What Alice Forgot: From the bestselling…

What Alice Forgot: From the bestselling author of Big Little Lies, now an… (edition 2010)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Suffering an accident that causes her to forget the last ten years of her life, Alice is astonished to discover that she is thirty-nine years old, a mother of three children, and in the midst of an acrimonious divorce from a man she dearly loves.
Member:aquapages
Title:What Alice Forgot: From the bestselling author of Big Little Lies, now an award winning TV series
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Penguin (2010), Edition: 01, 528 pages
Rating:*
Tags:dnf

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Told with humor, these two charming, character-driven novels share the stories of women who awaken from comas with amnesia, which has caused them to forget years of their lives. Faced with the unfamiliar, they must evaluate the choices they've made.… (more)
    The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown (Micheller7)
    The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson (Micheller7)
    The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (citygirl)

English (219)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (221)
The Short of It:

Took some time for me to get into this one but once I was in, I was IN. Moriarty is a storytelling queen.

The Rest of It:

Alice faints during a spin class and upon waking, realizes that she’s lost ten years of memories. She doesn’t remember having children, or that she’s in the process of divorcing her husband Nick. She has no idea why she’s at the gym at all having shunned exercise for most of her life and how can she be 39 years old when she was 29 just a little while ago? One other thing that she can’t remember is the death of her best friend Gina, who played such a large role in Alice’s life.

The first quarter of the book was bordering on silly but was also humorous and entertaining. Alice’s realizations about life as those around her continue to fill in the gaps, got some giggles out of me but can you imagine not remembering your kids or your husband?

Memory-challenged Alice finds that she’s not all that likable. She’s lost friends, alienated her husband and grown apart from her sister. She’s was this driven, busy person who did all the things class moms do but in total excess. Now, as she looks around at things she can’t make sense of, she wonders why? Why is she getting a divorce? What went wrong?

This turned out to be a very touching story about a woman who is given a chance to turn things around. Plus, it’s not just about Alice, it’s about her sister Elisabeth and her family and how the past few years have created a lot of tension, but perhaps the damage can be repaired.

I really ended up liking What Alice Forgot. It’s not as dishy as Big Little Lies and it didn’t center around a suburb like Truly Madly Guilty, but it was sweetly sentimental and I was satisfied when I turned the last page. It’s been optioned for a movie, actually has been for some time but I don’t see any mention of it actually being in production.

Have you read it? It does give you some food for thought and the questions in the back of my copy confirmed for me that it would make a good discussion book too.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Sep 10, 2020 |
Wish I could give this 3.5 stars. A quick, enjoyable and thoughtful read that tackled some serious issues. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
Really enjoyed this one. Reads like a mystery. Alice loses 10 years of memory after a fall and has to piece together what went wrong/right with her life. It's a fast breezy read. I raced to the finish. Really enjoyed the characters and the relationships they have with one another. Story is told from Alice's perspective, her sister's perspective, and their grandmother's perspective. ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
his book had the potential to be quite brilliant but the writing was juvenile and tedious and contained characters and back plots which didn't assist the story. The end result is very disappointing. ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |
I made it to page 71... how is a mystery I can't solve. My main problem wih this book was how it wasn't about what it said it would be. Does that make sense? Sure, she's lost 10 years of her life, but she doesn’t keep on like normal or anything. She just has to explain all the boring details of what she has lost. The second problem is that I'm not a middle - aged person, unhappy with time-management and my life situation. Well, the last one is not exactly true, but seeing how I'm in school, I can't do too much about it. If I lost ten years of my life I would pretty much have done the same things I do now: read, but just with a bit thinner books. I could say that I might like this book better in another ten years. Or twenty. But I'm pretty sure I won't. It was just not worth the time and far to similiar to every article out there on how to get a better life or how to get out of the time squeeze. Not that losing your memory isn't a effective way of resetting your life. ( )
  aquapages | Jul 8, 2020 |
Twenty-nine-year-old Alice Love is pregnant with her first child, adores her husband, Nick, and has never set foot inside a spinning studio. Thirty-nine-year-old Alice Love suffers a sudden fall in her Friday spin class, wakes up with a splitting headache, and finds out she has three children and is in the middle of custody proceedings. Without any concrete memories of the past 10 years, Alice tries to figure out how her free-spirited 29-year-old self became a volunteer-coordinating, spin-class-attending 39-year-old woman. What Alice Forgot is an often funny, sometimes heartrending, deeply personal portrait of a woman attempting to unravel her own mystery.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist

Life is all memory, except for the one present moment that goes by you so quickly you hardly catch it going. - Tennessee Williams
Marriage is an ordeal. - Joseph Campbell
For Adam
She was floating, arms outspread, water lapping her body, breathing in a summery fragrance of salt and coconut.
Early love is exciting and exhilarating. It's light and bubbly. Anyone can love like that. But love after three children, after separation and near divorce - after you've hurt each other and forgiven each other, bored each other, after you've seen the worst and the best - well that sort of love is ineffable. It deserves its own word.

Alice Love, having woken up on the gym floor and been rushed to the hospital with a head injury, believes she is twenty-nine, expecting her first baby, and madly in love with her husband, but, after realizing she has forgotten ten years of her life and is actually thirty-nine, she is forced to try and piece together what occurred over the past decade to result in her marriage and life not being as she had hoped it would be.
Ze dreef met haar armen wijd, het water zachtjes over haar lichaam klotsend, en ademde de zomerse geur van zout en kokos in. In haar mond hing een prettige nasmaak van een goed vullend ontbijt; gebakken spek en koffie en misschien iets van een croissantje. Ze tilde haar kin op en de ochtendzon scheen zo fel op het water dat ze haar ogen moest dichtknijpen om haar voeten door de glinstering te kunnen zien. De nagels van haar tenen hadden allemaal een andere kleur. Rood. Goud. Paars. Grappig. Wanneer Alice ontwaakt uit een heerlijke droom en erachter komt dat ze in de sportschool een val heeft gemaakt, weet ze dat er iets helemaal mis is. Ze haat sportscholen, dus hoe kan ze daar zijn? Alice’ eerste zorg is haar baby, want ze is hoogzwanger. Ze wil ook graag naar haar echtgenoot Nick. Hij zal zich zeker zorgen maken. Maar Alice ís niet zwanger en Nick is verre van bezorgd. Alice is moeder van drie kinderen en de vijandige Nick is onlangs een echtscheidings-procedure gestart. Alice is tien jaar uit haar geheugen kwijt. In de dagen die volgen komt het verleden stukje bij beetje weer boven en Alice is gedwongen enkele onaangename kanten van zichzelf onder ogen te zien. Haar geheugenverlies is in ieder geval onvergetelijk!

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Liane Moriarty's book What Alice Forgot was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible