Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) by…

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) (original 1977; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card (Author)

Series: Ender's Game (1)

36,39198745 (4.31)1 / 1126
Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
Member:jmcatee33
Title:Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet)
Authors:Orson Scott Card (Author)
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), 352 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)

1980s (109)

English (960)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (981)
I'd put off reading this for a very long time because I cannot stand the author's offline homophobic rants. But at the insistence by my girlfriend that it's a really good book and that I'd enjoy it, I finally gave in... and I loved it. The story was engrossing and the only time that I felt it slowed down were the parts with Valentine and Peter. I'm moving on to Ender In Exile after this, as that is touted as the true direct sequel, and then probably on to Ender's Shadow after that. I've read that the later books in the series are more philosophical in nature; seeing as how I don't agree with the author's philosophy I might skip those. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
More boring than I had expected. A lot of military strategy and less visions of a dystopic future than I might like. ( )
  mayalekach | Sep 25, 2021 |
Reminds me of 1984 and, Mr. Card, that is not a compliment.

That is not to say that this doesn't have potential. It also raises some very good questions, philosophical views, political commentaries, etc. But it was subtly disturbing in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. Perhaps because there was no hope. That doesn't mean that life has to be butterflies and unicorns. But, even in the darkest books and movies that I have ever seen (and liked, obviously), there was a glimmer of hope. Gone With the Wind is a terrible book, full of terrible things that happen to both good and bad people. Yet there is hope in people like Mellie and places like Tara. This didn't really offer that to me. And WHAT a message to end on...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of various days of Mr. Card's life and, hopefully, begin to understand him as a writer. That might help me to make sense of this book. I respect him as an author in a tough world but ... I'm not quite sure it's the classic people tell me it is.

So, it's a quality piece of work. But it didn't add anything to my life. And I refuse to let it take anything away. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I first read Ender's Game the same year it was published; I was a marginally successful junior in a US Service Academy at the time, and well on my way to forming my current negative opinion about how such works. What ever other critiques readers might have about Card's story here, IMHO he nailed the military training environment, complete with psychological manipulation and Machiavellian intrigue. I am not surprised to hear rumors that Ender's Game might even be promoted by the military training establishment. Even before this book was published, my training cadre made no secret of how they were using 'significant emotional events' to reshape our personalities to conform to the expected standard ... Much like Graft attempts to manipulate encounters for Ender at the Battle School. This was made slightly more difficult after hazing became illegal; it didn't actually eliminate it, just moved it into the shadows. Needless to say, my first encounter with the book evoked a very strong affinity with the protagonist. First cut gets 5 stars.

Another significant concept Card presented in the story was that such a system inevitably fails ... As in it doesn't predictably (limited correlation) create your top military commanders during war time and can in fact hinder their development. Unfortunately I don't believe Card's solution is very realistic. Throwing away the rulebook in order to foster social isolation and constant exposure to violence at an early age does not create individuals who are strong, independent leaders ... It creates sociopaths. Fortunately Card seems to have a knack for knowing when he may have pushed too hard, as Ender immediately becomes overwhelmed with angst about his actions. About the only benefit I get from these rather irritating episodes is an opportunity to expose ethical talking points (which I took advantage of when I re-read the book with my preteen). Several critics seem to believe that they know which side Card comes down on these issues (e.g. Is Xenocide always evil? ... Is it ever necessary?) ... Strangely enough, there is little unanimity among them (I actually think Card leaves it up in the air for each reader to think about). There are other areas in the story that I could pick apart, in fact an army of critics have already done so (and to some extent they have valid points); however, I still find the over all story to be an excellent starting point for talking about how we go about determining ethical behavior, both within our society and in response to a potential foreign encounter. ( )
1 vote Kris.Larson | Sep 13, 2021 |
I was ready to rate this book 4-stars, but then the ending blew me away. Damn, I wasn't expecting such a strong, emotional, heartfelt ending from the book. It raised the book from 'very good' to 'excellent' for me. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,436,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible