The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host (edition 2008)

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: The Host (1)

14,504619255 (3.93)1 / 162
The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:royalhistorian
Title:The Host
Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Sphere (2008), Paperback, 624 pages
Tags:Fictie, Fantasy

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (604)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (619)
This book is far from her previous works. It also, is not like other sci-fi books. Not to spoil the story for you, but the ending made me cry like a little kid. We all have felt like outsiders before and this book magnifies that aspect. The main character, plays a very fine line between villian and heroine. You want to root for her, love her, but you know what she is and has done to be who she is. I also love the tension between her and the rest of the lead characters. I was a book that kept me up, and made me want to blind people with flashlights :) ( )
  clove311 | Jan 9, 2020 |
(original rating: 5 stars)

This place was truly the highest and the lowest of all worlds—the most beautiful senses, the most exquisite emotions...the most malevolent desires, the darkest deeds. Perhaps it was meant to be so. Perhaps without the lows, the highs could not be reached.
This book holds a really special place in my heart. It's the first book I ever read that was over 600 pages, and it was one of the first books that really got me into reading. I used to keep it next to my pillow every night when I went to bed, and I'd flip to my favorite parts (still know them by heart) over and over again, just to experience them again. I love this book, and nothing can ever change that.

I did, however, decide to lower this from a 5 star rating to a 4 star. It just didn't affect me in the same way, the way it once had. Perhaps I've simply numbed myself to it, but it's been over 5 years since I last read it, and I just...didn't feel anything, not really, not the way I used to. I wasn't in love with the love interests, I wasn't absorbed in the drama and the losses. I felt like I was visiting an old friend but that we'd fallen apart for a reason. It was nostalgic and its themes were still very prevalent and well done. I love the concept of this world—and the worlds beyond it—and I love Wanda and Melanie. Jeb is an icon and always will be. It's entirely possible I just didn't like the audiobook reader I listened to, but I can't shake the feeling that something was just off for me. Perhaps another re-read in the future will change my mind, and I'll be enthralled again. Either way, I still love this, and still consider it a personal favorite. But I can't help but miss what once was. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
Everything Meyer writes is a guilty pleasure for me, like watching Jersey Shore or Honey Boo Boo. The Host speaks to the melodramatic adolescent in me, the angst-driven and attention-seeking middle school girl who dreams of fraught-laden love, of being saved from suffering by some strong, handsome man, of the surrender of being trapped in an abusive relationsh--

Wait a second, what was that last part?

Meyer has an obvious thing for terrible, terrible relationships. It's been a while since I read this, but I seem to recall a hate-love-lust-violence dynamic between Wanderer and Jared, the love interest. It's complicated and dynamic and terribly unhealthy, but again, absolutely enthralling. ('Thrall' being a pretty good word for what Wanderer becomes, and what her host is.)

I hate that I read this and didn't completely dislike it, but I don't think I'd want my theoretical kids to pick it up. ( )
  prufrockcoat | Dec 3, 2019 |
Not my favorite out of her writings. It took a bit for me to get into the story. Once I reached 50% the story picked up. While it wasn't horrible, it's not something I can see picking up again to read. ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,789,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible