The Freud Reader by Sigmund Freud

The Freud Reader

by Sigmund Freud

Other authors: Peter Gay (Editor)

This book was a required purchase not for a psychology or even a philosophy course, but a political science course. But I think that's a testament to just how wide ranging is Freud's influence. For what it's worth, from what I can tell by what I marked up, the assigned essays were "The Ego and the Id." There's a lot more titles here though I can recognize as tremendously influential: "The Interpretation of Dreams," "Family Romances," "Totem and Taboo," "The Unconscious," "Beyond the Pleasure Principle," "The Future of an Illusion" and "Civilization and its Discontents."

The back cover describes The Freud Reader as "the first single-volume work to capture Freud's ideas as scientist, humanist, physician, and philosopher." Not included though is the work I've heard cited as the best work for the general reader, "Introduction to Psychoanalysis." Nevertheless, at least in this translation by James Strachey, I find Freud to be a lucid and interesting writer--more than I would have guessed. I think my biggest complaint with this book is that in choosing to stuff it into one book we get a book of 832 pages that could crush my foot if it fell on it, and eye-sight killing tiny font. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 20, 2013 |
it just looks intimidating. to add this to my library puts me among a different rank of readers. i'm not just the anti-utopia/fiction reader. I've now gone into the dimensions of repressions, ids, egos, you know psycho-analyzation. this is the most comprehensive collection of Freud work and the editor is really intimate with Freud. It includes 'Civilization and Its Discontents' which is obvi a classic. ( )
  TakeItOrLeaveIt | Feb 20, 2009 |
The Future of an Illusion
  TopekaAtheists | Sep 30, 2008 |
My view of this book is distorted by the fact that I am a psychology student and believe that Freud's work has spawned many misconceptions of psychology and what psychologists do. Though his theories are interesting in parts, as a whole it is speculative with no empirical grounding. ( )
  Viki | Apr 16, 2007 |
Author of numerous books on Freud, including a highly regarded biography, Gay offers the general reader a comprehensive survey of Freud's psychoanalytical, political, and philosophical writings. Preceded by a weighty introduction that emphasises Freud's commitment to science and reason, this single-volume work includes some 50 of Freud's texts, organised chronologically with headnotes. The selections range from case studies and theoretical discussions about dreams, anxiety, and anal eroticism to essays on lay analysis and religion as humankind's obsessional neurosis. Read sequentially, they allow readers to trace Freud's conceptual shift from a topographic theory of the mind to his structural theory of drives.
  antimuzak | Mar 5, 2007 |

Sigmund Freudprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gay, PeterEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The first single-volume work to capture Freud's ideas as scientist, humanist, physician, and philosopher.

What to read from the vast output of Sigmund Freud has long been a puzzle. Freudian thought permeates virtually every aspect of twentieth-century life; to understand Freud is to explore not only his scientific papers—on the psycho-sexual theory of human development, his theory of the mind, and the basic techniques of psychoanalysis—but also his vivid writings on art, literature, religion, politics, and culture.

The fifty-one texts in this volume range from Freud's dreams, to essays on sexuality, and on to his late writings, including Civilization and Its Discontents. Peter Gay, a leading scholar of Freud and his work, has carefully chosen these selections to provide a full portrait of Freud's thought. His clear introductions to the selections help guide the reader's journey through each work.

Most of the selections are reproduced in full. All have been selected from the Standard Edition, the only English translation for which Freud gave approval both to the editorial plan and to specific renderings of key words and phrases.

The Freud Reader contains a full array of explanatory material:

a substantial general introduction a full chronology introductions to each selection a selected bibliography

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:50 -0400)

Provides fifty-one texts spanning Freud's career, including his writings on psychoanalysis, mind, dreams, sexuality, literature, religion, art, politics, and culture.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,252,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible