The Circle Opens Street Magic #2 cold Fire…

The Circle Opens Street Magic #2 cold Fire #3 (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Tamora Pierce (Author)

While studying with her teacher Frostpine in the northern land of Namorn, Daja helps the twin daughters of her host family discover their own magic and uses her powers to track an deadly arsonist.
Member:Kanenas77
Title:The Circle Opens Street Magic #2 cold Fire #3
Authors:Tamora Pierce (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2003), Edition: Reprint

Work Information

Cold Fire by Tamora Pierce (2002)

I enjoyed The Circle of Magic Series but I think this series, The Circle Opens, is better. The chracters are more fleshed out and I find the stories more engaging. I always love the writing style of Tamora Pierce and this is no exception. As always these are a must read for me. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Oh man this was one very intense! I think this was less mystery and more thriller, which is a cool kind of genre change up here. It also meant I personally was so much more tense and screaming at the book at certain points. But if you want Criminal Minds for kids, this is right up your alley I think. (The cop/carcerality stuff uh bugged me but ymmv, most kids books are not written for prison abolitionists.) ( )
  aijmiller | Dec 21, 2020 |
This is one of my favorite series, I really enjoy these 4 as they get older and experience different things. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
oh. Even though this is, like, at least the fifth time I've read this book, I still can never believe the end, and I'm never ready for it. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |

This quartet follows the four young mages from the Circle of Magic quartet as they go their separate ways and take on first students on their own. Briar, Daja, and Tris all go to distant lands and Tamora Pierce has some pretty interesting world building going on in these novels, which was really fun to read.

In the Circle of Magic quartet, Daja's Book and Briar's Book were by far and away my favorites, and I was pleased that this time I loved Daja's, Briar's, AND Tris's stories. My favorite new place was definitely Namorn (Daja's book, Cold Fire), and my favorite plot line was Tris's in Shatterglass.

Where the Circle of Magic quarter seemed to focus more on natural disasters and issues in a scale of mass destruction (forest fires, plagues, earth quakes, pirate attacks...), in this quartet Tammy turns her hand to what I can only relate to cozy mysteries. Each book has a sort of double-plot of each kid teaching their new student (or students), while also solving, helping to solve, or being somehow affected by strings of murders. Don't know if Tammy got her serial killer research on and felt inspired or what, but they definitely made for some interesting reading. Another really interesting part of these books was the explanation of the new crafts, especially the well-researched and beautifully detailed descriptions of glass-blowing in Shatterglass.

I was happy to see Tammy's writing has continued to improve over the years, and these books were much less painful than last month's of the Tortall books, but then again I was also reading these books for the first time, so getting caught up in the new stories could have been a part of that.

Reading these books has made me look forward again to seeing what Tamora Pierce will come up with next! =) ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |

Scanlan, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanMap artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TheronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the firefighters, policemen, rescue workers and medical personnel of New York City, our truest heros in our darkest time
In the city of Kugisko, in Namorn: Niamara Bancanor, twelve and sometimes too helpful in Daja Kisubo's opinion, gripped Daja's left hand and elbow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,994,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible