My America: Freedom's Wings: Corey's…

My America: Freedom's Wings: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, Book One (edition 2001)

by Sharon Dennis Wyeth (Author)

Series: My America (Underground Railroad: Corey's 1st Diary, 1857), My Story, Dear America Collections (My America: Underground Railroad / Corey's 1st Diary, 1857)

500842,399 (4)None
A nine-year-old slave keeps a diary of his journey to freedom along the Underground Railroad in 1857.
Member:SharonnaNuest
Title:My America: Freedom's Wings: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, Book One
Authors:Sharon Dennis Wyeth (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2001), Edition: First Edition, 112 pages

Work Information

Freedom's Wings : Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, Book One by Sharon Dennis Wyeth

I liked the book "My America: Freedom's Wing's" by Sharon Dennis Wyeth. I liked the diary style of writing. It gave the book a unique point of view. Additionally, I liked the action in the plot. Because the point of view is from a boy the plot is protrayed in an interesting way. The big idea of this book is about slavery and the underground railroad.
  may_tay_kay | May 3, 2016 |
As part of the relaunch of the My America series, Sharon Dennis Wyeth introduces readers to Corey Birdsong, a slave boy in antebellum Kentucky. This is the story of his family's attempt to escape.Corey Birdsong is a lively young boy in search of freedom in the same country that made an economy of slavery. He and his family are owned by the Hart family of Kentucky. But, when Corey's father, Roland, flees to the North and Corey and his mother follow.Corey records his daily life on the Hart farm with incredible insight and honesty, and later he describes the difficult journey along the "Underground Railroad" to the North to be reunited with his father. With the help of many kind strangers, Corey, his parents, and his new baby sister arrive afely in Canada.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
Lesson 20 - The Causes of the Civil War
  ccsdss | Feb 29, 2016 |
Summary:This book is about a young slave named Corey Birdsong. In this book, the reader finds out information by reading Corey’s daily journal entries. During this book, Corey learns to read and write from his father. However, Corey’s owners treat his family very poorly. His dad and his dad’s friends are the first slaves who try to run away. Consequently, his dads friend did not make it and was brought back to the family who owned him. While this was going on, Corey barley wrote any entires because he thought no one would be able to read it. However, he did try to teach his friend how to read and write during this time. Then one day, Corey and his mom decided they needed to escape. However, Corey’s mom is pregnant which makes the journey harder for them. It describes how careful they must be and it describes all the characters they meet along the way who help them out. Eventually, Corey is separated from his mom, but he later finds his dad. Together, they go back for his mom and discover that he has a new sister. The family makes the journey into Canada, where they are finally free.

Review: The main message of this book was to inform the readers on the hard life slaves had and to describe why we should not take our freedom for granted. This book describes how hard it was for Corey and his family to find freedom. It also claimed that if slaves were found trying to run away, they would be beat by their masters. The author does a good job describing the emotions that must have been running through slaves heads as they were trying to run away. For example, at one point Corey claimed he was, "full of worry" (84) for his mama and daddy. By reading Corey's thoughts and following him on his journey, the author is pointing out how valuable our freedom is. At one point in time, not everyone was free. Therefore, we should not take our freedom for granted. ( )
  jbaile14 | Nov 14, 2014 |
Summary: "Freedom Wings" is the first book in a series about a young boy's journey through the underground railroad. Corey and his family are forced to flee a Kentucky plantation and head towards the underground railroad. They are fed up with slavery and will do anything to insure this isn't the life they will live forever.
Review: While fiction, I really thought "Freedom's Wings" presented a powerful take on slavery and the underground railroad. The main character, Corey, is nine years old. He writes this diary to document his family's escape from their plantation. What I really liked about this book in particular, was the broken English used throughout Corey's diary. This provided an authentic document for me. ( )
  cclark37 | Oct 13, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

My America (Underground Railroad: Corey's 1st Diary, 1857)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,301,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible