No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies by…

No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies (2000)

by Naomi Klein

Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell (grizzly.anderson)
    grizzly.anderson: Cheap and No Logo come at the consumer market from two distinct, yet complimentary, perspectives. No Logo examines the impact of the power and marketing of "the brand" while Cheap takes up the brand-less (except for the discount stores themselves) quest for discount "deals"… (more)
    Making globalization work : the next steps to global justice by Joseph E. Stiglitz (ratte)
    ratte: same social-capitalist school as klein
    The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power by Joel Bakan (thebookpile)
    The Pirate's Dilemma: How Youth Culture Is Reinventing Capitalism by Matt Mason (brianjungwi)
    In Persuasion Nation by George Saunders (brianjungwi)
    Bonfire of the Brands by Neil Boorman (Camaho)

English (38)  Italian (4)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (47)
Modern corporate avarice takes many different forms and all are brought into the light of day in No Logo. Naomi Klein illustrates how corporate entities have ceased to be factories that make things and have instead transformed themselves into brands they slap on outsourced materials. Klein gives many examples of the way in which advertisers condition people to respond favorably to brand labels by associating those labels with positive stimuli, such as music, concerts, sports events, and sports venues. This results in the brands themselves becoming cherished symbols of delight, worn on clothing, transforming people themselves into advertising media. She gives many examples of how corporations have shut factories in North America and opened vastly lower-paying sweatshops in impoverished countries. She shows how companies have increasingly ceased paying anything close to a full-time living wage, forcing people to give up searching for work or accepting low-paying part-time work. She also covers grass-roots movements that have risen up to challenge these forms of corporate exploitation. No Logo is now 18 years but remains an eye-opening catalog of what has gone wrong in corporate America and how to begin to solve these problems. ( )
  bkinetic | Jan 26, 2018 |
Huh? Sometimes you find out that you thought you had a book on Goodreads that you had read...but it turns you either forgot to add it... or Goodreads has these glitches. Obviously it's probably the former, but let me have my delusions.
...I think I read this during my Masters, so I'll find some year that fits that.

Supposedly The Rebel Sell is a good antidote book to this. Maybe I'll read that sometime... ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
I loved [b:This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate|21913812|This Changes Everything Capitalism vs. The Climate|Naomi Klein|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1418103804s/21913812.jpg|41247321], but couldn't finish this one. Naomi Klein's writing style changed a lot between the two books, written about 15 years apart. This one is full of the over-confidence of youth and an obsession with brands which I just found too irritating to read. Part of the problem is that I just don't know some of the brands she is talking about, but I also find the whole topic of marketing depressing. I am sure I would have learnt more by getting past the third chapter, but I just had no motivation to do so. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
"No Logo" is a phenomenally-impressive first work from Naomi Klein. Written in the '90s about the rise of brands which sold ideas as opposed to corporations selling products, it could not be more relevant today.

Hipsterism, millennials (although they weren't called that yet), irony, terrible jobs, organizing. These are some of the themes that run throughout the book.

Klein highlights some fascinating intersections between art and activism. For example, have you heard of Reclaim the Streets? Started in London, they organized massive parties on public streets.

Although you think you may have heard the story, getting into the hardship of working conditions in third-world countries is worth revising. Nike sells shoes for hundreds of dollars that it pay workers to manufacture for pennies. The inequity is stunning and humbling. ( )
  willszal | Jun 10, 2017 |
So like this book called No Logo has this cool logo on the front. Does anyone know where I can buy the t-shirt? ( )
  BradLacey | Jun 28, 2016 |
You might not see things yet on the surface, but underground, it's already on fire.
— Indonesian writer Y.B. Mangunwijiya, July 16, 1998
For Avi
As a private person, I have a passion for landscape, and I have never seen one improved by a billboard.
Do not combine with the film of the same title.
This book is not another account of the power of the select group of corporate Goliaths that have gathered to form our de facto global government. Rather, it is an attempt to analyze and document the forces opposing corporate rule, and to lay out the particular set of cultural and economic conditions that made the emergence of that opposition inevitable. (Naomi Klein, from her Introduction)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312421435, Paperback)

We live in an era where image is nearly everything, where the proliferation of brand-name culture has created, to take one hyperbolic example from Naomi Klein's No Logo, "walking, talking, life-sized Tommy [Hilfiger] dolls, mummified in fully branded Tommy worlds." Brand identities are even flourishing online, she notes--and for some retailers, perhaps best of all online: "Liberated from the real-world burdens of stores and product manufacturing, these brands are free to soar, less as the disseminators of goods or services than as collective hallucinations."

In No Logo, Klein patiently demonstrates, step by step, how brands have become ubiquitous, not just in media and on the street but increasingly in the schools as well. (The controversy over advertiser-sponsored Channel One may be old hat, but many readers will be surprised to learn about ads in school lavatories and exclusive concessions in school cafeterias.) The global companies claim to support diversity, but their version of "corporate multiculturalism" is merely intended to create more buying options for consumers. When Klein talks about how easy it is for retailers like Wal-Mart and Blockbuster to "censor" the contents of videotapes and albums, she also considers the role corporate conglomeration plays in the process. How much would one expect Paramount Pictures, for example, to protest against Blockbuster's policies, given that they're both divisions of Viacom?

Klein also looks at the workers who keep these companies running, most of whom never share in any of the great rewards. The president of Borders, when asked whether the bookstore chain could pay its clerks a "living wage," wrote that "while the concept is romantically appealing, it ignores the practicalities and realities of our business environment." Those clerks should probably just be grateful they're not stuck in an Asian sweatshop, making pennies an hour to produce Nike sneakers or other must-have fashion items. Klein also discusses at some length the tactic of hiring "permatemps" who can do most of the work and receive few, if any, benefits like health care, paid vacations, or stock options. While many workers are glad to be part of the "Free Agent Nation," observers note that, particularly in the high-tech industry, such policies make it increasingly difficult to organize workers and advocate for change.

But resistance is growing, and the backlash against the brands has set in. Street-level education programs have taught kids in the inner cities, for example, not only about Nike's abusive labor practices but about the astronomical markup in their prices. Boycotts have commenced: as one urban teen put it, "Nike, we made you. We can break you." But there's more to the revolution, as Klein optimistically recounts: "Ethical shareholders, culture jammers, street reclaimers, McUnion organizers, human-rights hacktivists, school-logo fighters and Internet corporate watchdogs are at the early stages of demanding a citizen-centered alternative to the international rule of the brands ... as global, and as capable of coordinated action, as the multinational corporations it seeks to subvert." No Logo is a comprehensive account of what the global economy has wrought and the actions taking place to thwart it. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

28-year-old writer and journalist Naomi Klein describes the growing resistance to the multinational ethos, a world in which all that is alternative is sold, where innovation is adopted by faceless corporations as a marketing tool.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,650,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible