Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) by…

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) (original 1977; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card (Author)

Series: Ender's Game (1), Ender Saga (1), Enderverse (8)

37,928101745 (4.31)1 / 1138
Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
Member:panorsk
Title:Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet)
Authors:Orson Scott Card (Author)
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), 352 pages

Work Information

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (Cecrow)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (111)

English (982)  Spanish (11)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (1,005)
I may actually even read this book at some point in future, since I usually try to separate between the author's public behavior or his opinions and the books he/she has written. That, however, doesn't change the way I am feeling about Orson Scott Card, so if I end up reading his novel, I will be extremely biased against it. I mean, come on:
“The dark secret of homosexual society — the one that dares not speak its name — is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally. [...] Homosexual "marriage" won't accomplish what they hope. They will still be just as far outside the reproductive cycle of life. And they will have inflicted real damage on those of us who are inside it. [...] They will make it harder for us to raise children with any confidence that they, in turn, will take their place in the reproductive cycle. They will use all the forces of our society to try to encourage our children that it is desirable to be like them. ”
-“Homosexual ‘Marriage’ and Civilization,” in The Ornery American, 2004 (source)
or
“Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down.”
-Opinion piece in the Deseret News, 2008 (source)

Everyone's entitled to their personal opinion, but that does not make it okay to verbally downgrade other human beings who, after all, have never done anything wrong and will never hurt anyone with just being gay and trying to be happy. "Far outside the reproductive cycle of life" implies that older people or infertile people should not be allowed to marry either - after all, they are not part of the reproductive cycle of life, right? Basically, he's saying that gay people are evil, and yet, in another statement, he wrote about having many gay friends, while saying that anyone who isn't heterosexual "will use all the forces of our society to try to encourage our children that it is desirable to be like them". First of all, can he even prove that statement? Can he actually show valid proof that this is the case? Second of all ... oh, fuck it. I'm at a loss of words about how ignorant and insulting these statements are.

Rant over. People keep saying what a brilliant storyteller Card is, so I may still read this quite famous novel, but I will definitely wait for a possibility to borrow it from the library or get it somewhere for free.
  Councillor3004 | Sep 1, 2022 |
Great book.

Read it twice. I remember the first time feeling a bit like it was 'Harry Potter ... in .. Spaaaaace', but that would ultimately be unfair. I particular remember the feeling of the books last half (which is ultimately what drew me back to it for a second read).

Beware the sequels, they're not bad (IMHO), but they do have I think a very different style/pace/setting than the original so should almost be considered another book by the same author (although the same characters appear in both). ( )
  benkaboo | Aug 18, 2022 |
This was one of those books that I had always intended to read because it's considered a classic of the genre. I read this as an audiobook, which I think helped as the BBC version is ready by extremely talented voice actors. I've read various critiques of this novel, and I think many of them are overly harsh, because, as difficult a story as this is to work through, I do think that the book is saying something important, at least as far as social and political commentary...it's just that you really have to dig for it. The line, "the humans did not forgive us" tied the novel together beautifully for me. That said, it's really not one of the best science fiction novels that I've read. The cultural hatred and violence were just a bit dense for me to wade through, as was the military setting. This is likely more a visceral reaction on my part than a critique on Card's writing or the work itself, and honestly it's complimentary to the book that it invoked such a reaction. The message of the book, what it's saying, also seemed to be missing it's own point. I think that the plot is confused about itself a great deal of the time.

This is still worth your time to read if you like science fiction, but be prepared for a difficult journey though its pages. ( )
  David_Brown | Aug 15, 2022 |
Card is one of those authors who was eternally on my "to read" list. That is, until I walked in to a Books, Inc shop in San Francisco about a decade ago, when gay marriage was about to hit the ballot in California. Previously I had only read a short story of his in a horror anthology -- a short story that terrified me, until years later when I suddenly realised that it was about abortion, and that it was anti-choice. (I guess it then terrified me in a different way. I should probably reread it, but I kinda don't want to).

The queers and allies working at the Books, Inc. had printed up some of Card's views on gay marriage and displayed them prominently. Plenty of other people have compiled those views now so I don't need to go into it. There are some good things here: https://www.wired.com/2013/07/orson-scott-card-boycott/... and also here: https://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2013/11/07/homophobia-quotes-orson-scott-card-.... This is also a nice personal take: https://www.wired.com/2013/10/enders-game/ ... It was a surprise to me at the time and, combined with my previous experience, I decided that I wasn't going to read any of his stuff. Because life is short, and there are too many other things to read.

And then, for school, I had to read this book. And I loved it.

Looking through the reviews here, there seem to be a few trends: 1. people loved this book when they were young and most still do, yet some don't. 2. people who read this book as adults either LOVED it or HATED it, with a few people who were kinda "meh" but only a few.

Did I love the experience of reading this book because I started from below zero and was therefore surprised that it seemed interesting and sympathetic and that I didn't see the twist coming a mile away (though maybe I should have)? Or was it actually fascinating and interesting in a way that I wasn't expecting? Did I love it because, having just reread Starship Troopers, a book that I hate, it felt like this book was in angry dialogue with that book that I hate? I can't tell. I agree with the people on here who complain about misogyny, but it didn't feel as bad as other contemporary texts. I have no idea why I loved this book so much, and I'm confused about it. If I reread it my experience will probably change.

But Orson Scott Card is still a hateful homophobe. If you want to read this for yourself, please buy it used from an independent book store. ( )
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
Se hace pesado de leer... ( )
  jordisolisc | Aug 7, 2022 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,128,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible