The Thin Man

by Dashiell Hammett

Nick Charles is asked by a pretty blonde to help find her father, a wealthy inventor. Nick and his wife Nora are soon caught up in a complicated web of confused identities and cold-blooded murder.

English (119)  Spanish (4)  Danish (1)  All languages (124)
Clearly written... could be funny. No one to like. Too much swearing. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Nick and Nora Charles get involved with the Wynant family when Dorothy asks Nick if he knows where her father, Clyde Wynant is. This results in him re-acquanting himself with solicitor Herbert Macaulay, and the now divorced Mrs Wyant, who has recently re-married, Mrs Mimi Jorgensen. Then the bodies start appearing.
Just a wonderful well-written read ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
I'm glad I read this classic but have no desire to read anything else by the author. Although I was told that his other books aren't like The Thin Man in tone so maybe, someday, I'll be persuaded to try another.

I didn't have any idea who did it - and honestly couldn't have - until the very end, which was nice. But I also didn't like any characters, so that wasn't nice at all. Nora was the closest I came to liking someone and there really wasn't much more of her besides getting Nick drinks.

Between the shrewish women and the sexist men (yes, I know it's the cultural atmosphere of the time), I didn't like the book as much as I had hoped I would. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
2021-05, fiction, mystery, detective, pi, private investigator, hard boiled, 1930s, murder, police, investigation, crime, drinking, alcohol, private eye, noir
  herzogbr | May 21, 2021 |
I loved this book. It is the classic mystery: gangsters, blondes, gigolos, policemen and an alcoholic detective in the 1930’s New York. I recommend it to be read with a glass of martini. Does anything else have to be said? ( )
1 vote RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |

Hammett, Dashiellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
AzarnickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hoffman, H. LawrenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Huhtala, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lillian
I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014119460X, 0241962528

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,438,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible