Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen

Hedda Gabler (original 1890; edition 2006)

by Henrik Ibsen (Author), William Archer (Translator), Edmund Gosse (Translator)

Filled with a passion for life that cannot be confined by her marriage or "perfect home," Hedda Gabler strives to find a way to fulfill her desires by manipulating those around her. Former artistic director of the National Theatre and top-flight director of both stage and screen, Richard Eyre helms his own new version of Ibsen's classic at London's Almeida Theatre in Spring 2005.… (more)
Member:Rachel_Cucinella
Title:Hedda Gabler
Authors:Henrik Ibsen (Author)
Other authors:William Archer (Translator), Edmund Gosse (Translator)
Info:Echo Library (2006), Edition: Edition Not Stated, 112 pages
Tags:to-read

Hedda Gabler by Henrik Ibsen (Author) (1890)

English (19)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (21)
Hedda Gabler, daughter of an aristocratic General, has just returned from her honeymoon with George Tesman, an aspiring young academic, reliable but not brilliant, who has combined research with their honeymoon. The reappearance of Tesman’s academic rival, Eilert Lovborg, throws their lives into disarray.
  Gmomaj | Nov 18, 2020 |
An audio production of the classic play. Hedda returns from her honeymoon with her new husband, George, only to find that a former beau of Hedda's has regained a respected position in society and will be a challenge to George in advancing in his career in academia. I found this an interesting if challenging listen. Without actors' faces to read, it becomes a lot more difficult to discern Hedda's motivations throughout the play, how she truly feels about the flirtations she engages in, and how she feels about her final act in the play. Despite that, this is an excellent way to experience the play. ( )
  MickyFine | Jul 10, 2020 |
I can see him. With vineleaves in his hair. Flushed and confident.

I have intended on reading Ibsen my entire adult life. Thinking that perhaps my number may be up, I finally ventured and am glad I did. This play was surprisingly modern and kinetic. Not sure why, but I expected something dour, suffering in the shadows. Violence through understatement. A Scandinavian skewering of morals.

Mismatched couples are such fun--from Middlemarch to The Honeymooners. I'd like to read responses to the character Hedda Gabler herself. There are multitudes in her pauses. This was the first play I read in 2016, surprising as I read 12 the year before. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Why, oh why, do I get the impression that Ibsen didn't like his female protagonists very much?

Or, in other words, is there a specific reason that both Nora (from A Doll's House) and Hedda are written as two rather silly women, both incapable of a rational thought?

Surely, exploring the theme of individuals trapped in situation which they want to escape from has more to offer than half-baked schemes, lies, deception, and artistic illusions?

Ugh... ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Read this for a Lit class... Gosh, Hedda Gabler was not very nice. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 20, 2016 |
What astonishes, however, the critic is the Spartian simplicity of Ibsen's text. There is not a word too much. Sometimes you would wish for a little more redundanccy, a shred of pad, a morsel of stuffing. But it goes on with its sharp, short, saccade maner, and ith is nont the less expressive for that. It is a ship running to destruction under bare poles.

Ibsen, HenrikAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hildebrandt, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meyer, Michael LeversonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a student's study guide

Na, so was - ich glaub wahrhaftig, die sind noch gar nicht auf! (übersetzt von Hans Egon Gerlach)

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,486,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible