A Doll's House (Dover Thrift Editions) by…

A Doll's House (Dover Thrift Editions) (original 1879; edition 1992)

by Henrik Ibsen (Author)

Nora Helmer has everything a young housewife could want: beautiful children, an adoring husband, and a bright future. But when a carelessly buried secret rises fromn the past, Nora's well-calibrated domestic ideal starts to crumble.
Member:RichCarter
Title:A Doll's House (Dover Thrift Editions)
Authors:Henrik Ibsen (Author)
Info:Dover Publications (1992), Edition: 1, 80 pages

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (Author) (1879)

English (63)  Spanish (3)  Italian (3)  Catalan (2)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
Great little play. Still relevant and revolutionary in today's society. ( )
  Gadi_Cohen | Sep 22, 2021 |
I decided to revisit Ibsen's A Doll's House (1879) while I was concurrently reading George Gissing's The Odd Women (1893). Very happy in my decision. Ibsen's masterpiece is the perfect crafting of a theatre piece as delivery mechanism for a contemporary issue of the highest magnitude. It is proffered by the literary academicians that Gissing was not influenced by Ibsen's play, insisting that Gissing did not read the Norwegian playwright until 1888, but I'm unconvinced. No matter, the two works go together quite nicely. Unintentional feminist writing they say. Hmm... ( )
  mortalfool | Jul 10, 2021 |
I have such mixed feelings about this book. By the end the way Nora treated Torvald, what she said to him, was really necessary. He is a big jerk. And she is kind of right when she says that she is not really able to raise her kids. However, every maternal instinct I have screams at her when she decides to leave her children. I could never do that. Perhaps she is stronger than I am, but me leaving my kids would not be an option.
  Conni_W | Jul 7, 2021 |
I came across a reference to this play in Getting of Wisdom, an early 20th C coming of age novel and I followed the hint.
I read little drama, and this was my first Ibsen.
Published, and first played, in 1879, it shines a stark light on male/female relationships and power equations. It seems simple, now, but caused a storm when first released.
A good read, and, for me, managed to convey a good understanding of how the play would look on stage. ( )
  mbmackay | Jul 6, 2021 |
I wasn't sure how a stage play would translate to audio, but it works very well here. The sound is good and the characters all have distinct voices. The play is very dialogue driven, so I didn't feel like I missed anything that might have been gestured or performed but not spoken. Comings and goings are indicated with footsteps and doors, so it felt realistic and comprehendible. Good acting, too. And of course the story, particularly the final conversation, is strong enough to explain why this play is so well known. A woman who finally figures out she's just been a "doll, a plaything" for first her father and then her husband and needs to go out and figure out who she is: I can see that this was ground breaking at one time. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Hide the Christmas Tree carefully, Helen. Be sure the children do not see it till this evening, when it is dressed.
The original Norwegian title was “Et dukkehjem”.
DO NOT combine with editions which include other works.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,184,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible