California - I'm late.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,556,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible