Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty's House of Horrors

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (7)

603None16,187 (3.99)18
    No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong (flemmily)
    flemmily: Another book about paranormals in a reality tv show. More "adult content" though.

This Kitty book wasn't as great as the previous books. The plot was relatively predictable and therefore a bit boring. Still, it had the Kitty action and fun, so it was a good light read. ( )
  kateminasian | Sep 23, 2013 |
Kitty Norville has been given a new opportunity to garner more publicity for her radio show – reality television. Yes, some rather dubious studio has a plan, gather the few celebrity supernatural beings together – werewolves, vampires, psychics, sorcerers, put them in a cabin in the remote wilderness while filming them all as if it were Big Brother. Sounds like fun?

Well, things get considerably less fun when people disappear. And the power goes out. And the phones stop working. And then people start dying.

Suddenly the monsters are the hunted ones and there are booby traps and guns and bombs and a hidden enemy lurking the forest trying to pick them off one by one.

At this point, the only thing left is to try to survive and try to escape.

Ok, after a brief problem in the beginning (which I’ll get to) I liked this story. I liked the novelty of it – the monsters being confined and hunted so. I liked the tension of it – it was really well paced and the suspense was built beautifully. I liked the character dynamics, everyone was unique enough to be interesting without any convoluted tension or dubious interactions that made no sense. Everything was natural, tense and a little scary

And speaking of scary, I’m impressed by how the enemies were made to be scary. Considering the powers in the house, the different kinds of preternatural creatures, it would be easy to just think “why doesn’t Kitty and Co just walk out the house and eat them?” but we never get that. The enemies, normal humans, are always threatening always a danger and never once do you just think “they’re just human, eat them!”

There is an element of mystery, but that is solved relatively quickly, it is far more an issue of survival horror. And I don’t think I’ve ever really seen survival horror done this well when written, it’s rare for a book to have that atmosphere of fear or even that sense that anyone could die (I had an idea of who was expendable and the characters that would definitely live and I was wrong, very very wrong). The tension, fear and loss was very well maintained and there were moments of utter shock for me - in short, everything you’d expect from a survival horror.

I generally like Kitty as she has grown so much over this series. And here we see that growth – she doesn’t like leading or confrontations. Yet at the same time she’s good at it, she knows what she’s doing, she has charisma and common sense. She’s a peacekeeper, navigating through the personalities and egos around her with charisma, wit and intelligence and she continually has good plans and insight to lead the whole group through the whole siege and, despite the greater power and age of many present, sets herself up as the one in charge with the best ideas without it being convoluted or silly or horribly Spunky.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Strong character building, realistic setup...these are the reasons I read Carrie Vaughn!! Admittedly, Kitty wasn't my favorite person to start with, but she has matured and grown a lot. I find myself lost in Kitty's workd anytime I pick up a Kitty Norville story. ( )
  lesmel | May 19, 2013 |
Amazon preorder
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
I wasn't a fan of this one at all, it just seemed like a filler book. Abigail gives it more credit (and a more thorough review) at All Things Urban Fantasy. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daniel and Mike

Comrades in Arms
I knew if I stayed in this business long enough, I’d get an offer like this sooner or later.

Talk radio host and werewolf Kitty Norville has agreed to appear on TV's first all-supernatural reality show. She's expecting cheesy competitions and manufactured drama starring shapeshifters, vampires, and psychics. But what begins as a publicity stunt will turn into a fight for her life. The cast members, including Kitty, arrive at the remote mountain lodge where the show is set. As soon as filming starts, violence erupts and Kitty suspects that the show is a cover for a nefarious plot. Then the cameras stop rolling, cast members start dying, and Kitty realizes she and her monster housemates are ironically the ultimate prize in a very different game.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible