R Is For Ricochet: A Kinsey Millhone Novel…

R Is For Ricochet: A Kinsey Millhone Novel (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Sue Grafton (Author)

Member:chapeauchin
Title:R Is For Ricochet: A Kinsey Millhone Novel
Authors:Sue Grafton (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2005), Edition: 1st, 390 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, crime, US, kindle

R Is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton (2004)

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (50)
A good read until the last 10% when once again Grafton has her detective go brain dead, I suppose to make things more "exciting." ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
This was a hard one for me. My least favorite of the series. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
My favorite Private Investigator, Kinsey Milhone, is hired to transport a wealthy man’s daughter home after her release from prison and help in making sure she settles back into the “real” world. Counting on a fairly easy job, Kinsey did not expect to end up in the middle of a money laundering investigation, which is exactly what happens.

In the latest installment of Sue Grafton’s alphabet mystery series, Ms. Grafton provides readers with a slightly different angle than usual, from that of the passenger seat, which seems to be where her main character Kinsey sits for most of the book, being led along by the various characters as the crime and mystery unravel. Love was also a theme throughout the book: love betrayed, love lost, and love found. Readers are allowed a glimpse of the love life of dear Henry, Kinsey’s landlord, who is by far one of my favorite characters in the series. Will Kinsey taste love in her own life? And then there is Reba, the parolee, who demonstrated that she is not quite so dumb once the blinders created by love come off.

R is for Ricochet got off to a slow start, and I began wondering if perhaps I have been reading too many murder mysteries lately. However, about a third of the way through, the book finally grabbed my interest and held it until the very last word. This mystery was not so much about the whodunit, but was more about where Kinsey would find herself next and what she would be led to do by those around her. I could not help but feel a tad disconnected from events, not knowing everything that was going on. I imagine that was what Kinsey felt too and in that way, Sue Grafton succeeded. Sue Grafton is one of my favorite mystery writers. She never fails to create an intriguing and well-written book. Her characters could very well be real people. The mysteries are believable. In a society where so many authors go for over the top crimes and aim for the shock value, Ms. Grafton provides readers with a more down to earth and realistic mystery, a refreshing and needed change at times.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
Kinsey Millhone is asked by wealthy Nord Lafferty to drive down south to pick up his daughter who is being released from prison after serving time for stealing thousands of dollars from her employer. Her employer was also her lover and she took the fall for him. Kinsey asked by Nord to keep his daughter on the rails free from drugs, alcohol and gambling. Soon this proves to be difficult especially when Reba Lafferty discovers that her boss/lover used her to save himself and is now sleeping with the woman she thought was her best friend.

Kinsey struggles to save Reba from herself while trying to help law enforcement get the goods on Reba's boss. Meanwhile Kinsey becomes involved with police detective, Cheney Phillips, and it develops into an emotionally and physically relationship. ( )
  lamour | Jul 10, 2017 |
R is for Rancid.

After starting this book I was wondering how someone could have successfully had a series 18 books long with writing this poor. An hour into reading and I was yet to come across anything other than needless exposition. I then checked the reviews for this and the rest of the series. Apparently most people agree that the quality of Sue's writing has been in decline since her first two in this series. Clearly this is not the book to be picking up to become a fan, this is a book for long time fans who need a few hundred pages to keep them going between other novels. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |

Grafton, Sueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holleman, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, JudyReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, LizaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my granddaughter, Taylor, with a heart full of love
The basic question is this: given human nature, are any of us really capable of change?
ISBNs for abridged audiobooks 0739320866, 0739304216, 0375419144, 1405046554, 1405052694
ISBNs for unabridged audiobooks 0739314378, 0739345907, 1415902909, 0739304224, 1415902917 [Library edition], 0753123738, 0753120518

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425203867, Mass Market Paperback)

When wealthy octogenarian Nord Lafferty hires Kinsey Millhone to help his newly paroled daughter find her way back to the straight and narrow after doing time for embezzlement, the Santa Teresa P.I. has no idea what she's getting into. Reba Lafferty's ex-boss, land developer Alan Beckwith, is the man who sent her to prison--so how come she's meeting him just hours after her release, and treating Kinsey to an X-rated reunion scene played out in his parked Mercedes? And why is he also playing sex games with Reba's formerly best friend, who still works for him? A visit from an old friend from the FBI clears up the mystery--Beckwith is suspected of running a money-laundering game, and they need Reba to make their case by rolling over on him. It’s not until Millhone presents Reba with photographic evidence of Beckwith's two-timing that she agrees to do what the Feds want... but she'll only do it her way, which could get a lot of people killed. Grafton fleshes out this well-crafted thriller with a romantic subplot involving a romantic triangle that features Kinsey's elderly landlord Henry, his brother, and a vivacious widow who can't seem to choose between them. It doesn't add much to the plot, but the fans of this evergreen series (who must be wondering what will happen to Millhone when Grafton gets to the end of the alphabet) probably won't mind a bit. --Jane Adams

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:07 -0400)

An assignment to "babysit" Reba Lafferty, a wealthy and spoiled young woman just out of prison on probation from the California Institution for Women for embezzlement, turns unexpectedly dangerous for Kinsey Millhone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,094,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible