The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

The Thin Man

by Dashiell Hammett

Nick Charles is asked by a pretty blonde to help find her father, a wealthy inventor. Nick and his wife Nora are soon caught up in a complicated web of confused identities and cold-blooded murder.

English (104)  Spanish (4)  All languages (108)
I read this book many years ago and loved Hammett's writting - I was however not as thrilled with this audio version. I found myself stuggling with the narrator's voice. It didn't mesh with the story to me - it didn't sound the way I thought it sould. So 5 stars for the writing 3 stars for the reading. ( )
  Colette_Miranda | Jul 29, 2019 |
2017 Read Harder - Read a book published between 1900 and 1950

America was surely a different place in the '30s ( )
  Muhrrynn | Jul 11, 2019 |
I have a vague recollection of having seen a Thin Man movie back when I was a kid. So I wanted to read the original. It is pretty good. Basically it seems that the author meticulously copied his style from the character, Guy Noir, from Garrison Keillor (obviously the other way 'round). What I learned from the book is that Asta is a miniature schnauzer (not wirehaired fox terrier as in the movie) and that the "thin man" wasn't a reference to Nick Charles, but to the guy Nick Charles was trying to find, an inventor of some kind. ( )
  lgpiper | Jun 21, 2019 |
This book introduces Nick and Nora Charles, who just so happen to be a boozing couple that hangs out in speakeasies and solves mysteries. Since I do a lot of crossword puzzles as well, I am familiar with the name of their dog, Asta, as well. As it happens, this was Dashiell Hammett's last published novel. It doesn't tie up the plot neatly but as Nick says near the end, all a detective can do is find clues and attempt to fit them into a theory of what happened. Even if it is all 'rather unsatisfactory.' ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
I wanted to read this classic because I loved the movie and like reading old time mysteries. I could hear William Powell's voice in all the dialogue so in that sense the movie was true to the book.
But I just didn't enjoy it. Nothing wrong with the story;just didn't enjoy it and took quite a while to finish when I usually read a mystery in a day. ( )
  book58lover | May 27, 2019 |

Hammett, Dashiellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AzarnickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huhtala, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lillian
I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014119460X, 0241962528

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,851,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible