Patriot games by Tom Clancy

Patriot games (original 1998; edition 1987)

by Tom Clancy

While vacationing in London, CIA analyst Jack Ryan saves the Prince and Princess of Wales from a terrorist attack and gains the gratitude of a nation and the enmity of its most dangerous men.
Member:Andyr27
Title:Patriot games
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:New York: Putnam, c1987.
Rating:*****
Tags:clancy, Fiction, spy, techno-thriller

Patriot Games by Tom Clancy (1998)

Recently added byyakatz, CompassSchool, private library, CoHo2, TBatalias, KevinRudy, tombrown, FlossieTheSheep, pgsmith

English (45)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (48)
Dit boek is de voorganger van [b:The Hunt for Red October|19691|The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan Universe, #4)|Tom Clancy|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1281995542s/19691.jpg|1112006], maar geschreven nadat boek is uitgekomen. Het figuur van Jack Ryan komt niet echt lekker overeen met die in 'Hunt'.

Terwijl hij op vakantie is, redt Jack de Kroonprins van Engeland uit een hinderlaag, maar raakt zelf zwaar gewond. Zowel de Kroonprins als zijn vrouw en moeder raken onder de indruk van Jack en ze raken bevriend. Jack komt later in dienst van de CIA en heeft daarbij de hand in het oprollen van een gevaarlijke terroristen netwerk. Ondertussen zitten zijn vijanden niet stil en bereiden een aanslag op hem en zijn gezin voor. Cathy, Jacks vrouw, en hun dochter Sally raken ernstig gewond bij die aanslag, maar overleven dit allemaal.

Tijdens een bezoek aan de Verenigde Staten bezoeken de Kroonprins en zijn vrouw de Ryan's, maar hun agenda is uitgelekt, en de terroristen proberen nogmaals toe te slaan. Ook dit keer lukt hen dit niet, en volgt een schietpartij met de beveiliging. Jack en zijn vrienden weten te ontvluchten naar de nabij gelegen marine-haven, achtervolgt door de terroristen.

Sommige delen van het verhaal konden gemakkelijk uit het boek blijven. Zoals de hoofdstuk over de Concorde en Jack's vliegangst. Verder aardig verhaal. Meestal is het andersom, maar in dit geval vond ik de film beter. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
This was a reread of a book I read when it first came out, and several times since then. It starts with a bang as Jack, on a working vacation in London with his family, witnesses a kidnapping attempt on the royal family. His instinctive reaction stopped the attack and put him in the bullseye of revenge.

One of the things I enjoy most every time I read this book is the deft mixture of action, darkness, and humor. The opening attack sucks me into the story immediately, on the edge of my seat as Jack rushes into action. Clancy's descriptions are vivid enough that I can picture the events as they happen. The confusion at the scene felt realistic, and I could feel Jack's worry that he'd end up "stuck like a pig" when the good guys showed up. I always laugh at the scenes in the hospital as Jack deals with the doctors (including his wife) and other medical personnel. The scenes with various law enforcement personnel show Jack what he inadvertently got involved in and reveal his razor-sharp mind as he processes what he learns. The scenes with multiple members of the royal family are good, but my favorite is when he helps the prince work through his feelings about what happened. Though not particularly realistic, it is still a great scene.

As the book continues we get the viewpoints of both the bad guys and the good guys. Jack and his family return home, secure in the knowledge that the bad guy is in jail and terrorists have never attacked on American soil. But the tension ramps up as the bad guy escapes and assorted good guys get a bad feeling about what might happen. Jack is lured into the CIA's sphere as he tries to get a handle on the group behind the attack. Their fears are realized when Jack's wife and daughter are nearly killed in an attack, and only luck prevents Jack from being attacked too. I ached for Jack as he dealt with his feelings of guilt and fear by getting more involved in the case. Jack goes through a lot of self-examination as he tries to reconcile his need for justice with the anger and desire for revenge that he also feels.

The tension continues to build as the book follows the terrorists as they make plans for their next attack. The attention to detail was intriguing and as were the insights into the various players' motivations. At the same time we see the good guys as they try to assemble the pieces of the puzzle in time to stop whatever is planned.

The final confrontation was a nail-biter. It started easy, with the royal visit and some amusing banter between Jack, Robby, and the prince. The chaos of the attack was described so vividly that I felt as though I was there. The escape by boat was exciting, and their arrival at the Academy was tense but also had a few lighter moments. The pursuit of the last of the bad guys had me on the edge of my seat until it was all over. Jack faced a crossroads in his life, and it was interesting to see how he handled it. I loved the ending.

One of my favorite lines is as the Superintendent asks Robby who is aboard the ship: "Chief Znamirowski and the duty boat section, Captain Peters and some Marines, Doctor Ryan, and, uh, Captain Wales, sir, of the Royal Navy" "Is that where he is?..." ( )
  scoutmomskf | Oct 4, 2019 |
I saw the movie years ago, and I suppose that's why it took me so long to get around to reading the book--wanting to be able to take the book as it is, rather than remember the movie too clearly--but I really enjoyed this and wish I'd gotten around to it sooner. Yes, the technology is now a bit dated, but if you can pull yourself into the time of the book and enjoy it for what it is, it's a fantastic, character-driven escape filled with great characters and suspense.

I'd certainly recommend it, and I look forward to reading more of the series sooner than later. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jul 19, 2019 |
This one takes a while to get going. It never really turns into a real page turner until the last couple or 3 chapters when we get to the climax of the whole situation. I'd say that maybe 100 pages or so could come off here and there, and you'd probably get a faster paced book. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |
Very enjoyable novel about family, military culture, terrorism and the 1980s. One obvious plot whole was the way the secret service let the terrorists into the area they were guarding because they believed they were repair men. This would not happen then or now. ( )
  Michaenite | Mar 27, 2019 |

Clancy, Tomprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratzkin, LawrenceCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, France-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een jong gezin wordt het onontkoombaar doelwit van meedogenloze terroristen.
FOR WANDA
Ryan was nearly killed twice in half an hour.
Als verdorven lieden hun krachten bundelen , moeten goede mensen zich verenigen; anders zullen zij één voor één ten onder gaan, als naamloze slachtoffers in een verwerpelijke strijd. (Edmund Burke).
Im Polnischen auch unter dem Titel "Czas Patriotów" (Stunde der Patrioten) veröffentlicht.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,573,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible