The Thin Man

by Dashiell Hammett

Nick Charles is asked by a pretty blonde to help find her father, a wealthy inventor. Nick and his wife Nora are soon caught up in a complicated web of confused identities and cold-blooded murder.

English (128)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (133)
*1.5

Definitely one of those books in which the movie is way better. ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Oct 23, 2022 |
Classic private eye noir. Funnier than you would expect. Wonderful dialogue. I think I like him better than Raymond Chandler. ( )
  JohnMatthewFox | Oct 17, 2022 |

I think the only nice female character Hammett ever wrote is Nora Charles. Admittedly, I haven't read all of his books, but Hammett's females are rarely nice people.

I have decided that Mimi is a sociopath who never grew up. She's the type who takes her frustrations and angers out on her children (despite having read this book before and realizing that this is a time period when parents had more power over their children, even 20 year olds [in what would now be considered abusive ways], I still find it disturbing that Dorothy shows up with welts on her back and bruises on her wrists from her mother beating her and no one really reacts to them). Dorothy does have the bad luck of sounding a bit like a spoiled brat, trying to manipulate Nick with her looks and ways, but then her mother, Mimi, isn't much better. Nick isn't too fond of either one of them.

How Nick manages to think clearly while being completely sloshed most of the time is a puzzle in itself. Still, he figures out the mystery, why everyone and yet no one has seen Wynant (the murder victim/suspect) for months, why Julia Wolf is killed early on and just who did what. ( )
  fuzzipueo | Apr 24, 2022 |
Hammett is probably still my favorite mystery writer. Somewhere along the line I probably had the misunderstanding that this was only a series of movies & wasn't in bk form. How foolish of me. It's Hammett, it's great. Even having seen the movie, probably at least twice, didn't quite ruin it for me. Do have to say, though, that William Powell as Nick Charles & Myrna Loy as Nora Charles is as perfect a casting as I've ever witnessed. If there're any Hammett buffs out there who have 'suffered' the highly improbable fate of not having checked out the movie be duly advised to do so.

ANYWAY, this has a fairly complex cast of diverse & amusing characters & Hammett even constructs the novel to give himself a chance to quote at length about the Alfred Packer cannibalism incident. I remember being in Colorado & eating somewhere that had a "Packer Burger" - I think at a university. There, now, I got to use Hammett as an excuse to tell that story. It's all very slippery w/ the characters rushing in & out every wch way. There's even the possibility of some implied bisexuality on Nora's part - or maybe I'm just reading that into it.

ANYANYWAY, there's not much 'need' for me to review this given that it was written in 1933 & has, as of this writing, therefore been around for 77 yrs now. In other words, many people will've written more astutely about it than I ever will. Let's just say: highly recommended for people who like labyrinths of personalities. ( )
  tENTATIVELY | Apr 3, 2022 |
Great, tense, sharp writing. Many twists and turns in this who done it. ( )
  caanderson | Mar 27, 2022 |

Hammett, Dashiellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AzarnickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barbieri, PeterCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoffman, H. LawrenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huhtala, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lillian
I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014119460X, 0241962528

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,941,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible