HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) by Mary…

Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) (original 1818; edition 2003)

by Mary Shelley

38,41266147 (3.81)4 / 1724
A monster assembled by a scientist from parts of dead bodies develops a mind of his own as he learns to loathe himself and hate his creator.
Member:aquiram
Title:Frankenstein (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Mary Shelley
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 352 pages

Work Information

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Author) (1818)

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Journals of Mary Shelley by Professor Paula R. Feldman (JessamyJane)
    Grendel by John Gardner (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both books attempt to get into the mind of a monster.
    Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein by Dave Zeltserman (Crypto-Willobie)
    Crypto-Willobie: A decadent noirish retelling of the Frankenstein story from the monster's point of view.
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Science and the responsibility for its results.
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The deserted house + The sandman by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Sielun pimeä puoli : Mary Shelley ja Frankenstein by Merete Mazzarella (GoST)
    Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (thecoroner)
    Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror by Robert Donald Spector (FrankNstein)
    Paradise Regained by John Milton (ricalyr)
    Fries Alive! by David Baldacci (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: In both cases creations are brought to life by lightning. Baldacci's is better for the younger set (ages 7-10) while Frankenstein can be enjoyed by many ages.
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [1994 film] by Kenneth Branagh (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Nowhere near as bad as many silly reviews would have you believe. Countless changes of the novel, but the spirit, the basic story and the essence of the characters are retained. Actually improved. The movie's more Gothic and more horror, for one (or two) thing(s). More dramatic and more tightly plotted, too. Excellent cast and production design.… (more)
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (leigonj)
    leigonj: The romantic elements of Frankenstein are clearly influenced by Goethe's classic of the genre. I was not in the least surprised when it was referred to directly in the text.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Morteana)

Europe (15)
Power (1)
Uni (2)
1810s (3)
100 (10)
Catalog (27)

English (625)  Spanish (10)  Italian (5)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (660)
What a beautifully-crafted psychological horror (as I don't name the far-away stalking of the creator tangible horror in the original sense). Had to read this for a class, and was not disappointed. Often read ahead of what we were assigned.

Having just finished it, I can say it was very well done, a rather bitter ending (by my standards), to a book about regret, revenge, demonization, and humanity's futile attempts to 'play god.'

Will be reading this again freely, on my own time, as I feel I've missed a lot while having to read it in segments for class.
  writingvampires | Jan 30, 2023 |
The novel that (in the minds of many) started the genre of science fiction. This original portrayal of Frankenstein's monster is much more interesting than our modern depiction of the slow, unintelligent beast. The story does hold up really well despite being 200 years old, but if you're not already a fan of 19th century prose, it's not the easiest read. ( )
  James_Knupp | Jan 20, 2023 |
I had somehow missed reading this classic over the years - don't make this mistake. There's a reason this has become part of the culture - a story not only of horror but of wonder, despair and the human condition, wonderfully written. This replication of an original edition is particularly nice as well. Highly recommended - a few falters and gaps in the narrative, but a book deserving of it's reputation as a classic. ( )
  dhaxton | Jan 15, 2023 |
I read the book on Standard Ebooks, which is Project Gutenberg if Project Gutenberg had nicer formatting. I'll try to use their service instead of Gutenbergs in the future, since the reading experience is more consistent.

In a fit of passion, the protagonist imbues lifeless matter with life, thus creating Frankenstein. Frankenstein is ostracized because of his nightmarish appearance even though he wishes to do good, so he demands of his creator to make a companion like him. The creator declines—so Frankenstein ruins his life.

I expected more horror from the book, but it wasn't in the slightest scary. Frankenstein is Frankenstein, everyone knows him, if only as cartoonish Halloween decoration.

I hope Robert Walton got back safely, he can probably live comfortably off of the publishing and selling of the story. ( )
  KJC__ | Dec 14, 2022 |
Things I learned

1. Nothing like the Mel Brooks movie
2. Viktor Frankenstein was a weepy little bitch
3. Interesting when viewed as one of the first horror novels, yet the monster was more human than expected ( )
  martialalex92 | Dec 10, 2022 |

Crisol (265)
Folio SF (5-533)
Lanterne (L 295)
Livro B (12)
SF Masterworks (New design)

Is contained in

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
—Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
To Mrs Saville, England. St. Petersburgh, Dec. 11th, 17—. You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied
the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded
with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Author's Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831))
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers—their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
It was the wretch, the filthy daemon to whom I had given life!
"I have lately been so engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest. But I hope that all those employments are now at an end, and that I am at length free."
I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me.
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.

.dbf

Template:Cite techreport/testcases

Template:Cite thesis/testcases

Template:Convert/Transwiki guide/translate

Template:Infobox book/doc

Wikipedia:List of online reference desks/Science

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Novels

Wikipedia:Phase II feature requests/Wiki shortcuts

Wikipedia:Red flags in edit summaries

Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2015 August 22

Wikipedia:Reference desk archive/Language/April 2006

Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Three narratives in one, all of them exploring the unknown. The ship captain is pushing dangerously into the Arctic. Dr. Frankenstein makes a notable breakthrough, creating human life anew, but runs from the consequences. The creature, who creates his own education, and determines that he needs a mate.

This volume distinguishes the three narrative levels: the sea captain, Dr. Frankenstein, and the Creature. Backmatter material adds some information about the book and its author.
Victor Frankenstein is just a college student who wants to figure out the technical details of how life works. Obsessed with chasing this discovery, he creates something unthinkable. And then things all go wrong. Read a Gothic horror classic easily with this modern English translation. But don't worry about missing anything, because the original unedited 1831 version is here too, along with a scholarly essay.
The creature awakes,
Horrible yet innocent,
Abandonment scars.
(hillaryrose7)
It is dangerous,
To play God with life and death,
Horror the result.
(hillaryrose7)

Current discussions

Frankenstein LE 2022 in Folio Society Devotees

5 2046

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439475, 0141024445, 0141045116, 0141198966

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175129, 1909175137

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,827,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible