For Your Arms Only by Caroline Linden

Alec has spent the past five years as a spy when he was accused of treason, and found that serving his country once again may be his last hope in finding the evidence to exonerate him. He is therefore sent back to his home and family, to investigate the disappearance of a soldier that has retired for quite some time now. He then comes across a fierce woman who comes close to shooting him on sight. To say he is intrigued is a understatement. He then learns that she is the daughter of the man he is looking for. Cressida knows that something has happened to her father, since he has gone missing longer than previous occasions and they are very low on funds and could be out of a home sooner than they think. She knows that she has her sister and her grandmother to think of. So despite her reservation of joining up with a traitor, she works with Alec to discover where her father has gone. What she doesn't expect is to find that there is something more to Alec, she starts to feel something intense and emotional about a man who may be accused as a traitor but could be the most trustworthy man she has ever known and could take her down a path of desire and even love.

The Hero (Alexander Hayes)
Alec joined the military and fought valiantly in the war against France. But then he was betrayed and somehow he was framed and labeled a traitor and left for dead. Barely having surviving the encounter, he was asked to become a spy for England. So for the past five years he has hidden his true identity and everyone he has held dear knows him to be dead...until now. When he is sent on a mission, he meets a woman who changes his life. Cressida makes him believe in living again, and in love. He never thought he would love again after being betrayed many years ago by his brother, but now he has found a woman worth fighting for.

The Heroine (Cressida Turner)
Cressida is desperate to find her father. After he goes missing for close to a month, she feels as though something is very wrong. She knows she needs to find him, especially when she knows they may be out of a home soon. Cressida has had to be the strong one in the family. With her sister the passive and meek one, she has had to bear the responsibilities and take lead in all matters. Cressida knows that it is up to her to find her father, even if that means joining up with Alec whom she believes to be a traitor to his country. But as she works with him, she find much more beneath his tough shell and find a tender and protective man who shows her passion.

My Thougthts
This is the first time I have read from this author, and I am glad I finally did. I should have tried her out long before now...but you know what they say better late than never. I just love a good spy romance and this one satisfied me. It took a few chapters before I fully got into it, but once I did, I found it a irresistible read and unable to put it down. I loved seeing how these two interacted with each other. Cressida has a strong personality and at first she resists her attraction to Alec, but doesn't give in to him easily or right away. There isn't strong sexual tension until the latter half of the book, its more gradual, as is their relationship. There isn't a right away attraction that is instantly gratified. I really love it when this happens, it doesn't always occur in historical romances. But I love it when its more of a building up in their love connection and Caroline Linden does it beautifully. The plot had a very mysterious hint to it, and I was always guessing how it turns out, and by the end I was surprised but in a good way. The different twists and turns throughout the story line kept me engaged and the connection that is built between Cressida and Alec is enthralling. A Captivating read that will seize every emotion and keep you on your toes....Caroline Linden doesn't disappoint. Definitely would recommend this author to anyone that enjoys a good historical romance that is fast paced and keeps your guessing. One you don't want to miss out on reading. A Keeper. ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 28, 2014 |

He'd never been shot by a woman...

He was once a distinguished army officer, a man of honor and heroism. But that was before Alexander Hayes was wrongly accused of treason. Forced to abandon everything he held dear, Alec became a spy for England in an attempt to clear his name. His latest commission sounds simple: locate a retired soldier gone missing. But it also sends him back home, to a family who'd thought him dead for five years—and a woman who'd like to shoot him.

Everything Cressida Turner's ever heard about Alec tells her that he's a traitor of the worst kind, and yet this enigmatic, infuriating, and utterly captivating man may be the only person she can trust—and the only one who can find her missing father. With nowhere else to turn, she reluctantly joins forces with Alec, unprepared for both the dangerous secrets that threaten them and the relentless passion that drives them into each other's arms.

"He was once a distinguished army officer, a man of honor and heroism. But that was before Alexander Hayes was wrongly accused of treason. Forced to abandon everything he held dear, Alec became a spy for England in an attempt to clear his name. His latest commission sounds simple: locate a retired soldier gone missing. But it also sends him back home, to a family who'd thought him dead for five years--and a woman who'd like to shoot him. Everything Cresside Turner's ever heard about Alec tells her he's a traitor of the worst kind, and yet this enigmatic, infuriating, and utterly captivating man may be the only person she can trust--and the only one who can find her missing father. With nowhere else to turn, she reluctantly joins forces with Alec, unprepared for both the dangerous secrets that threaten them and the relentless passion that drives them into each other's arms."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,049,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible