An Earthworm's Life (Nature Upclose) by John…

An Earthworm's Life (Nature Upclose) (edition 2001)

by John Himmelman (Author)

Describes, in simple text and illustrations, the daily activities and life cycle of the earthworm.
Member:dnberkeley
Title:An Earthworm's Life (Nature Upclose)
Authors:John Himmelman (Author)
Info:Childrens Pr (2001), 32 pages

An Earthworm's Life (Nature Upclose) by John Himmelman

With simple text and full-page pictures, we follow a year in an earthworm's life.
  wichitafriendsschool | Aug 27, 2019 |
This book is for 3-5 year old's. The book is about the life cycle, benefits, habitat, and life of a worm. This can help children connect a lesson or unite on worms to gather further knowledge and question.

source- Personal library, Amazon
  jocelynhillyer24 | Jun 5, 2019 |
Summary:
This book talks about the life of an earthworm. It talks about the eggs they have and what happens to them when they get out the egg. IT talks about what an earthworm eats and the struggles an earthworm has to live through. It also shows what happens during rains for the worms. I think this is a good book to show the information about earthworms.
Reflection:
I could use this book in a science class. I could use it to show the kids how and earthworm lives from the start. We could talk about what they eat and then take the kids outside, or call it a field trip to an open area of land to see if they can find worms. ( )
  samuelsaiz | Nov 17, 2013 |
This is good for any worm life cycle studies. Simple narrative nonfiction. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Summary:
This informational book is about the life of an earthworm. Itshows how the worms are 'hidden under our feet.' It shows the egg case where the young ones are formed and that after two months the young ones crawl out of the egg case. Earthworms tunnels through the soil and feed on dead leaves at night. They also eat soil and passed out this soil in piles of round balls, called castings on top of the soil. The book highlights how worms are fully grown by fall and eat dead plants until winter. They escape the mole and is strong enough to tug away from hungry birds. the rainy season chases the earthworm to the surface where it walks the surface of the ground until it finds a safer place to dwell. In this case a boy finds the earthworm on a basketball court and throws it into a garden.

Personal Reaction:
I was very impressed by this book and I found it very interesting. I especially liked how the graphic seemed so real. an example is seen on the first page where its states that earthworms walk beneath our feet. There was a picture of a barefoot at the surface of the soil as well as the earthworm below tunneling through the soil. I think kids would love that and even see the importance of shoes on their feet. What drew my attention was the part in this book that explained what happens after the earthworm passes out the digested soil. I am sure when i was younger I was sp amazed at those piles of balls on the ground, I amuzingly played with it. If I only knew it was the faeces of worm I am sure I would have never played in it. I also liked the glossary at the end which would help to develop children's vocabulary in a fun loving fashion.

Extensions:
This book can be used in Science as an introduction to a lesson on the life cycle of earthworms. For an activity, students can be asked to draw a labelled diagram of the life cycle of earthworms and display it in the Science corner. It can also be used in a word recognition lesson for reading where children can be asked to fill in the new words learnt from this book in blank spaces. Sentences from this book can be used just to open children's minds to applying these words to their vocabulary. ( )
  SharineHodge | Apr 15, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible