The Revenant by Michael Punke

The Revenant (2002)

by Michael Punke

English (40)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
Based on a true story! Bear mauling of a beaver trapper, left for dead and raided of his gun and anything else that would have made his life possible, survives, and eventually finds his raiders. Unbelievable! Author fleshes out the known facts to put you in the saddle. Want to see the movie! ( )
  lwobbe | Aug 6, 2018 |
Had this story not been based on a true story it would have been a bit hard to believe. That a man could go through this much and still survive is dumbfounding. I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. Again I was reading it before seeing the movie. I would recommend it and can't wait to see the movie. ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 19, 2018 |
This book was incredibly slow pacing mixed with moments of extreme danger and excitement. That is to be expected really since we follow (mainly) one man who was severely mauled by a bear and abandoned in the wilderness and who had to make his way across prairies and forests to get revenge on those who did him wrong.

All that being said, I am a sucker for historical books, especially ones from this time frame and setting. I also enjoyed the fact that this book was based on real events. Like I stated above, this book was really slow for the majority of its pages, but the exciting moments prevented me from dropping the rating down another star. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
The Revenant by Michael Punke is based on the story of Hugh Glass, who, in 1823 was travelling up the Grand River with a party of fur trappers. He was attacked and viciously mauled by a grizzly bear. Hugh is not expected to survive and the group needs to move on so two men are left to stay and care for the wounded man and bury him once he dies. Instead these two men, not only abandon him in the wilderness but take his gun and knife. Instead of dying Glass recovers and, driven by grim determination for revenge, he vows to track down the deserters and begins his long crawl to safety.

The author stays very close to the facts that are known about this event and delivers a spellbinding tale of survival and revenge. This was not the first time I have read about Hugh Glass, his story is also the basis for the 1954 National Book Award recipient, Lord Grizzly by Frederick Manfred, but even on the second reading, the details of this man’s survival are incredible. While Lord Grizzly delved into the actual survival story in greater detail, this book deals more with his pledge for retribution.

The Revenant is a great piece of historical fiction both entertaining and informative as well as an excellent adventure story about one man’s willpower and courage to survive against the odds. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 11, 2018 |

Michael Punkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, HolterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto
wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will
repay, saith the Lord.
                                                       —Rom. 12:19
For my parents, Marilyn and Butch Punke
They were abandoning him.

Mauled by a bear
Glass beats all odds to strike back
Vengeance is mine

Already sold to Warner Bros. for a major motion picture, this riveting novel of the frontier evokes such classics as Jack London's "To Build a Fire" and A. B. Guthrie's The Big Sky. Michael Punke's The Revenant tells a story of nearly unimaginable human endurance over 3,000 miles of uncharted American wilderness, spanning what is today the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Nebraska. Based on the real life of fur trapper Hugh Glass, The Revenant recounts the toll of envy and betrayal, and the power of obsession and vengeance. Punke's novel opens in 1823, when thirty-six-year-old Hugh Glass joins the Rocky Mountain Fur Co. on a venture into perilous, unexplored territory. After being savagely mauled by a grizzly bear, his nearly lifeless body is left in the care of two volunteers from the company—John Fitzgerald, a ruthless mercenary, and young Jim Bridger, the future "King of the Mountain Men." When Indians approach their camp, Fitzgerald and Bridger abandon Glass. Worse yet, they rob the wounded man of his weapons and tools—the very things that might have given him a chance on his own. Deserted, defenseless, and furious, Glass vows his survival. And his revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

The year is 1823, and the trappers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company live a brutal frontier life. Trapping beaver, they contend daily with the threat of Indian tribes turned warlike over the white men's encroachment on their land, and other prairie foes -- like the unforgiving landscape and its creatures. Hugh Glass is among the Company's finest men, an experienced frontiersman and an expert tracker. But when a scouting mission puts him face-to-face with a grizzly bear, he is viciously mauled and not expected to survive. The Company's captain dispatches two of his men to stay behind and tend to Glass before he dies, and to give him the respect of a proper burial. When the two men abandon him instead, taking his only means of protecting himself -- including his precious gun and hatchet -- with them, Glass is driven to survive by one desire: revenge. With shocking grit and determination, Glass sets out crawling inch by inch across more than three thousand miles of uncharted American frontier, negotiating predators both human and not, the threat of starvation, and the agony of his horrific wounds. Based on a true story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,608,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible