HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Kill Me (2006)

by Stephen White

Series: Dr. Alan Gregory (14)

Throw out everything you think you know about twists, turns, and surprises. Get ready for the next big thing. Get ready to meet the Death Angels. We've all been there. A loved one or a dear friend becomes desperately ill or is tragically injured. Someone - maybe even you - says, "If that ever happens to me, I wish someone would just . . . kill me." What if you could choose when to die? But once you decide, you can't change your mind. Ever. No matter what. Welcome to the next step in the evolution of suspense fiction, to an in-your-face/what-would-you-do? topical thriller. Kill Me is a brilliantly conceived roller-coaster ride that zeros in on some of the most contentious issues of our time, the human yearning for connection between the choices we make about our lives and deaths. Kill Me brings Alan Gregory face-to-face with the most challenging case of his career. As always, White's characters are indelible and the dialogue is dead-on, but Kill Me is fresh and thought provoking in a way that's so uncommon in crime fiction. Kill Me delivers on all the promise of White's earlier work and then raises the bar in an unforgettably inventive tale of life and death. This is the book that you won't be able to put down, but more to the point, this is the book that won't go away. Listeners will be asking each other: "What would you do?" "If you could sign up - really - would you?"… (more)

In order to really appreciate this book, you should read "Stephen White On Kill Me"from his website. I put the link at the end of this review. Alan Gregory is framed in the story but is not in the meat of it. A side note is Stephen White must LOVE cars in order to give some of the descriptions he does in this book. This is a striking book that brings up a lot of end-of-life questions. It makes you think.

http://www.authorstephenwhite.com/Interviews/KMInterview/kminterview.html ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
I've had this book for several years now and the bright yellow cover always screamed at me wanting to be read. I am glad I finally listened because this is one hell of a ride!
This is the story of a man who loves living life to the fullest. This same passion towards life is the deciding factor that makes him hire the services of the Death Angels. What this organization does is charge a fortune to kill you. Yes: you decide when you will require their services by setting a series of lines that if crossed, your life would be terminated. Lines like having an accident that leaves you severely damaged physically, or if a disease takes ahold of your body, or any other event that the person considers "no longer living life with quality". Once the contract is signed and paid in full, there is no cancellation policy. None. No matter what. This precise clause in the contract is what makes this book and this story a page turner that delivers an ending that will keep you thinking about it for several days. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  AleAleta | Jan 27, 2014 |
Great mystery - fast action all the way. Also makes you think if there is ever a point when your life is no longer worth living. Great narration by Dick Hill. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
I really liked how White worked out all the details and possible questions in this intriguing thriller. The audio was great. I really couldn't quite figure out the ending ahead of time which was a big plus! ( )
  nyiper | Apr 20, 2011 |
The concept of this novel is unique, but one I would never choose. Provocative, with an unexpected, thrilling ending. This is the best of White's above average thrillers. I couldn't put it down.
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jun 29, 2009 |
for my mother
It started simply enough.
I wasn't the kind of guy who stayed up late wondering about the ultimate destination of the billions of sperm I'd launched since the fateful day I'd enthusiastically volunteered to slaughter my virginity with a willing young saintess on the alter of adolescent hyperarousal.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,812,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible