Lovelock by Orson Scott Card

Lovelock

by Orson Scott Card, Kathryn H. Kidd

Series: Mayflower Trilogy (1)

549None18,360 (3.29)4

Hmmmm. Orson starts this with what I take to be a concern about the reduced quality that can arise from some collaborations. How appropriate this turns out to be. I've not read any of Kathryn Kidd's work that I can recall but this is definitely well below what I expect of Orson Scott Card on his own. i seriously doubt the subsequent two books in the series will ever be written and I suspect that might well be for the best as it will allow both authors to get on with something worthwhile. I can only hope that this paid some bills. and yet... I think I would read the sequels if they came out.
The biggest hurdle with these books is that the main protagonist and narrator is so completely unsympathetic. Critical and hate-filled how could you feel any sympathy?

I suspect this was meant to be an introduction to the evils of slavery and the mistreatment of animals as servants of people but ... Lovelock is so scathing even of other animals in his position that it seems the be a perpetuation of the evil.... and perhaps that is meant to be part of the point - but it just doesn't work. and yet I will probably look up other works by Kathryn Kidd and I know I will keep a sympathetic eye out for work by Orson. Perhaps this really is only as variable as many other works by Orson. ( )
  wodfest | Jan 23, 2012 |
Zero stars. In my opinion, the dumbest book Card ever wrote. This has everything that is bad about his post-Ender fiction in spades. I'm not a fan of the so-called Homecoming Saga either, and this shares some of the insipidity of those books. Just way worse.
  scootm | May 3, 2011 |
This was the first book of Orson Scott Card's that I read, many years ago. I looked for more and discovered his voluminous writings - Kathryn H. Kidd didn't write with him anymore (or finish this story) but she is still a reader of his (see his dedications - she's thanked a few times). I loved this story. I don't care that the trilogy wasn't finished, this book is well written, clever, and interesting. ( )
  LeeHallison | Dec 28, 2010 |
Very interesting spin in this book. Worth a read. I hope they finish the series! ( )
  biblioconnisseur | Jan 5, 2008 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, Kathryn H.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To our good friends the Childs,
particularly
Dennis, who has the right tool for suitors and sheep,
Carla, with a soft shoulder and a warm heart,
and Derek▬welcome home.
If I had known what Mayflower held for me, I might have stayed in New Hampshire.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812518055, Mass Market Paperback)

On the Ark, a colony ship bound outward across the stars, not everyone is a volunteer-or even human. Lovelock is a capuchin monkey, engineered from conception to be the perfect servant: intelligent, agile, and devoted to his owner. He is a Witness, privileged to spend his days and nights recording the life of one of Earth's most brilliant scientists via digital devices implanted behind his eyes.

But Lovelock is something special among Witnesses. He's a smarter than most human's; smart enough to break through some of his conditioning. Smart enough to feel the bonds of slavery-and want freedom. Like "Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide," "Lovelock" probes the provocative interface between humanity and another sentient species, set against the awesome scope of interstellar space.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:22 -0400)

The transformation of a monkey from slave to rebel. He is Lovelock, a genetically enhanced animal serving as personal secretary to a famous woman planetologist on the colony spaceship, Mayflower. A look at animal rights from a futuristic perspective.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,468,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible