Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee…

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

by Bryan Lee O'Malley

The Scott Pilgrim series is fantastic, and I am enjoying my reread of it. ( )
  avarisclari | Jul 13, 2018 |
If volume one was almost completely reproduced in the movie, volume two has plenty of the payout that leads fans of a movie to seek out the book that was its source material. Here we get the back story on Scott's romantic (and musical, and employment) history, and a fantastic kung fu-style face-off between Knives and Ramona, in addition to catching us up to the fight with evil ex number 2.

(Though admittedly, some of the backstory was a little: "what? ...and who was that again? ...and how is this all going to be relevant?" but see, sometimes that's the trouble of watching the movie before reading the books. Impatience for the payoffs you already know are coming...)

This volume also has even more of the almost frictionless flow between dreams, reality, and video game/movie style fight sequences. Generally without losing its sense of humor or taking itself too seriously.

Good, fun read. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
The second volume, just as fantastic as the first, goes more into depth on Scott's past, especially his past with Kim. In fact, the book opens with the story of how they met and became involved. The main focus on this volume seems to be Scott's love life.

One of the great things about this story is how O'Malley seamlessly integrates video game logic into this world. Evil Exes, once defeated, evaporate and leave coins behind (and sometimes the occasional bonus item). Also, his fourth wall breaks are great! (Scott telling another character they should "read the book some time" when asked about something explained in the last volume).

Again, this whole series is just such a fun read and I highly recommend it to anyone. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Nov 10, 2016 |
Another awesome story from O'Malley. Just as smart as the first one and just as fun to read.
I'm officially hooked. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This was good, I'm not sure I enjoyed it quite as much as the first one, but it was good and quite funny, I laughed out loud a few times and I like that it deviated from the film a little more than the first book did and that it showed you some of the back-story- like between Scott and Kim, and told you more about Kim in general. It was fun and easy to read and I like the style of the comics.

The only issues I have are I felt some of the characters looked kind of similar so sometimes I found it hard to remember who was who with the minor characters, and sometimes I felt like it was half way through one thing and it just switched to another thing randomly (mainly near the beginning) which I found a little confusing, but I think these books are cute and I really like some of the characters (I don't really like Scott though but that doesn't bother me too much) but I think anyone who's a fan of the films should definitely read these books.

Ok so also I don't know if this is Lisa's bedroom or Scott's, but I'm pretty sure one of them has a Veruca Salt album cover on their wall which is AMAZING, (also a No Doubt poster which is also very cool), and I love the small references to different bands throughout this book, I don't know why I'm mentioning it really but I love Veruca Salt so I just thought it was very cool how it just had a picture of their album on the wall...

blakktreacle | May 10, 2016 |
In short, it’s more of the same as book one, only better.

What is this?

Scott Pilgrim is no longer excited about dating a high school girl because he's met the girl of his dreams, literally. However, he won't be able to date her until he defeats her seven evil ex-boyfriends.

Bryan Lee O'Malley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,314,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible