Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn

Kitty's House of Horrors

by Carrie Vaughn

Series: Kitty Norville (7)

No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong (flemmily)
    flemmily: Another book about paranormals in a reality tv show. More "adult content" though.

Kitty agrees to go on a Big Brother type of show with supernaturals only to find that the plan is to pick them off one at a time. Kitty is determined to survive and to save her friends that she's with at this.

Kitty realises that she can be a leader and the possibly she needs to step up and ensure that her people are safe. The hunters are determined to kill, and it did feel both breakneck and scary for a while there. I knew that Kitty Survived, there are more books in the series with her name, but I wasn't sure how many more would and was swept up by the story.

I enjoyed the read and want more, there wasn't much really that went on in this story except Kitty learning more about herself and finding that her pack is more than just her fellow werewolves, that those she cares for are really pack, that that's a pretty big growth moment for her, easy to gloss over. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 10, 2015 |
That was a heck of a lot of WTF. I'm still in shock. So many people dead so quickly and for what a few psychos?!?

I'm so glad the epilogue ended on an up note because man, this book really took the punch out of me. It was at the same time so compelling. I often found myself listening to it outside of my normal "listening time". Carrie Vaughn is killing me, in the best possible way. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Read in 2010 Twice. I'm so glad I reread this book, I liked it so much better this time around without being bitter about the let down from a similar plotline in Anne Bishops stuff.

Kitty gets to save people a lot, and really play up the alpha factor in ways that have not been so evident in the prior novels. Interestingly, she is the only one to come out of the debacle uninjured. There may be interesting points about penetrative deaths here, but I'm not prepared to get into that at this time. I liked the gender balance over all, and as always, the lack of gender BS. Kitty continues to strike me as a very believable character with flaws, strengths and realistic reactions to traumatic situations.

There was some arcing plot development here, I hope to see more of that in the new book which I'm gonna go start right now. I feel so much better about the series having read this one in a different light. ( )
  librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |
This Kitty book wasn't as great as the previous books. The plot was relatively predictable and therefore a bit boring. Still, it had the Kitty action and fun, so it was a good light read. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
This book was a return to form after the last two not-so-great books. The action and tension were amazing. It was like watching the movie Scream for the first time - you didn't know who was going to live and who was going to die a horrible death. There was panic, nobleness, cowardice, heroism and sacrifice. Love, hate, life and death. The isolation was lonely, the horror terrifying.

I felt the first death as much as Kitty, it was shocking and saddening. We were just getting to like his character. I felt the same with the last death, that was almost too much. Another character's happiness died with him.

Kitty kept it together surprisingly well under that kind of pressure and applauded when she lost control of wolf and ripped one of the killers a new one. Grant's self control was superhuman though I'm glad he managed to show some emotion when he very nearly almost saved someone but they died anyway - that was devastating but he managed to carry on.

I'm glad Conrad wasn't one of the murderers, his attitude convinced me he would be a monster-hater, it would have been too obvious. I didn't understand why the humans among them were lured there, I can understand killing them to leave no witnesses but why bring them there in the first place? Was it because they were monster-lovers?

The survivor club that was formed in the aftermath was understandable, it was a terrible thing to go through, they'd need support from one another and know that it really did happen and wasn't just a dream/nightmare.

We have our story arc now with Roman and the Long Game. Grant and Anastasia's suspicion of one another and then becoming allies with Kitty was interesting. I wonder what will happen with that. Kitty isn't a major player but somehow she's managed to get herself involved.

Cormac is back. I love his character. He kept Kitty alive without knowing it, his advice, his way of life kept her going, kept the others alive. No matter how guilty he may or may not feel or how many years he was punished in prison for killing many supernaturals, it's kept others alive in this instance, its karmic. I look forward to seeing what trouble he's managed to get himself into in prison and how much it's changed him, if at all.

Kitty continues to grow and experience the highs and lows that life throws at her and deals with them with surprising strength. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Carrie Vaughnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Daniel and Mike

Comrades in Arms
I knew if I stayed in this business long enough, I’d get an offer like this sooner or later.

Talk radio host and werewolf Kitty Norville has agreed to appear on TV's first all-supernatural reality show. She's expecting cheesy competitions and manufactured drama starring shapeshifters, vampires, and psychics. But what begins as a publicity stunt will turn into a fight for her life. The cast members, including Kitty, arrive at the remote mountain lodge where the show is set. As soon as filming starts, violence erupts and Kitty suspects that the show is a cover for a nefarious plot. Then the cameras stop rolling, cast members start dying, and Kitty realizes she and her monster housemates are ironically the ultimate prize in a very different game.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible