Gra Endera (Ender's Game) by Orson…

Gra Endera (Ender's Game) (original 1977; edition 1996)

by Orson Scott Card

Child-hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.
Member:jaco_d
Title:Gra Endera (Ender's Game)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Proszynski I S-Ka (1996), Paperback
Rating:*****

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)

1980s (49)

English (900)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (921)
*Harry Potter* - "Life's so hard when your the 'Chosen One'!"

*Ender Wiggin* - "Hold my apple juice." ( )
  thePatWalker | Feb 10, 2020 |
Once you know about the author you can never go back. This was an infantile book before I knew about the guy who wrote it, needless to say I think less of it after reading anything that's come out of this guy's cake-hole since. ( )
  easytarget | Feb 6, 2020 |
Ender's Game is interesting for the time in which it was published. Card crafts a future in which the norm is propaganda, child soldiers, and a one world government battling a race of alien bugs to protect earth, ostensibly. The book is competent, held my attention, and while the twist is obvious now--it may not have been so at the time and I do not fault it for that. The book isn't perfect as the protagonist is mildly annoying (though that may partially be that my adult sensibilities judge him to be so).

I do recommend this first book in the Ender's Saga (and the second as well). I do think it deserves a place in modern English literature canon. ( )
  thecolorblack | Jan 21, 2020 |
A good fun story. Don’t expect too much and it will reward you. Also, it’s just the doorstep for Speaker for the Dead - that’s where the action is. ( )
  onefear | Jan 11, 2020 |
It's been a few years since I read this book, so this is going based upon my recollections of it. I wonder how much people's love for this book is based upon the war as video game connection in the book.

The book centres around a young boy, the titular Ender who is supposed to be a boy genius (and by boy, he's 6 years old). A long time in this book is spent on basically scenes of laser tag, which are ostensibly military training, but it's all kind of boring. Ender succeeds at basically everything and then the book has his siblings who basically changed the world by blogging? Seriously?

Note that this is all aside from the homoerotic subtext that's pretty clearly present in the book. One big scene involves two young boys fighting while naked and soapy. Okay...

I can understand why young adults might like this book since it basically describes pre-teens who triumph. That combined with the teachers are bad equivalence could make it popular. Are adults who love this just remembering reading it? Or is it the ideas the book presents?

On the plus side, Card does imagine things well before they occurred in real-life. The war as video game is playing out with drones right now and he basically imagined blogging well before the WWW. Basically, there are some interesting ideas here, but poor execution. ( )
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,328,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible