Revenant: la storia vera di Hugh Glass e…

Revenant: la storia vera di Hugh Glass e della sua vendetta (original 2002; edition 2014)

by Michael Punke, Norman Gobetti

The year is 1823, and the trappers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company live a brutal frontier life. Trapping beaver, they contend daily with the threat of Indian tribes turned warlike over the white men's encroachment on their land, and other prairie foes -- like the unforgiving landscape and its creatures. Hugh Glass is among the Company's finest men, an experienced frontiersman and an expert tracker. But when a scouting mission puts him face-to-face with a grizzly bear, he is viciously mauled and not expected to survive. The Company's captain dispatches two of his men to stay behind and tend to Glass before he dies, and to give him the respect of a proper burial. When the two men abandon him instead, taking his only means of protecting himself -- including his precious gun and hatchet -- with them, Glass is driven to survive by one desire: revenge. With shocking grit and determination, Glass sets out crawling inch by inch across more than three thousand miles of uncharted American frontier, negotiating predators both human and not, the threat of starvation, and the agony of his horrific wounds. (Based on a true story.)… (more)
Member:niklaus
Title:Revenant: la storia vera di Hugh Glass e della sua vendetta
Authors:Michael Punke
Other authors:Norman Gobetti
Info:Torino, Einaudi, 2014
Tags:narrativa, americana, ebk, biografia

The Revenant by Michael Punke (2002)

English (47)  Italian (1)  All languages (48)
Obviously I picked up this book at the library because of the attention provided by the award-winning movie. And I'm glad I did. I haven't seen the movie yet but will. Because this is one of those books that makes you crave more. It doesn't fit the profile of what I usually like to read, although it is historical fiction. But I tend toward female-focused stories and this all about manly survival in the wilds. Yet, I found it so gripping. I did struggle a bit with the main character's motivation of revenge, although it seems to fit within the historical context of the times. But I wasn't sure how much was from that vs. his own character and view of things. Still, this is a definite recommend for reading. ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
This is a fantastic novel and is highly recommended by me. The audiobook is narrated by Holter Graham, who was very good with dialects, accents, and sounding like the unfortunate wounding of the lead character.
4 stars, and recommended to all. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
I'm a huge fan of the podcast, The Dollop, and have started looking through the sources page, looking for any books/audiobooks for topics they've covered. This has been a great idea! I truly enjoyed listening to this audiobook! At one point I said to myself, "Wait, I didn't think this happened ..." and then as I continued to listen I was reminded of the series of events that i remember from the podcast episode and was, like, "Oo yeah! Now I remember!"

So much fun!

And also a great fictionalization of a real life bad ass! Great writing. I will look for more from this author.

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Mar 7, 2020 |
A survivalist story set in the American wilderness during the fur trade in the early stages of the 19th century. A tracker is left for dead after a grizzly bear attack. He struggles to survive, regain his mind, but driving him is his desire for vengeance on those that left him for dead in the wilds of colonial America.
  DevilStateDan | Jan 28, 2020 |
Wow. What a great read! ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |

Michael Punkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, HolterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto
wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will
repay, saith the Lord.
                                                       —Rom. 12:19
For my parents, Marilyn and Butch Punke
They were abandoning him.

Mauled by a bear
Glass beats all odds to strike back
Vengeance is mine

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,771,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible