Priest by Ken Bruen

Priest (2006)

by Ken Bruen

"Ireland, awash with case and greed, no longer turns to the Church for solace or comfort. But the decapitation of Father Joyce in a Galway confessional horrifies even the most jaded citizen." "Jack Taylor, devastated by the recent trauma of personal loss, has always believed himself to be beyond salvation. But a new job offers a fresh start, and an unexpected partnership makes him hope that his one desperate vision - of family - might be fulfilled." "An eerie mix of exorcism, a predatory stalker and an unlikely attraction conspires to lure him into a murderous web of dark conspiracies. The spectre of a child haunts every waking moment."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
Although I enjoy the long elegant sentences from the likes of P.D. James, Ken Bruen's spare prose fizzes with spirit and fully conveys his ideas with a minimum of words. Jack Taylor is even more tortured than most fictional detectives, but he is one of my top picks, affirmed by Iain Glenn who played Jack on the tv series. Cody, his self-appointed sidekick, is a fitting partner. Bruen descibes Ireland, particularly Galway, in such a way that shows the old country alongside the prosperity and changes that have come about in recent years, all of which provides a clearer picture of the current state. He never shies away from controversial issues and here Jack's case involves a priest who abused altar boys and has been found beheaded in the confessional.

Bruen's frequent references to language, literature, and music add to Taylor's personality as well as the atmosphere of Galway.

"She raised her eyes to heaven, said, 'Once the races are over, we're in quare street.' The Irish pronounce queer as quare and it's not anything to do with Gay issues, it's purely for the sound of the word, to give it a full and resounding flavour. We love to taste the vocabulary, swill it around the mouth, let it blossom out into full bloom." ( )
  VivienneR | Jun 16, 2019 |
Another solid story from Ken Bruen. As always an efficient well constructed story featuring one of the most accurate descriptions of an alcoholic you'll probably read about in Jack Taylor. ( )
  njgriffin | Jan 7, 2018 |
After the events in the previous book, the protagonist is released from the place where he's been held and starts to look into the death of a priest. Probably 2.5 to 3 stars because the ending was broadcast from a long way back and was predictable, with too much plucking of the heartstrings. ( )
  quiBee | May 25, 2017 |
Five books into this series and I think I'm beginning to tire of the pattern. I don't know how much more misery and disaster Bruen can heap on Jack Taylor, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick around to see. I loved his original writing style and Jack as a character, but the pattern he is following where things seem to be looking up for Jack and then *wham* he gets it again, well, it's getting a tad old for me. This might be where Jack and I part company. ( )
  AlaMich | Jun 1, 2014 |
Easy to read crime novel. ( )
  sberson | Dec 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,770,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible