Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics) by…

Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1818; edition 2005)

by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, Karen Karbiener (Introduction)

34,75462150 (3.81)2 / 1672
A monster assembled by a scientist from parts of dead bodies develops a mind of his own as he learns to loathe himself and hate his creator.
Member:clawton1
Title:Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Other authors:Karen Karbiener (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2005), Paperback, 256 pages

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818)

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Journals of Mary Shelley by Professor Paula R. Feldman (JessamyJane)
    Grendel by John Gardner (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both books attempt to get into the mind of a monster.
    Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein by Dave Zeltserman (Crypto-Willobie)
    Crypto-Willobie: A decadent noirish retelling of the Frankenstein story from the monster's point of view.
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Science and the responsibility for its results.
    The Sand Man / The Deserted House by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Sielun pimeä puoli : Mary Shelley ja Frankenstein by Merete Mazzarella (GoST)
    Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (thecoroner)
    Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror: The Castle of Otranto; The Old English Baron; Mistrust; The White Old Maid; The Heir of Mondolfo; The Fall of the House of Usher; Carmilla by Robert Donald Spector (FrankNstein)
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [1994 film] by Kenneth Branagh (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Nowhere near as bad as many silly reviews would have you believe. Countless changes of the novel, but the spirit, the basic story and the essence of the characters are retained. Actually improved. The movie's more Gothic and more horror, for one (or two) thing(s). More dramatic and more tightly plotted, too. Excellent cast and production design.… (more)
    Paradise Regained by John Milton (ricalyr)
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (leigonj)
    leigonj: The romantic elements of Frankenstein are clearly influenced by Goethe's classic of the genre. I was not in the least surprised when it was referred to directly in the text.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O'Brien (Anonymous user)

Power (1)
1810s (3)
Europe (255)
Catalog (27)
Uni (2)

English (590)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (621)
I'm glad I read it. I had asked a friend to recommend a classic fiction piece, and she recommended Frankenstein. I found an original version on e-book in the Kobo store (the version which I can't find in Goodreads, because Amazon), and read it.

The author's approach to narrate the story through the characters in the story (in their conversations and letters) was quite interesting. And I never knew that "Frankenstein" was the name of the creator, not the being which was created. ( )
  DwaynesBookList | Sep 6, 2021 |
I am seriously considering making a shelf for 'characters-I-wish-I-could-kill'

Soooo Frankenstein is such a jerk! This book would've gotten 1 star if there weren't those couple of chapters from the creatures perspective. The beginning doesn't add anything to the story and the letters are pretty pointless. Vic leads an ideal life whoop-de-do, BORING. Then he see lightning strike a tree *gasp* like THAT'S never happened before... So Vic now know how to create life! But reanimating a dead body, that's just TOO simple isn't it? Let's take hundreds of different body parts and just put them together into one huge 8 foot tall person, isn't that just the best idea you've ever heard? And hey, how about the second it opens it's eyes we just leave this 8 foot baby on it's own and never come back? Cause THAT makes total sense and is definitely responsible of you. When you eventually run into it and it requests a companion at the cost of letting all if your friends and family live, let's just say 'F U MAN I don't need to listen to you' and just let him kill your little brother, let Justine die for being convicted of your brother's murder, let Elizabeth die on your wedding night, let him strangle your BFF, AND let your father die. All of Vic's misery is no where NEAR the misery that the creature feels, and all of Vic's misery was his own fault! Man, I just wanted Victor to die throughout the whole book. It really makes you pity the poor monster. He was abandoned by society and forced to not be his benevolent, true self. ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
Fiction
  hpryor | Aug 8, 2021 |
I never tire of the story of meeting one's maker, whatever form it should come in. This is a classic treatment of that theme.

I first read this years ago, and my recent re-reading offered me a different perspective. I was formerly eager to find heroes and villains, and who can help but feel sorry for the poor creature, abandoned by his maker and rejected by human society? Who can help but find fault with Herr Frankenstein for his fickleness, instantly despising the creature he worked so long and so obsessively to bring into being?

Now I find the moral dilemmas less clear-cut. Still, a fascinating study about one's moral responsibilities to others, whether creator or created or just cousin on the family tree. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
"Frankenstein" the book is very different from the impressions of the story I'd gained from movie images. "Baron Von Frankenstein" is not a nobleman, nor a mature or near-elderly man. He's a very bright college kid who gets obsessed with the idea of understanding the secret of the life force. There is no castle, no giant lab, no lightning storm. . . just a rented room in a student boarding house. In fact, Shelley's Frankenstein is adamant about sharing nothing about how he creates his monster, lest others share his sad fate.

The "monster" is the true hero of the book -- an ugly creature abandoned by his creator in the moment of his uncanny 'birth.' Although at first animal-like, he gradually grows into the sensibilities of a man, with an instinct to do good. But his sincere efforts to be good, and to win his way into community, are rebuffed at every turn, and these disappointments hurt him to the point of furious revenge.

Victor Frankenstein spends most of the book wallowing in guilt and depression, unable to either see the capacity for virtue in his creation or provide it with the means to have a peaceful existence. The monster, his twisted mirror, is a wretch battling desperately for companionship, love, knowledge, and justice.

This is definitely a novel written in another time. The story is revealed through the letters of an ambitious sea captain who stumbles into the final chapter of the larger story. Everything is related as memory, and there are far too many pages of Frankenstein moaning about his unhappiness. It's not an adventure story or a horror story or an action-adventure. Instead, it's a moral tale played out in fantastical circumstances, leaving the reader to judge who, in the end, is the true monster. ( )
  jsabrina | Jul 13, 2021 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
—Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
To Mrs Saville, England. St. Petersburgh, Dec. 11th, 17—. You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied
the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded
with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Author's Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831))
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers—their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
It was the wretch, the filthy daemon to whom I had given life!
"I have lately been so engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest. But I hope that all those employments are now at an end, and that I am at length free."
I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me.
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.

.dbf

Template:Cite techreport/testcases

Template:Cite thesis/testcases

Template:Convert/Transwiki guide/translate

Template:Infobox book/doc

Wikipedia:List of online reference desks/Science

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Novels

Wikipedia:Phase II feature requests/Wiki shortcuts

Wikipedia:Red flags in edit summaries

Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2015 August 22

Wikipedia:Reference desk archive/Language/April 2006

Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Three narratives in one, all of them exploring the unknown. The ship captain is pushing dangerously into the Arctic. Dr. Frankenstein makes a notable breakthrough, creating human life anew, but runs from the consequences. The creature, who creates his own education, and determines that he needs a mate.

This volume distinguishes the three narrative levels: the sea captain, Dr. Frankenstein, and the Creature. Backmatter material adds some information about the book and its author.
Victor Frankenstein is just a college student who wants to figure out the technical details of how life works. Obsessed with chasing this discovery, he creates something unthinkable. And then things all go wrong. Read a Gothic horror classic easily with this modern English translation. But don't worry about missing anything, because the original unedited 1831 version is here too, along with a scholarly essay.
The creature awakes,
Horrible yet innocent,
Abandonment scars.
(hillaryrose7)
It is dangerous,
To play God with life and death,
Horror the result.
(hillaryrose7)

Current discussions

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in Gothic Literature

5 1917

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,276,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible