A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a…

A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Paul Miller

Member:misanisa
Title:A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World
Authors:Paul Miller
Info:NavPress (2009), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Religion, Prayer, Christianity, Christian Practice

A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller (2009)

It came so highly recommended that I was skeptical. Nope. It's actually awesome. Authentic and practical and an inspiring challenge to pray with the fervor of the helpless child that I am because I have a powerful and loving Father. ( )
  tagtuck | Jul 10, 2015 |
One of the best books I've read on prayer, and the best at helping us understand why we pray, and what prayer is for. Miller deals wonderfully both with the messiness and glory of prayer. He gets the balance between the need for persistence when the going is tough, with the vitality and ease that is so essential to relational Christianity. There are also several helpful chapters on the practicalities of prayer and what to pray for. Very definitely recommended — for young and old Christians alike. ( )
  markbarnes | Jan 28, 2015 |
Excellent resource for developing a meaningful prayer life! The author's personal anecdotes and prayer experiences make this book easy to read and highly motivational. I found great ideas for enriching my prayers for family and friends, as well as meaningful methods for praying over challenging situations (and people). But above all else this book will teach you how to pray as Jesus did — as a child of the Living God. My greatest lesson is undoubtedly that my own humanity is not to be viewed as a failure when my mind wanders during prayer moments but, rather, that I should simply embrace the child within and bring that scattered girl to the Throne of Grace anyway.

Do read this book. Your prayer life will be forever altered. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
Prayer being an area in my spiritual life that I feel I constantly want to grow, I was eager to read this book, especially after my wife Michelle gave it high marks as did many others.

As for me I think there is a lot in this book but it wasn't fully revealed to me because of other clutter in my heart. I might re-read it sometime and would like to but clutter is hard to rid one self of.

I did take some thought to journaling as Miller recommends so perhaps though I did not get the revelation through my actual reading, I will through journaling.

Based on what I did get out of it and what others have told me they got from this I recommend it ( )
  ScottKalas | Jun 10, 2013 |
I did not just read the book. I chewed and meditated my way through A Praying Life by Paul Miller. Unlike other books on prayer that I’ve read that seem to elevate prayer as something you should do or must do, Miller’s book describes prayer differently. It’s not a spiritual discipline to achieve or maintain.

Making “prayer” a goal such as “I need to pray more” misses the mark. Miller says our goal should not be prayer. Rather, our goal is knowing and loving God in a progressively deeper and intimate way. Focusing on prayer misses the person...

Read more here... ( )
  journeyguy | Apr 2, 2013 |
In memory of Benjamin Edward Miller
March 10, 2009
Our seventh grandchild and heavenly treasure
It's hard to pray.

Paul Miller shares his insights and conclusions about how to connect the broken pieces of your life and allow prayer -- even poorly delivered -- to fill the gaps with meaning and substance. --from publisher description

154 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,427,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible