Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty's House of Horrors

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (7)

No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong (flemmily)
    flemmily: Another book about paranormals in a reality tv show. More "adult content" though.

Kitty's attempts to break into television never go well. First, she was outted on national TV by kidnappers in Washington D.C. Then, after hosting a live episode of The Midnight Hour in Vegas, she's kidnapped again by a cult of feline lycanthropes. Now Kitty joins the cast of a reality show only to find out it's really a snuff film. I think Kitty should stick to radio. :)

House of Horrors is another of my favorite Kitty installments. I love the premise of a reality show with supernatural guests trying to convince a skeptic. I love that we get to visit with favorite characters Jeffrey Miles, Ariel, Odysseus Grant, and Tina McCannon from previous books. I happened to really enjoy the new faces, too: pro-wrestler and werewolf Jerome Macy; politician and were-seal Lee Pontac; author and skeptic Conrad Garrett; vampires Annastasia and Gemma, and their human Dorian.

The beginning of the book is kind of fun--watching all these various personalities interact with silly games and discussions one might see on a reality show. The scene where Lee shows off his seal to the group just when the skeptic has left is priceless.

Then things get nasty. Turns out the show is just a premise to get everyone in one remote location for a big game hunt, and our group of supernaturals are the game. Far too many of them die for my taste. What I do like is how Kitty keeps thinking, "What would Cormac do?" Using Cormac as a template for predicting and out-thinking the bad guys is an excellent strategy and one Kitty can access easily.

What I didn't care for much in this book is the tension between Anastasia and Grant regarding Roman. Again, this is part of the Romany story line that never really worked for me. Both Grant and Anastasia believe the other is working for Roman. Since Roman isn't really a threat yet, as far as the reader is concerned, this feels like a lot of useless posturing.

Overall, this is my favorite Kitty book after the first four, I think just because of the characters and the premise. This one gets a shiny five from me.

Purchased. Review courtesy of onebooktwo | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Mar 8, 2016 |
Kitty is asked to do a reality tv show. She'd hoped it would be a platform to educate the public, but then her fellow contestants started dying. Now it's more like the Most Dangerous Game--with paranormal creatures!

A good adventure yarn, but pretty light on characterization or the overarcing plot of the series. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I think I practically inhaled this book. Really started around 4:30pm and its 8:15pm. It reads fast and furious. An awesome continuation of the series. There's death of friends and new friends made. Cormac is also out of jail, so the next book should be interesting! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Kitty what now ??? Kitty falls under the spell of a producer that wants to open the eyes of his watchers, to educate them about the supernatural. The famous supes from other 'races' will all be there. They have a loge rented, everything will be taken care of, it will be like a 2 week vacation. Tina her physic friend, Grant the magician and others she's heard of. It's supposed to be like a slumber party where we all have fun and learn. Located out in the middle of nowhere Montana. How could this go wrong ? A lot.
I loved this installment in the series. I got to learn a lot more about some of the characters I've been curious about. It was Survivor for Supes plus. This was a tough one for my girl, she had to think like Cormac. Yes, it got that bad ! There was death, tears, anger, hate, friendship, mistrust, manipulation and more in these pages. it is a wild ride not to be missed in the series. At one point when she ran to her mate Ben I teared up, they are a lovely couple. You'll see, it will yank at your heart too. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I really liked this book though somehow I ready Kitty goes to War before this one so it made a lot more sense when I finally read it.

It took me a total of three hours to read the entire book. I just couldn't put it down.

The characters were well written and without giving away any spoilers several people that I like died which made me sadfaced.

I was happy though that Cormac FINALLY made parole ( )
  wanderingwynd | Oct 27, 2015 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daniel and Mike

Comrades in Arms
I knew if I stayed in this business long enough, I’d get an offer like this sooner or later.

Talk radio host and werewolf Kitty Norville has agreed to appear on TV's first all-supernatural reality show. She's expecting cheesy competitions and manufactured drama starring shapeshifters, vampires, and psychics. But what begins as a publicity stunt will turn into a fight for her life. The cast members, including Kitty, arrive at the remote mountain lodge where the show is set. As soon as filming starts, violence erupts and Kitty suspects that the show is a cover for a nefarious plot. Then the cameras stop rolling, cast members start dying, and Kitty realizes she and her monster housemates are ironically the ultimate prize in a very different game.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,903,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible