A Praying Life: Connecting With God In A Distracting World (2009)

by Paul E. Miller

Author Paul Miller shares his insights and conclusions about how to connect the broken pieces of your life and allow prayer-even poorly delivered-to fill the gaps with meaning and substance. Miller's down-to-earth approach and practical nature will help you see that your relationship with God can grow and your communication with Him can get better. Parents will find Miller's family-life experiences especially helpful.… (more)

To be fair, it may be more my issue than the book's that I found it somewhat boring and uninspiring. Too much hype, perhaps? As a critical thinking Arminian, I may not be the intended audience for this book. Two things I appreciated about this book deserve mention:
1) I discovered about myself that I prefer books about spiritual discipline to engage my heart more than my mind. My mind will be engaged regardless. If you are like me in that regard, this book seemed much more explanatory (and therefore not primarily heart-engaging) than inspirational, for lack of a better word.
2) As far as practical application goes, I think the note card system he advocates is fantastic. ( )
  nrfaris | Dec 23, 2021 |
9/10: One of the best books I've read on prayer, and the best at helping us understand why we pray, and what prayer is for. Miller deals wonderfully both with the messiness and glory of prayer. He gets the balance between the need for persistence when the going is tough, with the vitality and ease that is so essential to relational Christianity. There are also several helpful chapters on the practicalities of prayer and what to pray for. Very definitely recommended — for young and old Christians alike. ( )
  mark_read | Aug 13, 2020 |
I wish I could have read this book 40 years ago. ( )
  Steve777 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Insightful, fresh ideas about prayer amongst some more staid notions of prayer. Miller crosses over into prescribing his habits to readers too quickly when he could merely describe how things have worked or haven't work for HIM. It's always dangerous to interpret events or changes and attribute them as answers to your own prayers. Paul likes to do this, but he also balances his conclusions with the understanding that much that constitutes our lives will always be in progress. I'll dip back into this book in the future. There is much here to revisit. ( )
  bkfriesen | Jan 7, 2020 |
I downloaded this free for my Kindle in 2011 and have only just read it. The updated version is no longer free.

I've read many books on the topic of prayer, but none quite as encouraging or helpful as this one. The author includes several anecdotes about his family life, interspersed with sound and clear teaching on the topic of prayer, with plenty of Scriptural backing.

Nothing new, but plenty to think about and a focus that I found refreshing: that of being truly like small children coming to our Father, full of selfish demands, if that's how we're feeling, or nagging, or complaining. Honesty and spontaneity rather than anything structured or planned.

Highly recommended.

Full review here: https://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-praying-life-by-paul-e-miller.htm... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jun 21, 2019 |
In memory of Benjamin Edward Miller
March 10, 2009
Our seventh grandchild and heavenly treasure
It's hard to pray.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,992,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible