Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) by Mary…

Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) (original 1818; edition 2003)

by Mary Shelley, Maurice Hindle (Editor)

28,35550855 (3.81)1 / 1510
Member:jasonpettus
Title:Frankenstein (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Mary Shelley
Other authors:Maurice Hindle (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2003), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Journals of Mary Shelley by Professor Paula R. Feldman (JessamyJane)
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    The Sand Man / The Deserted House by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    Grendel by John Gardner (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both books attempt to get into the mind of a monster.
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    Sielun pimeä puoli : Mary Shelley ja Frankenstein by Merete Mazzarella (GoST)
    Monster by Dave Zeltserman (Crypto-Willobie)
    Crypto-Willobie: A decadent noirish retelling of the Frankenstein story from the monster's point of view.
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Edition) by Mark Twain (JolieLouise)
    JolieLouise: The Mysterious Stranger is about a creator's treatment of his creation.
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (leigonj)
    leigonj: The romantic elements of Frankenstein are clearly influenced by Goethe's classic of the genre. I was not in the least surprised when it was referred to directly in the text.
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (thecoroner)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are novels about the horrendous consequences that arise from excessive human meddling with nature, i.e. "playing God."
    Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror: The Castle of Otranto; The Old English Baron; Mistrust; The White Old Maid; The Heir of Mondolfo; The Fall of the House of Usher; Carmilla by Robert Donald Spector (FrankNstein)
    Poor Things by Alasdair Gray (bertilak)

Power (1)
1810s (2)

English (488)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  Danish (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (508)
Ehhhhh not sure I I didn’t enjoy this because of the narration or if the story just seemed to drag a bit. I did have trouble keeping the “Young Frankenstein” movie images out of my mind throughout. At least that made me chuckle a little bit. 3🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | Sep 22, 2018 |
I've had Frankenstein on my to read list for years. This summer, my 14 yr. old niece was telling me about how it's her favorite book, so I decided to bump it up the pile and read it. I will be very interested to talk to her about this book. I really didn't like it. It is a miserable story and it makes me wonder whether anything could have been different, if, for example, Frankenstein had been kind to his monster? Everyone dies, everyone is unhappy, and it's so pathetically sad that any creepy factor gets totally lost. Sigh. I never thought I'd say that I liked Dracula better, but I did. I liked Dracula better. ( )
  nittnut | Sep 5, 2018 |
Frankenstein is a fantastic story. Mary Shelley’s writing is fluid and eloquent. This is the second time I’ve read Frankenstein and I loved it every bit as much now as I did the first time I read it. ( )
  Loni.C. | Aug 17, 2018 |
A fairly quick read, and enjoyable. ( )
  bibliosk8er | Aug 16, 2018 |
This book surprised me. Neither Dr. Frankenstein or his monster were anything like what I expected from their pop-cultural portrayal. Dr. Frankenstein is far from a mad scientist, and the monster is not entirely a victim, or all that sympathetic in my opinion. How to view the pair seems to be very much at the discretion of the reader. Considered a cautionary tale about science going too far, that is also something for the reader to think about, and decide if that really was the case.

On the actual text, this edition features a preface written by Percy Shelley. Don't let it scare you, Mary's writing is much easier to get through. ;). The actual text is shorter than it looks, with about 1/3rd of the book being supplemental material. ( )
  WeeTurtle | Aug 12, 2018 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Frankenstein [Great Illustrated Classics] (Adapted by Malvina G. Vogel) by Malvina G. Vogel

Frankenstein [Step-Up Classic Chillers] by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein: The Graphic Novel by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein [adapted - Treasury of Illustrated Classics] by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
—Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
To Mrs Saville, England. St. Petersburgh, Dec. 11th, 17—. You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Author's Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831))
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers—their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
It was the wretch, the filthy daemon to whom I had given life!
"I have lately been so engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest. But I hope that all those employments are now at an end, and that I am at length free."
I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me.
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.

.dbf

Template:Cite techreport/testcases

Template:Cite thesis/testcases

Template:Convert/Transwiki guide/translate

Template:Infobox book/doc

Wikipedia:List of online reference desks/Science

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Novels

Wikipedia:Phase II feature requests/Wiki shortcuts

Wikipedia:Red flags in edit summaries

Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2015 August 22

Wikipedia:Reference desk archive/Language/April 2006

Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Victor Frankenstein is just a college student who wants to figure out the technical details of how life works. Obsessed with chasing this discovery, he creates something unthinkable. And then things all go wrong. Read a Gothic horror classic easily with this modern English translation. But don't worry about missing anything, because the original unedited 1831 version is here too, along with a scholarly essay.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439475, Paperback)

Frankenstein, loved by many decades of readers and praised by such eminent literary critics as Harold Bloom, seems hardly to need a recommendation. If you haven't read it recently, though, you may not remember the sweeping force of the prose, the grotesque, surreal imagery, and the multilayered doppelgänger themes of Mary Shelley's masterpiece. As fantasy writer Jane Yolen writes of this (the reviewer's favorite) edition, "The strong black and whites of the main text [illustrations] are dark and brooding, with unremitting shadows and stark contrasts. But the central conversation with the monster--who owes nothing to the overused movie image … but is rather the novel's charnel-house composite--is where [Barry] Moser's illustrations show their greatest power ... The viewer can all but smell the powerful stench of the monster's breath as its words spill out across the page. Strong book-making for one of the world's strongest and most remarkable books." Includes an illuminating afterword by Joyce Carol Oates.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 14:47:18 -0400)

Presents the story of Dr. Frankenstein and his obsessive experiment that leads to the creation of a monstrous and deadly creature.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible