Canticle by Ken Scholes
2011158,418 (4.08)3

Not quite as good as the first one but still a great read. I can't wait to see where it goes next. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Hmmmm, I'm going to say good book but there were definitely parts that I did.not.like...at all! However, I can't get into those "parts" because it would give away too much of the book. When I finished, I understood why he wrote it this way.... ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
Bland, great ideas and big potentials .... but sadly lacking in prose. ( )
  Schedim | Jan 30, 2014 |
I actually liked this book much more than the second book and it was shaping up to be REALLY good but then I was very disappointed with the ending. Seemed like not enough closure. I also got lost a little a couple times. I'm not sure it's because it's on audio and I got distracted or because the author just kind of left the blanks to be filled in by the reader and I didn't get it.

Looks like the 3rd book is out and maybe 2 more are planned and since this book left things kind of hanging I'm hoping there's some closure in the 3rd book. ( )
  ragwaine | Jan 16, 2012 |
This is the second book in the Psalms of Isaak series, and once again it concentrates upon a series of interesting characters, primarily Jin, Rudolfo, and Isaak. The mysteries encountered in the first book deepen; I won't say more than that because I don't want to give anything away.

If you have not read the first book of the series I suggest you start there. The Psalms of Isaak stories are engrossing, fascinating and beautifully written; the stories are post-apocalyptic (set in a future world thousands of years after most of the world was laid to waste), steampunk (mechanical birds and robots live side by side with a technologically backward populous), fantasy (dreams come true, magick is real and regularly used), epic tale, romance, political intrigue, and mystery (who is pulling strings?). It is hard to characterize the series, but perhaps that doesn't really matter - the characters are what pulls the reader in. There is a remarkable cast of complicated, interesting, believable, and sympathetic characters, who take turns narrating. The story flows seamlessly, though, and getting to know all of these disparate characters so closely makes the story more suspenseful and appealing. I really care about all of them.

Ken Scholes' writing is smooth. His' world is carefully crafted, and he lets details unfold naturally. It is apparent that a cataclysmic event caused vast swaths of land to be destroyed and people to fear technology generations later, but exactly why happened and why is gradually introduced as the story progresses. This adds an element of intrigue to the already intriguing mystery of why the capital was destroyed. ( )
  cmwilson101 | Jan 30, 2011 |
"Ken Scholes has already made the leap from good to great…if you thought Lamentation was impressive, then just wait until you get hold of Canticle."
added by cmwilson101 | editFantasy Book Critic

"Not only is Scholes a capable world builder, he ably handles the tough task of keeping the series momentum going, intensifying the mystery so deftly that even if readers can't foresee where the story's going, it's clear that the author knows exactly what he's doing."
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon, Kirkus Reviews

The Psalms of Isaak is a superb series. Scholes' has all the story elements of epic fantasy in place: memorable characters living in a vibrantly complex world of magic and ancient history, with plot twists and revelations sprung at just the right moments. More than that, his storytelling verve and craftsmanship makes his pages sing. He's written scenes of apocalypse and steaming metal men and invisible assassins that I won't be forgetting any time soon. Really good stuff."
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon, bestselling author of Acacia David Anthony Durham

Sunrise on the Churning Wastes was a terrifying glory.

The sequel to Scholes's stellar debut, 2008's Lamentation, ingeniously fuses epic fantasy and postapocalyptic science fiction. Magicked assassins kill numerous leaders from across the Named Lands and send the region into economic and political turmoil. Amid the chaos, Jin Li Tam gives birth to General Rudolfo's son, sickly Jakob. As Rudolfo sets out in search of a cure, young Marsh Queen Winters ascends the throne of her people only to realize her past has been an elaborate lie; former Androfrancine Pope Petronus risks his life to bring some semblance of peace to the realm; and Nebios ben Hebda uncovers bombshell revelations regarding the Order's metal men and the history of the Old World. Abounding in prophecy, myth and mystery, this grand-scale saga is a towering storytelling tour de force.

The noble allies of General Rudolfo gather for a feast in honor of his first child, a celebration that is attacked by invisible assassins who murder all of the guests and deliver an ominous message for the Hidden Pope Petronus.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,620,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible