dismiss

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) by Orson…

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet) (original 1977; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card (Author)

Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
Member:Letora
Title:Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet)
Authors:Orson Scott Card (Author)
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), 352 pages
Collections:Science Fiction, Your library
Tags:science fiction, space, battle, action, politics

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Recently added byNinjaMuse, techurbanist, smm21, private library, walrii, Tip44, samwithbellson, sadie429, Cabala13
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (29)

English (911)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (932)
This review is also featured on Behind the Pages: Ender's Game

The Buggers tried to destroy the human race, now it is time for the humans to strike back. Ender is only six years old when his training begins. Taken from his family he is placed in battle school, where the teachers will spare him no mercy. He is thrown up against impossible odds and given nothing. Isolated and afraid, Ender must endure whatever is thrown at him and learn to adapt. The teachers will do anything they can to mold Ender into the perfect commander, even if it costs him his sanity. And while Ender endures the harsh realities of battle school in space, his siblings Peter and Valentine begin to unleash their own plans for Earth. Ender isn’t the only genius of the family. Together, Peter with his violent and quick mind and Valentine with her ability to manipulate, plan to bring the Earth under their control.

Orson Scott Card has taken children and made them so believably intelligent, that the reader never questions their motives. I could hardly remember that Ender was only six as he learned to master self-defense and tactical analysis. And let’s not forget Peter and Valentine who begin to play the politics of earth and warp how the citizens of different countries view one another. All so they can gain the upper hand and control the tide of war and reform.

The characters are truly what makes this story shine. I’m not one for heavy politics. Unfortunately, most of Peter and Valentine’s motives didn’t interest me. But that isn’t to say they weren’t well written. Peter and Valentine play well off of one another, and within them, the reader can see why the government allowed their mother and father to take another chance at having Ender as a third child. Together Peter and Valentine are just as influential as Ender but in different ways. Which is the entire reason Ender was promoted to battle school when Peter and Valentine were not.

Ender is the entire reason I finished this book the first and second time. Watching him grow and adapt to the new situations he was put in kept me reading. Ender endures quite a bit of cruelty and readers will watch it break him down and reforge him into a stronger yet damaged new person. He is a survivor and if there is a way to beat the system, he will do his best to find it.

Ender’s Game is a worthwhile science fiction read. It is heavy on politics, but the science fiction elements and characters carry the story. I am intrigued to continue this series to see where it goes. ( )
  Letora | Jun 21, 2020 |
Finished this in a day and it's brilliant. I can't imagine anyone reading that doesn't become a fan wary of the upcoming movie adaptation. They'll ruin it. It's too good not to be ruined.

To the reviewer who said it was hard to take a story about a young boy being the savior of humanity: watch some anime. Again, I loved this. ( )
  brandonlee | Jun 11, 2020 |
I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. I don't know why, I know of many people who loved it. For some reason, I didn't expect to. I really enjoyed the descriptions of all the strategies employed, but I don't accept the premise of why children had to be used vs adults. ( )
  expatb | Jun 8, 2020 |
Interesting characters, nice plot, great ending. ( )
  chiatt | Jun 7, 2020 |
So nice to read it again. I suppose I can point to this book as being one of the very first to open my eyes to just how much can be accomplished in SF.

I mean, sure, I first read Chriton's Sphere right after King's Tommyknockers so I was feeling the love already, but Ender's Game set a new standard in readability, emotional impact, and sheer cussed F***ed-up-ness.

Since then, I've read over twenty novels that shared echoes of this novel. And yet, I keep coming back to this and its companion, Speaker for the Dead, glorying in the wonder of all these little pieces coming together in plots both interesting, tragic, and wonderful.

This is one of those rare cases where popularity is not unfounded. A great tale meets great acclaim.

I can rank this up near Dune as one of my most beloved novels of all time. No question about it.

Do I pity Ender? Hell, yes. But more than that:

I admire him. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible