Babar and Father Christmas by Jean de…

Babar and Father Christmas (original 1940; edition 2018)

by Jean de Brunhoff (Author)

Series: Babar (7)

Babar, the King of the Elephants, sets out to find Father Christmas and bring him back to visit the children of the Elephants' country.
Member:cellist09
Title:Babar and Father Christmas
Authors:Jean de Brunhoff (Author)
Info:Egmont (2018)

Work Information

Babar and Father Christmas by Jean de Brunhoff (1940)

The usual charming story about Babar, King of the Elephant Country, who is searching for Father Christmas to invite him to visit the Elephant children, as he has never done so before.
Some wording may be problematic these days, and Babar smokes.

You will have to read this aloud even to older kids, because no one learns cursive writing anymore.

The print in this miniature is also very small, and was difficult for my old eyes.

(Dates for most recent reading.) ( )
  librisissimo | Jun 25, 2021 |
Like the others. Deadpan, strange, kind of violent, wonderful illustrations. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 26, 2019 |
Match found in the German National Library.
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
As the last story in the series of Babar Books, Jean De Brunhoff tells the story of Babar traveling to find Father Christmas on behalf of the children in the Elephant’s country. Babar searches far and wide to find Father Christmas so that the children in Elephant’s country can receive Christmas presents from the saint too. This charming edition to the Babar series tells the story through large blocks of narration and a series of colored, drawn illustrations. The text is translated from the original french and requires a high reading level for independent reading. However, it is well suited for a one-on-one read aloud with a younger child or a story time read aloud with older students. The illustrations are indicative of the Babar series and stand alone from textual narrative. The images mostly depict the isolated events that take place on each page through focal illustrations. There are occasional scenic illustrations incorporated into the story as well. Interestingly, this story was the last story written by Jean De Brunhoff before his sudden death and his brother Michel directed the coloring of this book as well as His Children. This book is recommended for purchase as a Christmas themed concept book in a public or school library. (Ages 3-10) ( )
  alyssakimpisarski | Nov 22, 2013 |
Babar sets out to find Father Christmas in this seventh picture-book from Jean de Brunhoff - published in 1940 as Babar et le père Noël, it was the final original Babar book, with all subsequent titles either written by de Brunhoff's son, Laurent, or by ghost-writers - intent upon asking him to include the land of the elephants in his annual Christmas voyage. Traveling to Europe, where he hopes to find the seasonal gift-giver, Babar follows a number of false leads before finally tracking his quarry down at his mountainside cavern dwelling in Bohemia (near the village of PRJMNESWE). Although disappointed to learn that Father Christmas already has a full schedule for Christmas Eve, and cannot fit the elephants into his gift-giving trip, Babar does convince him to vacation in the land of the elephants, successfully setting up a seasonal relationship.

I had mixed feelings about Babar and Father Christmas, which marks the end of my recent Babar reading project - after the initial title, The Story of Babar: The Little Elephant, was chosen recently as a selection for The Picture Book Club to which I belong, I decided to read all of Jean de Brunhoff's original stories. I enjoyed aspects of it - the artwork, as usual, was charming, and I particularly liked the cross-section view of Father Christmas's vast underground complex - but overall, I found the story somewhat disjointed and unappealing. The colonialist themes, to which some have objected (Should We Burn Babar?, etc.), were very much in evidence here, as Babar once again sets out to imitate European customs, even going so far as to journey to Europe itself, in order to fetch them back to his own home country, but there was nothing that was as egregiously offensive as some of the themes in The Travels of Babar (the low point of the series, in my estimation). That said, there was little that really spoke to me, or made a strong favorable impression. Babar's new canine companion, Duck, was a rather cute addition to the cast, I suppose, and I liked some of the visuals. All in all, this was somewhere between two and three stars for me, and a rather lackluster ending to the series. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2013 |

Jean de Brunhoffprimary authorall editionscalculated
Haas, Merle S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One day Zephir calls to his friends, Arthur, Pom, Flora and Alexander:
Listen, listen to this wonderful tale which I've just heard!

Available online at The Internet Archive:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,101,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible